Re: Barbershop Quartet Microphone

  • bari4point0
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 7:54 PM
      I'm very excited to know that the NT-4 is finally available. I've
      recorded with four Rode NT-2's (mono) when we did our recording and
      we were really impressed with them. The Nt-4 is Rode's
      first "stereo" mic and I'm happy to hear Shelley back up everything I
      had heard about it before it was available anywhere. I had talked to
      a Rode dealer many months ago and he was VERY excited about it
      coming "soon". We currently record rehearsals with sony minidiscs
      (700's) and have both the Sony 907 and Sony 957 mics. Both
      are "very" functional, but they're not anywhere near the quality of
      a Rode mic. My understanding is that they are wired a little
      differently than other mics, so other cables may not work with
      them...? I wonder if the new NT-4 can work with a "mini-plug" stereo
      cable so it can be used with minidisc recorders?

      -jerry-

      --- In bbshop@y..., Shelley Herman <saherman@p...> wrote:
      > To those Harmonetters that have been asking about a microphone that
      will
      > properly pick up all the voices in a barbershop quartet>
      > The unit is the RODE NT-4 stereo microphone.
      > www.rodemicrophones.com/NT4ComingSoon.htm
    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1 10:06 PM
        bari4point0 wrote:

        > I'm very excited to know that the NT-4 is finally available. I've
        > recorded with four Rode NT-2's (mono) when we did our recording and
        > we were really impressed with them. The Nt-4 is Rode's
        > first "stereo" mic and I'm happy to hear Shelley back up everything I
        > had heard about it before it was available anywhere. I had talked to
        > a Rode dealer many months ago and he was VERY excited about it
        > coming "soon". We currently record rehearsals with sony minidiscs
        > (700's) and have both the Sony 907 and Sony 957 mics. Both
        > are "very" functional, but they're not anywhere near the quality of
        > a Rode mic. My understanding is that they are wired a little
        > differently than other mics, so other cables may not work with
        > them...? I wonder if the new NT-4 can work with a "mini-plug" stereo
        > cable so it can be used with minidisc recorders?

        It comes with a "mini-plug" cable that will fit right into your mini disc!

        Shelley A. Herman
        Whittier Chapter
        saherman@...

      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1 10:19 PM
          JHunna1@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 5/1/2002 10:39:40 PM Mid-Atlantic Daylight Time,
          > saherman@... writes:
          >
          > > I also compared it to my
          > > RCA 77DX mic for pickup pattern, and when used in mono it picked up the
          > > outside voices of a corpulent quartet.
          > >

          > Shelley - a "corpulent quartet"? Did they have that "big sound"? :-)

          No, but they do, out of necessity, stand farther apart!

          Shelley A. Herman
          Whittier Chapter
          saherman@...
        • Sam Vigil Jr.
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2 12:02 PM
            NT-4 can be had from Oregon WITH NO SALES TAX!...:-)
            http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020501192914012231136087893810/searc
            h/g=home?q=nt4
            or www.musiciansfriend.com.

            A local member invested in the NT-2 a couple or three years ago or so,
            they've done sound for several area bbshop shows including ours, and we've
            been very pleased with the results.

            And quartets really like performing with the NT-4...

            - - -
            Sam Vigil Jr.
            Top Deck Quartet ... www.TopDeckQuartet.com
            Greater Portland Vocal Gentry ... www.VocalGentry.org
            2002 International Convention Committee, Marketing & PR
            ... www.VocalGentry.org/portland/

            NPR's Present at the Creation: Barbershop Quartets
            http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/barbershop/

            Message 5 of 10 , May 2 1:14 PM
              D**n numbers... shoulda read NT-2... as in quartets really like is when my
              friend does the shows and he uses his NT-2...

            • dbaudio@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 3 8:58 AM
                I have been consideriong the Rode mic as an alternative to the more expensive Schoeps stero mic that I use. My colleagues concur with Shelley that it is indeed a fine microphone. I will be testing one soon and will offer a comparison to the Schoeps stereo mic I used at MAD, RMD and with "Michigan Jake" at this weekends Northbrook show.

                I will state without even hearing the mic that it is a steal at 500.00. There is nothing I have heard that is a viable quartet mic at that price.

                It sounds like a great deal for anyone unable or unwilling to spend 4000.00 for the extreme high end mics both Shelley and I use.

                Daryl Bornstein
              • Dan Proctor
                Message 7 of 10 , May 7 5:21 AM
                  Jerry,

                  If you look on Rode's website they state the cable is a hybrid. It has 2
                  cannon male plugs (for plugging into regular mic cables) and a 1/8" stereo
                  mini plug (for plugging into minidisc and other digital recorders with
                  phantom power supplied on the plug).

                  Link to NT-4 info . . .
                  http://www.rodemicrophones.com/NT4ComingSoon.htm

                  Later,

                  Dan Proctor
                  Proctor Web Productions http://www.PwPCentral.net
                  The Metropolitans http://www.Metropolitans.org
                  Sunshine District http://www.SunshineNet.org

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 7 6:58 AM
                    Dan Proctor wrote:

                    > Jerry,
                    >
                    > If you look on Rode's website they state the cable is a hybrid. It has 2
                    > cannon male plugs (for plugging into regular mic cables) and a 1/8" stereo
                    > mini plug (for plugging into minidisc and other digital recorders with
                    > phantom power supplied on the plug).

                    Actually it comes with two cables. The first is a 10" 5 pin XL female for the
                    back of the mic to two 3 pin XL males to connect to the normal mic cables.
                    The second cable is about 6' with a 5 pin XL for the back of the mic and a
                    stereo mini plug to connect to minidiscs, etc.

                    Shelley A. Herman
                    Whittier Chapter
                    saherman@...