My Old Kentucky Home

  • Bear in Oz
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2002
      I was listening to the 2nd Edition sing this tune on a CD with the Growing
      Girls....loved it.
      That quartet has the kind of sound that I love...and they sing this tune
      flawlessly.

      Question is this....where can I get that arrangement, and is there a
      learning tape for it hanging around somewhere...I figure this would be a
      great teaching song for any new ensembles starting up in the Art Form....and
      being in Australia, we have a lot of those:)

      Thanks in advance,

      bear
      *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
      Bear In Oz
      Sydney Australia
      Coach
      Sydney Harmony Chorus
      Silver Medallist, Australia
      bearinoz@...
    • Benjamin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
        Does anyone know how to obtain a legal copy of the arrangement of My Old Kentucky Home
        that says "arr. Fisher" at the top? It sounds very similar (if not identical) to one that has also
        been identified as being arranged by David Harrington. If it is identical, I can just buy David
        Harrington's arrangement, but does anyone know why the sheet music would say "Fisher" on
        it? And the tag is listed in "Classic Tags" as having been written by Doug Harrington.

        Any help on these mysteries would be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Ben McDaniel
        Prairie Fire Tenor
      • Holly Harrington
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hi Ben!
          David Harrington arranged the version as recorded by The Second
          Edition. You might have a copy taken off the recording (yikes!) and
          maybe what reads "Fisher" was meant to be "Foster" as Stephen Foster
          wrote the song and lyrics? Not sure about the tag credit, but it's at
          least in the family as Doug and David are brothers :) If you want to
          listen to a demo of David's arrangement to compare, you can go here to
          listen: http://homepage.mac.com/studiodhdavid/FileSharing1.html
          If it's the same one, you can purchase a legal copy directly from
          David. david@...

          Hope that helps!
          Holly Harrington
          SAI, CAL, Reg. #24
          bari - Paper Dolls qt

          On Feb 1, 2009, at 4:02 AM, Benjamin wrote:

          > Does anyone know how to obtain a legal copy of the arrangement of My
          > Old Kentucky Home
          > that says "arr. Fisher" at the top? It sounds very similar (if not
          > identical) to one that has also
          > been identified as being arranged by David Harrington. If it is
          > identical, I can just buy David
          > Harrington's arrangement, but does anyone know why the sheet music
          > would say "Fisher" on
          > it? And the tag is listed in "Classic Tags" as having been written
          > by Doug Harrington.
          >
          > Any help on these mysteries would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ben McDaniel
          > Prairie Fire Tenor

        • ScottandScarlett Noth
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
            Is that the same arrangement as the one that is sung by "The Real Deal"?

            See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SFS7MHAiVo

            I'm looking for that arrangement.

            Scott Noth
            Heyworth, IL

          • Holly Harrington
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
              Yes, it is the same arrangement. You can order by contacting David
              directly: info@...
              FYI - David has a second, updated (19 yrs later) version of that
              arrangement available, as well. He added interest to the arrangement,
              and made it a stronger, bbshp contest ballad. Both versions are
              available.

              Thanks!
              Holly Harrington
              SAI, CAL Region #24
              bari-Paper Dolls qt

              On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:38 PM, ScottandScarlett Noth wrote:

              > Is that the same arrangement as the one that is sung by "The Real
              > Deal"?
              >
              > See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SFS7MHAiVo
              >
              > I'm looking for that arrangement.
              >
              > Scott Noth
              > Heyworth, IL

            • Shaun
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
                Can someone tell me who arranged My Old Kentucky Home and let me know if possible what the stock number is? I know there are several arrangements of this, and I am not sure which one I am looking for.
                Thanks so much. Please just shoot me an email if you can help.
                Thanks,
                Shaun Whisler
                Bass of Back in Business
                Director of the Overland Stage Chorus
                Bass of Heart of America Chorus

                shaunwhisler@...
              • Steve Bangham
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
                  David Harrington has a wonderful arrangement of this song.
                  Second Edition also sang this beautifully.

                  Steve Bangham
                  East York Barbershoppers

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On 30-Mar-09, at 8:16 PM, "Shaun" <shaunwhisler@...> wrote:

                  Can someone tell me who arranged My Old Kentucky Home and let me know if possible what the stock number is? I know there are several arrangements of this, and I am not sure which one I am looking for.
                  Thanks so much. Please just shoot me an email if you can help.
                  Thanks,
                  Shaun Whisler
                  Bass of Back in Business
                  Director of the Overland Stage Chorus
                  Bass of Heart of America Chorus

                  shaunwhisler@...

                • Dave Knapp
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
                    The BHS website is not very intuitive when it comes to finding anything, so here are some instructions for searching the music library of arrangements:

                    1. Go to barbershop.org
                    2. Click on GET MUSIC tab on the far left
                    3. When the page refreshes, don't bother looking at what is being displayed; instead, look under the GET MUSIC tab again and find "SEARCH MUSIC LIBRARY".
                    4. When the page refreshes you can now look at what is being displayed. Click on "Click here to search Music Library". This will download you a PDF file containing the arrangements catalog.

                    I hope this helps.