List of current BHS judges?

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
      Could have sworn that there was a roster of the current judges by
      category somewhere on the BHS web site at one time... but I can't seem
      to find it now!

      Any body have this info?

      Reply privately.

      Thanks!

      Bruce Checca
    • SlickerLeadQ
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
        Charlie,
        Your memory is intact..... at least on these matters. LOL

        I too have seen lists here of songs sung in contest and frequency. Somewhere too there is a posting of how they scored in contest average.

        I also remember when the Harmonizer used to distribute free songs from time to time but don't know which songs and when it stopped.

        So..... we're both remembering.

        Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell @ email . com

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Hill" <charlibari@...> wrote:

        > Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by medalists; or maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate such? Private replies, please: CharliBari@... Not sure the list(s) include all three of our Barbershop organizations. 'Course, one of the great things about growing old is that you remember things that never happened... Also, do y'all remember when the Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a list of the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions, questions...
      • Eric Grimes
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
          try this website: http://bsmdb.com (barbershop music database)
          One of my favorite sites. You can look up any quartet or chorus that has competed from 1994 to the present as well as by song which shows who performed the song and what the score was.
          Eric A. GrimesFremont Pathfinder Music Vice-President & leadClef Notes -lead

          To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
          From: BobCaldwell@...
          Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:06:10 +0000
          Subject: [bbshop] Re: List of songs sung in contest...

          Charlie,

          Your memory is intact..... at least on these matters. LOL

          I too have seen lists here of songs sung in contest and frequency. Somewhere too there is a posting of how they scored in contest average.

          I also remember when the Harmonizer used to distribute free songs from time to time but don't know which songs and when it stopped.

          So..... we're both remembering.

          Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell @ email . com

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Hill" <charlibari@...> wrote:

          > Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by medalists; or maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate such? Private replies, please: CharliBari@... Not sure the list(s) include all three of our Barbershop organizations. 'Course, one of the great things about growing old is that you remember things that never happened... Also, do y'all remember when the Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a list of the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions, questions...

        • Montana Jack Fitzpatrick
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
            Charlie and everyone,

            The BQPA (Barbershop Quartet Preservation Association) commissioned me to compile a list of the top 25 treasured old songs that barbershoppers love to sing.

            In order to produce this list, I started with the songs the society top 10 recordings from 1961 through 1977.

            I also obtained lists of favorite old songs from Burt Szabo and Tom Neal. “

            The entire list was over 300 songs. I pared this list down to 100.

            The list of 100 was then placed on a easily accessible web site. Anyone who was interested was invited to vote for their favorite top 25. 5 additional voting spaces were provided for voters to write in their own favorites which were not on the list of 100.

            A link to the voting web site was announced to the BQPA and the HARMONET inviting anyone, who so desired, to vote.

            After a month or so the voting was closed.

            The results are attached below: (If anyone really wants to see the list of the entire 300, just get in touch with me.

            Hope this is what you were looking for.

            Blessings to all,

            Rank
            Song Name
            Votes
            Harmony Marketplace arrangements

