List of songs sung in contest...

  • Charlie Hill
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 21 8:25 PM
      Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by medalists; or maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate such? Private replies, please: CharliBari@... Not sure the list(s) include all three of our Barbershop organizations. 'Course, one of the great things about growing old is that you remember things that never happened... Also, do y'all remember when the Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a list of the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions, questions... Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. All the best. Many thanks. Rechords, Charlie Hill In hot and muggy N'Awlins...

    • Bruce
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22 9:27 AM
        Could have sworn that there was a roster of the current judges by
        category somewhere on the BHS web site at one time... but I can't seem
        to find it now!

        Any body have this info?

        Reply privately.

        Thanks!

        Bruce Checca
      • SlickerLeadQ
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22 11:06 AM
          Charlie,
          Your memory is intact..... at least on these matters. LOL

          I too have seen lists here of songs sung in contest and frequency. Somewhere too there is a posting of how they scored in contest average.

          I also remember when the Harmonizer used to distribute free songs from time to time but don't know which songs and when it stopped.

          So..... we're both remembering.

          Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell @ email . com

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Hill" <charlibari@...> wrote:

          > Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by medalists; or maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate such? Private replies, please: CharliBari@... Not sure the list(s) include all three of our Barbershop organizations. 'Course, one of the great things about growing old is that you remember things that never happened... Also, do y'all remember when the Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a list of the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions, questions...
        • Eric Grimes
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22 11:41 AM
            try this website: http://bsmdb.com (barbershop music database)
            One of my favorite sites. You can look up any quartet or chorus that has competed from 1994 to the present as well as by song which shows who performed the song and what the score was.
            Eric A. GrimesFremont Pathfinder Music Vice-President & leadClef Notes -lead

            To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
            From: BobCaldwell@...
            Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:06:10 +0000
            Subject: [bbshop] Re: List of songs sung in contest...

            Charlie,

            Your memory is intact..... at least on these matters. LOL

            I too have seen lists here of songs sung in contest and frequency. Somewhere too there is a posting of how they scored in contest average.

            I also remember when the Harmonizer used to distribute free songs from time to time but don't know which songs and when it stopped.

            So..... we're both remembering.

            Harmony-us-ly, BobCaldwell @ email . com

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Hill" <charlibari@...> wrote:

            > Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by medalists; or maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate such? Private replies, please: CharliBari@... Not sure the list(s) include all three of our Barbershop organizations. 'Course, one of the great things about growing old is that you remember things that never happened... Also, do y'all remember when the Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a list of the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions, questions...

          • Montana Jack Fitzpatrick
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22 11:56 AM
              Charlie and everyone,

              The BQPA (Barbershop Quartet Preservation Association) commissioned me to compile a list of the top 25 treasured old songs that barbershoppers love to sing.

              In order to produce this list, I started with the songs the society top 10 recordings from 1961 through 1977.

              I also obtained lists of favorite old songs from Burt Szabo and Tom Neal. “

              The entire list was over 300 songs. I pared this list down to 100.

              The list of 100 was then placed on a easily accessible web site. Anyone who was interested was invited to vote for their favorite top 25. 5 additional voting spaces were provided for voters to write in their own favorites which were not on the list of 100.

              A link to the voting web site was announced to the BQPA and the HARMONET inviting anyone, who so desired, to vote.

              After a month or so the voting was closed.

              The results are attached below: (If anyone really wants to see the list of the entire 300, just get in touch with me.

              Hope this is what you were looking for.

              Blessings to all,

              Rank
              Song Name
              Votes
              Harmony Marketplace arrangements

              1
              From the first hello to the last goodbye
              85
              7154

              2
              I’m alone because I love you
              78
              7245

              3
              A little street where old friends meet
              77
              200108

              4
              Little Pal
              66
              7206 7359

              5
              Darkness On The Delta
              65
              7706

              6
              If I Had My Way
              63
              7072

              7
              All Dressed Up With A Broken Heart
              60
              110058 110059 110056 202401 202793 110057

