Re: [bbshop] bbshop vs corps

  • David D Dunseath
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
      RE: DCI Div I/II/III

      The biggest parallel to be drawn between the drum corps activity and our
      hobby, in reference to the common complain "we can't compete with them,
      they're too __________.....(fill in the blank), is that the DCI Board of
      Directors (i.e., the "Open Class" or Division I of competing DCI corps)
      consists of the representatives of the top 25 corps in Division I as
      determined by placing in the most recent World Championship Div I finals,
      REGARDLESS OF CORPS SIZE!!!!!!
      That is to say, if a 45 member corps places 18th in the Div I finals, if
      they choose to compete in the open class, They're in!!!!! Period.
      Whether or not they choose to compete in the division next year, that
      corps' representative has the same opportunity to influence direction of
      the activity and effect change in the organization as the World Champ.

      Let's think about that one.

      Dave Dunseath
      Cambridge & Zanesville, OH Chapters, JAD

    • goldmedl@theramp.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
        >I know that none of the BBS organizations would ever consider an age-
        >out rule, but I think the size thing is worth discussing. And NO,
        >I'm not saying that I think we should go that way, but it could
        >solve a lot of problems with some of the monster choruses we've got
        >out there.

        Laurie - Having seen for myself what can happen to a chorus that grows too
        big too fast, sometimes the "monster chorus'" problems end up forcing the
        chorus itself to take other measures to keep a handle on size.

        There is indeed an observable law of diminishing returns when it comes to
        chorus size.

        The "monster choruses", as you put it, with 150+ members, have problems of
        their own - how to squeeze (and uncomfortably so) X number of members on
        the limited risers, how to costume them all (think big $ and logistics),
        how to get them to move and sing in synch. I've seen the monster choruses
        esp. have major synch problems in performance and it ain't musically pretty
        at all - in fact, I've seen the synch get out of hand to near musical
        "disaster"! Many times you'll see that these choruses take measures to
        control their own size as a result of experiencing and no "law" from on
        high is needed.

        The other thing I can't see happening is a control placed by the
        Internationals on chapters with successful programs that are attracting
        singers and manage to maintain a "positive growth flow" (i.e. net growth in
        the course of the year). We should all have such a problem, right?!

        The trick to managing ANY chorus size has to do with vocal balance,
        starting with the numbers of people singing what part. SAI has used the
        "cone" shape to give a visual description of how balance should work and
        it's pretty much on the money. New Tradition for a while there had to close
        off its tenor and lead sections until they managed to recruit and take in
        more baris and basses to fill out the proportions properly. Melodeers
        placed a limit on taking in tenors while I was singing with them. I was
        happy to move to bari as there was a greater need for nos. in that voice
        part at the time.

        Helen Giallombardo
        goldmedl@...
      • goldmedl@theramp.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
          >I've seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert (300+) and the way they
          >handle synch problems is by having mic's on the left side of the choir
          feeding
          >small speakrs on the right side of the chorus and vice versa. It's not much
          >of a problem in the Tabernacle because of the natural acoustics in there.
          >
          >Shelley A. Herman
          >Whittier Chapter
          >saherman@...

          That would make sense, but the Mormon Tabernacle Choir doesn't do
          "showmanship" or PRS! :-)

          Helen Giallombardo
          goldmedl@...
        • ohlaurieob
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
            Having been in the color guard of a drum corps for a year, I have
            just two more things to add...

            1. Members of DCI affiliated corps "age out" at 21. That is,
            you're no longer eligible to compete once you hit that benchmark.
            There are other organizations for "senior" marchers!

            2. Even in the "open" class, there is a limit to how many people
            can be on the field...I belive it's 126, and that includes EVERYONE,
            drum line, horns, colorguard, and drum major/s.

            I know that none of the BBS organizations would ever consider an age-
            out rule, but I think the size thing is worth discussing. And NO,
            I'm not saying that I think we should go that way, but it could
            solve a lot of problems with some of the monster choruses we've got
            out there.

            And on an aside, I was at Disneyland last week, and if you're there,
            you MUST see the show "Blast" at California Adventure. It features
            a drum corps show on stage and is unlike anything you've ever seen.
            Unless of course, you saw the PBS special last year...but you and I
            both know that entertainment like Barbershop or Drum Corps has to be
            experienced LIVE to be truly appreciated!

            Laurie O'Brien
            Pacific Sound Chorus
            Blue Knights of Colorado (back in the day!)
          • Shelley Herman
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
              goldmedl@... wrote:

              > The "monster choruses", as you put it, with 150+ members, have problems of
              > their own - how to squeeze (and uncomfortably so) X number of members on
              > the limited risers, how to costume them all (think big $ and logistics),
              > how to get them to move and sing in synch. I've seen the monster choruses
              > esp. have major synch problems in performance and it ain't musically pretty
              > at all - in fact, I've seen the synch get out of hand to near musical
              > "disaster"! .......

              I've seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert (300+) and the way they
              handle synch problems is by having mic's on the left side of the choir feeding
              small speakrs on the right side of the chorus and vice versa. It's not much
              of a problem in the Tabernacle because of the natural acoustics in there.

              Shelley A. Herman
              Whittier Chapter
              saherman@...
            • David Bowen
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
                saherman@... wrote:

                >I've seen the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in concert (300+) and the way they
                >handle synch problems is by having mic's on the left side of the choir feeding
                >small speakrs on the right side of the chorus and vice versa. It's not much
                >of a problem in the Tabernacle because of the natural acoustics in there.

                As someone who twice had the opportunity to sing in the Tabernacle when the
                VM performed there in '80 and '86, I'd like to respectfully disagree with the
                last sentence. The sound in the Tabernacle goes out into the audience
                wonderfully and almost none of it comes back to the performer on stage. It's
                almost like singing outdoors. The speakers under the chairs in the choir
                loft are essential for the choir members to hear each other.

                David Bowen