Re(3): [bbshop] Double-wide

  • William Young
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2002
      This is a bit off-topic, excepting if you travel to bbshop events it may
      happen to you: pay-for-two (in the case of Bob) or be-squashed-by, in the case
      of others.

      Darn airline seats are small, no getting around it. But if we widen the seats
      and reduce the number of seats as a result (since the airplane is finite), the
      price will go up big-time. I've shared armrests in coach and that's OK, but
      if I were next to someone who was so *large* that they couldn't have the
      armrest down, so that I was squashed or my space were invaded, I'd be mad and
      ask to be reseated. And if no one else could get in my seat because of the
      neighbor, then... pay up, pal. Sorry. Airplane only has so many seats. It's
      not discrimination (because you weren't barred from the plane because of
      size), but you're taking something *I* should have had, and so if I don't pay
      for it (because I can't sit in it), you should. No free lunch! Also, in the
      event of an emergency, will we be able to get out?

      Bob's a great guy and a super barbershopper. But I travel by air a lot, and
      my sister's a captain (USAirways). Just as the carry-on baggage is limited
      (only so much space to go 'round), the carry-on, um, volume has to be limited
      (only so much seat space). They make parents pay for kids occupying seats: if
      you occupy your seat and my seat, pay up!

      Bill Young
      Chairman's Preferred (for now) on USAirways
    • Paul Agnew
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
        Frankly, my seat is always plenty wide enough, and I always get the window!

        See you in Portland!

        Cheers,

        Paul
        Captain - JetBlue Airways