Portland chorus line up

  • Jack Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
      Certainly a different kind of lineup for the Portland Contest. With the
      overall scoring being a tad lower than in previous years, it seems that some
      of the high ranking choruses of the past are taking a back seat to some of
      the smaller choruses. Look who is in first place "The Toronto Lights" chorus
      with only 42 performers, and achieving a significant lead in points over the
      second place, 3 time past champion chorus, Santa Fe Springs. Maybe this is
      not such a surprise! Hilltop and Greendale doing quite well with singers
      numbering in the 60's. Greater Central Ohio seeded in 13th place with only
      38 singers. The Houston Tidelanders qualifying for International after a
      long dry spell, is a significant change also. The Big chicken Chorus being
      seeded in 12th place is somewhat of a surprise after being in the medals
      several times.
      These "going in placements" are not always indicative as to how the contest
      will go, but it does mean a real battle for the gold. Just think, if The
      Toronto Lights do not win in Portland, they will be going up against the VM
      in 2003, in Montreal. I got a feeling this may give Jim Clancy some
      concern. Think not? I have talked with Jim on several occasions. He takes
      nothing for granted. He knows the VM can be beaten! No it is not likely,
      but who would have thought The New Tradition would have placed 2nd eight
      times in a row!

      In Harmony
      Jack Martin
      jwmartin@...
    • Ehink557@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
        In a message dated 10/31/01 9:48:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        jwmartin@... writes:

        << Certainly a different kind of lineup for the Portland Contest. With the
        overall scoring being a tad lower than in previous years, it seems that some
        of the high ranking choruses of the past are taking a back seat to some of
        the smaller choruses. Look who is in first place "The Toronto Lights" chorus

        Did you ever stop to think..........."hey Joe sing this, la la la la,"

        Or......"hey Joe and Harry and Jack and Bill and Cliff and Walt etc"

        Must get harder as time goes on. Especially for the director whose job it is
        to bring a wonderful musical experience with him every week. Hard isn`t the
        word for it. Near impossible is more likely. I have directed my chorus (120)
        (200 in finale) in a show and that`s fun. I am currently directing a chorus
        of 25 and that`s FUN!! Seems like a lot more dedication with the smaller
        group.

        Ed Hinkley