              8
              Lida Rose
              57
              6267

              9
              For me and my gal (The bells are ringing)
              53
              7126

              10
              Five Foot Two Eyes Of Blue
              51
              7129

              11
              Danny boy
              51
              7349

              12
              I Want A Girl Just Like The Girl
              51
              7005

              13
              Love Me And The World Is Mine
              51
              8047

              14
              Don’t Cry Little Girl Don’t Cry
              48
              7174

              15
              Chordbusters
              47
              7506

              16
              Hello! My Baby
              47
              6407 8046 200796 HOH

              17
              Dear old girl
              46
              8043

              18
              Girl Of My Dreams
              46
              7151

              19
              Sittin’ on top of the world
              44
              8627

              20
              Always
              44
              7645

              21
              Somebody Stole My Gal
              43
              7030

              22
              Yes Sir That’s My Baby
              42
              7092 6402

              23
              Sweetheart of Sigma Chi
              41
              112722 112724 112725 112726 112727 112728

              24
              By The Light Of The Silvery Moon
              40
              8090

              25
              Oh how I miss you tonight
              38
              11182 204436 112058

              25
              Tell Me You’ll Forgive Me
              38
              112759 112760 112759

              25
              Shanty In Old Shanty Town
              38
              7229

            • Kurt Boutin
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 22 12:24 PM
                http://barbershop.org/icq/ICQ.xls

                On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Charlie Hill <charlibari@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have
                > compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by medalists; or
                > maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate such? Private replies, please:
                > CharliBari@... Not sure the list(s) include all three of our
                > Barbershop organizations. 'Course, one of the great things about growing
                > old is that you remember things that never happened... Also, do y'all
                > remember when the Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the
                > Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a list of
                > the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions, questions... Any
                > help/advice will be greatly appreciated. All the best. Many thanks.
                > Rechords, Charlie Hill In hot and muggy N'Awlins...

                http://www.facebook.com/onairquartet

              • themcalexanders
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 22 1:17 PM
                  I didn't find one current list, but there are a couple places you can find most of them.

                  In ebiz, under Contest Entry, there's a C&J Judges Roster. The last update was in April, though, so it doesn't include the new ones that were just certified this summer.

                  On the BHS web site, on the Contest & Judging System page, there's a downloadable Word document with the Fall 2013 judging assignments.

                  Ann McAlexander

                  --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Bruce <bruce.checca@...> wrote:

                  > Could have sworn that there was a roster of the current judges by
                  > category somewhere on the BHS web site at one time... but I can't seem
                  > to find it now!
                  >
                  > Any body have this info?
                  >
                  > Reply privately.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Bruce Checca

                • goldmedl
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 22 4:37 PM
                    I see others have responded with the link to the
                    Excel sheet originally set up by Benjy Trollip.
                    Ingenious piece of history contained in
                    a multi-tabbed .xls.
                    I have used that as a reference many a time
                    over the years.
                    Thanks to Benjy for the original design
                    and thoroughness in your research done
                    SEVERAL years ago!

                    Sign me,

                    Helen Giallombardo, appreciative
                    of the history (data) of our art form

                    At 10:25 PM 8/21/2013, Charlie Hill wrote:
                    >Folks--- I seem to remember postings here about some folks who have
                    >compiled a list of songs sung in contest; or maybe sung by
                    >medalists; or maybe by Champs. Can anyone help me locate
                    >such? Private replies, please: CharliBari@... Not sure the
                    >list(s) include all three of our Barbershop organizations. 'Course,
                    >one of the great things about growing old is that you remember
                    >things that never happened... Also, do y'all remember when the
                    >Harmonizer contained a new Barbershop song from the
                    >Society? Anybody know what years that was done? And if there is a
                    >list of the songs that were included in the Harmonizer? Questions,
                    >questions... Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. All the
                    >best. Many thanks. Rechords, Charlie Hill In hot and muggy N'Awlins...

                  • Steve Jackson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 23 11:43 AM
                      When I joined in 1975, the Harmonizer had the songs -- why not check out the Harmonizer posting under Documents on eBiz? Could take some time, but could be very enjoyable browsing through the history of BHS. That's what I do when I'm bored and listening to late night radio getting the crap scared outta me (all that ghost and UFO stuff, ya know)!

                      Steve Jackson
                      Barbershopping 24/7

                    • Nancy K. Foris
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 23 5:10 PM
                        When employed as the SPEC/BHS A-V department, my late husband formulated
                        a data base to handle ALL (or most of) previous and current contests --
                        with performers' names, song lists, times, contest results, etc., etc.,
                        etc. The list was used every year when audio-taping/CD mastering to try
                        to prevent duplication from year to year on the songs chosen to
                        reproduce. The dbase is extensive and served as an archival record for
                        the Society.

                        "Someone" at headquarters should have a copy of this on some computer
                        somewhere! Russ carried the dbase on his laptop and always had it with
                        him in the audio room at contest venues -- to refer to is there was a
                        question.

                        Nancy Foris, wife of late Russ Foris