BQPA/Pioneers Fall Festival – Chicago – September 4 – 7, 2013

  • tsnobleiv
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2013
      This is your last-minute reminder for the quartetting festival organized by the Barbershop Quartet Preservation Association / Pioneers, scheduled for September 4th through 7th, the weekend AFTER Labor Day, in the Chicago area.

      Why should you be interested? Because we get together for three or four days of do-it-yerself quartetting, in the old style. While we do have a "luck-of-the-draw" quartet contest on the Friday evening, almost all of the remaining time is occupied by informal quartetting. Find three other parts and belt one! (Or finesse one, if you prefer ballads.) Find three other singers and teach `em a tag! Or get together with someone who'll teach YOU a tag or six! Woodshedders are welcome, but that's not all we do; we sing old songs, tags, familiar arrangements – you name it. In quartets, that form and melt away, and re-form, on and on. From morning `til the wee hours.

      Oh, yeah: there's golf on Thursday and Friday mornings. Sing a song on every tee. But ya gotta sign-up ahead of time, to be sure we've got enough tee times…

      You can find details on the BQPA/Pioneers website: www.bqpa.com. Check out the "Events" page.

      Specifically, we'll be at the Best Western Hillside, 4400 Frontage Road, Hillside, Illinois 60162. Their phone number is 708-544-9300, and their email address is www.chicagohillsidehotel.com. There's a free shuttle from O'Hare airport. (If you're reserving a room, make sure you tell 'em you're with the barbershoppers, or that you'll be attending the BQPA gathering, so you get the festival room rate – VERY attractive.) There's even free complete buffet breakfast with your room, as well as VERY reasonable pricing for adult beverages!

      Hope to see you there! Look me up, and sing a tag or a song with me!

      Barily yours,

      Tom Noble, President
      BQPA/Pioneers

      TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (subject to change due to unavoidable circumstances…)

      • Wednesday:
      o Arrivals…
      o All Day: Quartet "Free Sing" – no organized events **
      • Thursday:
      o 8:00 am: Muster for golf, tee times starting at about 8:30 – sing at every tee – reserve with Dave Brady ##
      o All Day: Quartet "Free Sing": Old Songs, Familiar Arrangements, Tags, Woodshedding, whatever -- your choice **
      o 3:30 pm – BQPA/Pioneers Board Meeting
      o 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm – BQPA Registration & Friday Quartet Contest Sign-up – voice-part bags at Registration ++
      • Friday:
      o 8:00 am: Muster for golf, tee times starting at about 8:30 – sing at every tee – reserve with Dave Brady ##
      o All Day: Quartet "Free Sing": Old Songs, Familiar Arrangements, Tags, Woodshedding, whatever -- your choice **
      o 10:00 am – 8:00 pm – BQPA Registration & Friday Quartet Contest Sign-up – voice-part bags at Registration ++
      • SIGN-UP DEADLINE: 3:30 pm
      o 3:30 pm – Draw for "Out Of The Bag" Quartet Contest
      o 4:00 pm – 8:00 – Find your other voice-parts (!) and rehearse
      o 8:00 pm – Chuck Oliva /Bob LeClair "Out Of The Bag" Quartet Contest
      • Saturday:
      o 10:00 am – General Membership Meeting
      o 11:00 am – 8:00 pm – Registration
      o All Day: Quartet "Free Sing": Old Songs, Familiar Arrangements, Tags, Woodshedding, whatever -- your choice **
      o 8:00 pm - Parade of Quartets
       Headliners: to be announced
      • Sunday:
      o As Long As You Can: Quartet "Free Sing" – no organized events **
      o Departures…

      ** Halls, lobby, guest rooms, restaurant and lounge area, porcelain rooms, woodshed room all available for quartet singing. Find your own complementary voice parts. Tag sheets, lyrics books, other aids available at registration desk.

      ## PLEASE register for golf with Dave Brady (847-259-3338, evansdad00@...) as early as humanly possible your intention to play golf, so he can arrange for the appropriate number of tee times!

      ++ When you register, put your name into one of the four bags at the registration table. This indicates the voice-part you wish to sing in the competition.

      Golfers must have their names in the bags BEFORE 3:30 pm Friday to be in the draw! If you don't, your name will not be drawn for a quartet!