Re: [bbshop] Drum corps music

  • dbaudio@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2002
      Tom,

      We have entered into a discussion about the history, financing, and
      organization of drum and bugle corps because of the parallels between it and
      Barbershop, and becuase there are similar issue regarding membership that was
      discussed here earlier under a different subject heading.

      I don't think that the discussion will continue, but if it does, and you
      would prefer that it not be held on the list, just say so.

      As per Helen's suggestion, I visited the DCI website and found the following
      that I think is germain to our discussion about barbershop chapter membership
      growth:

      "Membership in a drum and bugle corps means many things. Sure, it means you
      get to travel and perform, learn music, and make new friends. But membership
      also means taking responsibility for yourself and others around you. It means
      self-discipline, teamwork, and sharing. It means hard work, mental and
      physical health, and learning about yourself -- about your character.
      Membership comes with a lifetime of memories.

      Of course, not all drum corps have identical membership requirements.
      Generally, corps placing in the upper ranks of DCI demand more time, energy,
      and financial commitment of members than many other corps. But there are
      corps for everyone, from weekend-only performing corps to Division II and III
      corps participating in portions of or all of the SUMMER MUSIC GAMES tour.
      Talent requirements vary accordingly.

      Membership in a highly competitive corps comes with heightened demands. From
      tryouts and auditions in the fall to weekend and weeknight winter rehearsals,
      through springtime intensive training camps to summerlong performance tours,
      membership definitely means Commitment with a capital C."

      I think this sums up todays discussion nicely. Paraphrasing, there is a place
      for everyone, but progress (achievement) requires a personal commitment to
      hard work and a dedication to excellence, resulting in numerous, far reaching
      rewards.