Exploring the Great Northwest! - Part 4

  • harmonetreporter@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002
      On Saturday we woke to more partly sunny skies (sun-breaks they call them
      here!) and it was a good day to head downtown again to the famous Space
      Needle, the symbol of Seattle and the 1962 World's Fair. We rode the 41
      second
      elevator to the observation deck 520 feet above the city, and got a great
      360-degree view of the downtown area, across Elliott Bay and Lake Union
      and Lake Washington in the other direction. We were able to see all the
      way to the Cascade Mountains and on toward Canada, for miles and miles
      in all directions. Magnificent!

      From there we walked over to the Pacific Science Center, and watched the
      3-D IMAX film on the International Space Station, and strolled through the
      various science exhibits on dinosaurs, nature, insects, technology,
      computers,
      and the like. Cool!

      We blew the whole afternoon around the 74-acre campus of Seattle Center,
      and finally drove a few more blocks toward the water, where we went to Pier
      55 and picked up the Argosy boat that ferried us across the bay to Blake
      Island, in a beautiful hour-long tour on our way to Tillicum Village. There
      we
      were greeted by Northwest Coast American Indians, where we enjoyed a
      traditional steamed salmon dinner and watched a display of Native American
      dances inside a traditional looking longhouse...Of course every longhouse
      comes with its own gift shop, and after perusing thru there and doing our
      part
      to support the local Native American craft industry, we headed back across
      the bay at sunset, enjoying another marvelous day in downtown Seattle.
      We got ice cream at the pier, and walked around the pier areas a bit,
      before escaping once again across the water to our Bellevue haven.

      More later!

      Regards,
      Steve Tremper
      tremper@...