            1
            From the first hello to the last goodbye
            85
            7154

            2
            I’m alone because I love you
            78
            7245

            3
            A little street where old friends meet
            77
            200108

            4
            Little Pal
            66
            7206 7359

            5
            Darkness On The Delta
            65
            7706

            6
            If I Had My Way
            63
            7072

            7
            All Dressed Up With A Broken Heart
            60
            110058 110059 110056 202401 202793 110057

            8
            Lida Rose
            57
            6267

            9
            For me and my gal (The bells are ringing)
            53
            7126

            10
            Five Foot Two Eyes Of Blue
            51
            7129

            11
            Danny boy
            51
            7349

            12
            I Want A Girl Just Like The Girl
            51
            7005

            13
            Love Me And The World Is Mine
            51
            8047

            14
            Don’t Cry Little Girl Don’t Cry
            48
            7174

            15
            Chordbusters
            47
            7506

            16
            Hello! My Baby
            47
            6407 8046 200796 HOH

            17
            Dear old girl
            46
            8043

            18
            Girl Of My Dreams
            46
            7151

            19
            Sittin’ on top of the world
            44
            8627

            20
            Always
            44
            7645

            21
            Somebody Stole My Gal
            43
            7030

            22
            Yes Sir That’s My Baby
            42
            7092 6402

            23
            Sweetheart of Sigma Chi
            41
            112722 112724 112725 112726 112727 112728

            24
            By The Light Of The Silvery Moon
            40
            8090

            25
            Oh how I miss you tonight
            38
            11182 204436 112058

            25
            Tell Me You’ll Forgive Me
            38
            112759 112760 112759

            25
            Shanty In Old Shanty Town
            38
            7229

          • Kurt Boutin
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
              http://barbershop.org/icq/ICQ.xls

              On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Charlie Hill <charlibari@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have
              > compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by medalists; or
              > maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate such? Private replies, please:
              > CharliBari@... Not sure the list(s) include all three of our
              > Barbershop organizations. 'Course, one of the great things about growing
              > old is that you remember things that never happened... Also, do y'all
              > remember when the Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the
              > Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a list of
              > the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions, questions... Any
              > help/advice will be greatly appreciated. All the best. Many thanks.
              > Rechords, Charlie Hill In hot and muggy N'Awlins...

              http://www.facebook.com/onairquartet

            • themcalexanders
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                I didn't find one current list, but there are a couple places you can find most of them.

                In ebiz, under Contest Entry, there's a C&J Judges Roster. The last update was in April, though, so it doesn't include the new ones that were just certified this summer.

                On the BHS web site, on the Contest & Judging System page, there's a downloadable Word document with the Fall 2013 judging assignments.

                Ann McAlexander

                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Bruce <bruce.checca@...> wrote:

                > Could have sworn that there was a roster of the current judges by
                > category somewhere on the BHS web site at one time... but I can't seem
                > to find it now!
                >
                > Any body have this info?
                >
                > Reply privately.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Bruce Checca

              • goldmedl
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                  I see others have responded with the link to the
                  Excel sheet originally set up by Benjy Trollip.
                  Ingenious piece of history contained in
                  a multi-tabbed .xls.
                  I have used that as a reference many a time
                  over the years.
                  Thanks to Benjy for the original design
                  and thoroughness in your research done
                  SEVERAL years ago!

                  Sign me,

                  Helen Giallombardo, appreciative
                  of the history (data) of our art form

                  At 10:25 PM 8/21/2013, Charlie Hill wrote:
                  >Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have
                  >compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by
                  >medalists; or maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate
                  >such? Private replies, please: CharliBari@... Not sure the
                  >list(s) include all three of our Barbershop organizations. 'Course,
                  >one of the great things about growing old is that you remember
                  >things that never happened... Also, do y'all remember when the
                  >Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the
                  >Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a
                  >list of the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions,
                  >questions... Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. All the
                  >best. Many thanks. Rechords, Charlie Hill In hot and muggy N'Awlins...

                • Steve Jackson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 23, 2013
                    When I joined in 1975, the Harmonizer had the songs -- why not check out the Harmonizer posting under Documents on eBiz? Could take some time, but could be very enjoyable browsing through the history of BHS. That's what I do when I'm bored and listening to late night radio getting the crap scared outta me (all that ghost and UFO stuff, ya know)!

                    Steve Jackson
                    Barbershopping 24/7

                  • Nancy K. Foris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 23, 2013
                      When employed as the SPEC/BHS A-V department, my late husband formulated
                      a data base to handle ALL (or most of) previous and current contests --
                      with performers' names, song lists, times, contest results, etc., etc.,
                      etc. The list was used every year when audio-taping/CD mastering to try
                      to prevent duplication from year to year on the songs chosen to
                      reproduce. The dbase is extensive and served as an archival record for
                      the Society.

                      "Someone" at headquarters should have a copy of this on some computer
                      somewhere! Russ carried the dbase on his laptop and always had it with
                      him in the audio room at contest venues -- to refer to is there was a
                      question.

                      Nancy Foris, wife of late Russ Foris