Exploring the Great Northwest! - Part 1

  • harmonetreporter@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hi Gang -

      While I am not officially "Harmonet Reporting," I thought I would try to
      send a few thoughts
      out to y'all as I have time...bringing the family out to Oregon from North
      Carolina was a big
      financial decision, but we decided it was important to get out here and
      explore part of the
      great USA that we've never been to. And we are having a great time so far!

      We flew out from Raleigh on Wednesday the 26th, changing planes in Phoenix
      (didn't see
      any black smoke clouds from the forest fires, but I'm sure they were not
      far away) and got
      to Portland in the early afternoon. The best decision we made was in
      upgrading our rental
      car to a Ford Escape, a mini-SUV type vehicle that was fun to drive and
      perfect for climbing
      the mountains around the Portland/Seattle area...plus carrying our huge
      suitcases!

      No sooner had we arrived in Oregon than we LEFT the state...heading north
      across the
      Columbia River and into Washington State, a couple of hours north to Kelso,
      where we
      relaxed and later took a little drive out in the countryside to get a look
      around. There were
      lumber and logging trucks everywhere, and huge stacks of logs all over the
      place. The
      Douglas and Noble firs were a wonderful change from the North Carolina pine
      we have
      been so used to...and the weather was gorgeous, in the mid 70's, low
      humidity, a little
      cloudy but still lots of blue sky...amazing! We thought we'd be huddling
      under ponchos
      the whole time.

      We crashed for the rest of the day and relaxed in the hotel pool, and were
      falling asleep
      while the sun had barely gone down...that three hour difference is
      significant! It was just
      after 9:00pm, but to us it was midnight! And we had been up since 5:00am in
      NC...
      zzzzzzzzzzz

      More later!

      Regards,