Re: [bbshop] Going "Dark"

  • travis@murray.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
      I think that what Steve was suggesting was that they still meet on the regular rehearsal night, but instead of having a rehearsal, they do other barbershop related (quartet-related?) activities. There are a lot of fun things that can be done to break up the monotony of chorus rehearsals....pick-up quartet competitions, organized learning of tags, general socializing, etc. Our chorus policy is to have a meeting every week. But there are times (especially after contests/shows or at the holidays or bad weather days) when we don't really rehearse. That way, we don't break the habit, but we still get our break.

      Travis

    • thebl00per@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
        --- In bbshop@y..., "Sammonds, Steve" <ssammonds@e...> wrote:
        > I am toying around with [...] taking some time off after
        > particularly harried periods. [...] My idea is to give the chorus a
        > three-week hiatus for the remainder of May. We would still have
        > chapter meetings devoted to quartetting and maybe take the
        > opportunity to do some other fun things like chapter visitations.

        Hey, Steve! Let me tell you what "MY" chorus (it's so fun to say
        that about the great City of Lakes SAI chorus!) does during the
        Christmas holiday.

        We have our Christmas show (Dec 8 this year) and then have a Christmas
        party on our very next regularly scheduled meeting night (Monday,
        Dec 10 this year). We sing a bit and party hearty, and then take
        the next 3 Mondays off, returning on the first non-holiday Monday in
        January (Jan 7 in 2002).

        However, here's what we expect from our singers, in exchange for the
        time off. We hand out learning tapes and music at the Christmas
        party and each singer is expected to have this music committed to
        memory by the next rehearsal. This year, we are learning 4 songs
        for our Show Package in Nashville in Nov 2002. (By the way, we're
        using Sean Milligan's Learning-Tapes.com service for these tapes.
        I'll let you know how it works out for us.)

        The caveat is this. City of Lakes is a proud chorus with a tradition
        of working hard and an expectation of excellence in performance and
        contest. Thus, each singer is motivated to remain excellent and will
        not shirk their duty during the time off. I'm pretty sure that most
        choruses would experience some "fall off" with this kind of schedule,
        but it seems to work for COL.

        Hope this example gives you some insight into the problem.

        In Harmony,
        Brent Graham
        Director, City of Lakes (SAI)
        Baritone, Excalibur (SPEB)