Re: [bbshop] If you have a Yahoo ID .. changes that may affect you

  • Tanya R. Royer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2002
      It's not a bogus URL. It's the same URL you get to if you follow the
      prompts in yahoo to edit your account. Going straight to the URL is just
      quicker than figuring out where to click when you're in Yahoo.

      Tanya Royer
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2002
        At 03:14 PM 3/30/02 -0500, Paul Agnew wrote:
        >I'd be willing to bet that this is another scam trying to get your
        >passwords. The URL looks dubious to me.
        >
        >Cheers,
        >
        >Paul

        Paul - this is NOT a scam.
        This is a legit yahoo.com URL that takes you to the place where you can
        edit your profile. I've already done it, and everything reported in the
        original post is true.

        Helen Giallombardo, back for a short time
        goldmedl@...
      • Paul Agnew
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2002
          Well, I'll be... For the first time in all my years on the internet what
          looked like a scam wasn't!

          I went through the Yahoo webpage and found the URL was correct, and all
          of my marketing preferences were changed to "Yes". Those b**tards!
          <grin>

          Thanks for the heads up on this one! Now, I guess I'll have to start
          forwarding all of those other emails I get to my entire address
          book...for good luck.

          Cheers!

          Paul

        • coalmindgh@yourinter.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2002
            I checked my account also and found the same. I was wondering why I kept
            receiving all of that junk mail even though I had done an unsubscribe to all
            of them several times.
            Thanks for the heads up!!!!!

            Valerie Palmer
            SAI Region #19
            Indi-Anna Chorus
            Sounds of Style Quartet (BASS)

            > Well, I'll be... For the first time in all my years on the internet what
            > looked like a scam wasn't!
            >
            > I went through the Yahoo webpage and found the URL was correct, and all
            > of my marketing preferences were changed to "Yes". Those b**tards!
            > <grin>
            >
            > Thanks for the heads up on this one! Now, I guess I'll have to start
            > forwarding all of those other emails I get to my entire address
            > book...for good luck.
            >
            > Cheers!
            >
            > Paul

          • tgsmiles1977
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2002
              Yes, I know this is not directly related to barbershop harmony,
              however, too many Harmonetters do not know about this:

              --- In bbshop@y..., coalmindgh@y... wrote:
              > I checked my account also and found the same. I was wondering why
              > I kept receiving all of that junk mail even though I had done an
              > unsubscribe to all of them several times.

              DON'T UNSUBSCRIBE TO SPAM MESSAGES!
              I've been given this same advice by at least half a dozen different
              anti-spam crusaders. Here is a quote from just one of them:

              This is from http://email911.com/ebooks/10tips.pdf

              2.NEVER, NEVER, NEVER reply or respond to a spam or any bulk
              unsolicited commercial email message - especially if it is to ask
              to be removed from their mailing list.

              Most spam includes a link to a "Removal Form" or a "Removal Address"
              within the message. When you reply to any spam message that you
              receive - even if it is to request to be removed - you are telling
              the spammer that your email address is active.

              Literally within minutes or hours of your reply they will put your
              email address on a CD Rom and sell it to other spammers for profit,
              increasing the amount of spam that you receive by ten-fold or more.

              Tina Gunther <tgsmiles@...>
              Barbershop Harmony Fan
              HarmonetLite Mod Squad
              Whittier, Calif., USA