  • Jeremy Conover
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2002
      From someone that has had the pleasure of both competing on an international
      stage and competing at DCI championships, I can tell you that there are alot
      of similarities.

      I think the first word of advice for someone looking to get into corps is to
      not rule out Div. II/III. I have done II/III and open class. I believe
      that the idea that II/III is easier, or not as intense, or has less talented
      people is a terrible misconception. Playing in a hornline of 20 is a lot
      tougher than playing in a hornline of 60. There is no place to take a bar
      to breathe. It's easier to hide in a big corps. Even though I was in a
      drumline, I must admit however that the power of 60+ brass on a warm summer
      night still gives me goosebumps.

      Love for the activity, a commitment to the organization and the people that
      you are with is the same in both hobbies. I can tell you that it really
      gave me an advantage joining a chorus after 6 years of
      corps. I had a good mindset and attitude going in. I was ready to learn.
      Ready to be taught. I love them both. I have great memories of both and I
      am sure that I will have many more to come from barbershopping.

      Jeremy Conover

      Bass section leader--Banks of the Wabash Chorus

      Terre Haute, Indiana

      **Mirage Drum & Bugle Corps
      Champaign, Illinois

      **Concord Blue Devils