Re: [bbshop] just one more...bbs/dci

  • goldmedl@theramp.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 11:24 AM
      >I know that none of the BBS organizations would ever consider an age-
      >out rule, but I think the size thing is worth discussing. And NO,
      >I'm not saying that I think we should go that way, but it could
      >solve a lot of problems with some of the monster choruses we've got
      >out there.

      Laurie - Having seen for myself what can happen to a chorus that grows too
      big too fast, sometimes the "monster chorus'" problems end up forcing the
      chorus itself to take other measures to keep a handle on size.

      There is indeed an observable law of diminishing returns when it comes to
      chorus size.

      The "monster choruses", as you put it, with 150+ members, have problems of
      their own - how to squeeze (and uncomfortably so) X number of members on
      the limited risers, how to costume them all (think big $ and logistics),
      how to get them to move and sing in synch. I've seen the monster choruses
      esp. have major synch problems in performance and it ain't musically pretty
      at all - in fact, I've seen the synch get out of hand to near musical
      "disaster"! Many times you'll see that these choruses take measures to
      control their own size as a result of experiencing and no "law" from on
      high is needed.

      The other thing I can't see happening is a control placed by the
      Internationals on chapters with successful programs that are attracting
      singers and manage to maintain a "positive growth flow" (i.e. net growth in
      the course of the year). We should all have such a problem, right?!

      The trick to managing ANY chorus size has to do with vocal balance,
      starting with the numbers of people singing what part. SAI has used the
      "cone" shape to give a visual description of how balance should work and
      it's pretty much on the money. New Tradition for a while there had to close
      off its tenor and lead sections until they managed to recruit and take in
      more baris and basses to fill out the proportions properly. Melodeers
      placed a limit on taking in tenors while I was singing with them. I was
      happy to move to bari as there was a greater need for nos. in that voice
      part at the time.

      Helen Giallombardo
      goldmedl@...
    • goldmedl@theramp.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 4:03 PM
        >I've seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert (300+) and the way they
        >handle synch problems is by having mic's on the left side of the choir
        feeding
        >small speakrs on the right side of the chorus and vice versa. It's not much
        >of a problem in the Tabernacle because of the natural acoustics in there.
        >
        >Shelley A. Herman
        >Whittier Chapter
        >saherman@...

        That would make sense, but the Mormon Tabernacle Choir doesn't do
        "showmanship" or PRS! :-)

        Helen Giallombardo
        goldmedl@...
      • ohlaurieob
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2 10:36 AM
          Having been in the color guard of a drum corps for a year, I have
          just two more things to add...

          1. Members of DCI affiliated corps "age out" at 21. That is,
          you're no longer eligible to compete once you hit that benchmark.
          There are other organizations for "senior" marchers!

          2. Even in the "open" class, there is a limit to how many people
          can be on the field...I belive it's 126, and that includes EVERYONE,
          drum line, horns, colorguard, and drum major/s.

          I know that none of the BBS organizations would ever consider an age-
          out rule, but I think the size thing is worth discussing. And NO,
          I'm not saying that I think we should go that way, but it could
          solve a lot of problems with some of the monster choruses we've got
          out there.

          And on an aside, I was at Disneyland last week, and if you're there,
          you MUST see the show "Blast" at California Adventure. It features
          a drum corps show on stage and is unlike anything you've ever seen.
          Unless of course, you saw the PBS special last year...but you and I
          both know that entertainment like Barbershop or Drum Corps has to be
          experienced LIVE to be truly appreciated!

          Laurie O'Brien
          Pacific Sound Chorus
          Blue Knights of Colorado (back in the day!)
        • Shelley Herman
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2 3:02 PM
            goldmedl@... wrote:

            > The "monster choruses", as you put it, with 150+ members, have problems of
            > their own - how to squeeze (and uncomfortably so) X number of members on
            > the limited risers, how to costume them all (think big $ and logistics),
            > how to get them to move and sing in synch. I've seen the monster choruses
            > esp. have major synch problems in performance and it ain't musically pretty
            > at all - in fact, I've seen the synch get out of hand to near musical
            > "disaster"! .......

            I've seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert (300+) and the way they
            handle synch problems is by having mic's on the left side of the choir feeding
            small speakrs on the right side of the chorus and vice versa. It's not much
            of a problem in the Tabernacle because of the natural acoustics in there.

            Shelley A. Herman
            Whittier Chapter
            saherman@...
          • David Bowen
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3 7:03 AM
              saherman@... wrote:

              >I've seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert (300+) and the way they
              >handle synch problems is by having mic's on the left side of the choir feeding
              >small speakrs on the right side of the chorus and vice versa. It's not much
              >of a problem in the Tabernacle because of the natural acoustics in there.

              As someone who twice had the opportunity to sing in the Tabernacle when the
              VM performed there in '80 and '86, I'd like to respectfully disagree with the
              last sentence. The sound in the Tabernacle goes out into the audience
              wonderfully and almost none of it comes back to the performer on stage. It's
              almost like singing outdoors. The speakers under the chairs in the choir
              loft are essential for the choir members to hear each other.

              David Bowen