Re: July 2013 Top 10 Harmonet Posting Statistics

  • Arbe Kraft, DVM
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
      While Shelley's accounting has a the ring of truth, exaggerations and predictions weaken his theses What bugs me most is his doom 'n' gloom assessment of bbs, in general. The Society has room for almost everyone who wishes to be a part of it. That the art form has grown, changed, matured is not to be denigrated, but celebrated. Grab on, 'cause the train's leaving the station.

      Once you've sung with a chorus or quartet, barbershop or any other, that performs at an artistic level, why would you want to sing at any quality less than that? By the same token, those who seek something other than that reward, need to pursue their hobby without knocking bbs' transitions to more esteemed choruses.

      As my dad said, " If you can change things for the better, get busy! Otherwise, quit complaining'!"

    • John Witmer
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
        Without the gloom and doom, Shelley has a point. To encourage barbershop singing, we must provide a warm welcome.

        In this day and age, auditions imply that "you may not be good enough". That keeps a significant number of people away from our doors. TV shows that intimidate the aspirants encourage people to stay away from "auditions". Long before they get to our door, a person who has sung "a little bit" is discouraged from trying out because he doesn't want to be embarrassed by some self proclaimed expert who thinks he is better than they are.

        The "old days" when the norm was for people to stand around the piano and sing encouraged everyone. No one ever said you had to audition before you could join the group. We need a new vision of what a good welcome really means.

        That's my not so humble opinion.

        John Witmer, Clemson Downs Retirement Center
        While Shelley's accounting has a the ring of truth, exaggerations and predictions weaken his theses What bugs me most is his doom 'n' gloom assessment of bbs, in general. The Society has room for almost everyone who wishes to be a part of it. That the art form has grown, changed, matured is not to be denigrated, but celebrated. Grab on, 'cause the train's leaving the station.

        Once you've sung with a chorus or quartet, barbershop or any other, that performs at an artistic level, why would you want to sing at any quality less than that? By the same token, those who seek something other than that reward, need to pursue their hobby without knocking bbs' transitions to more esteemed choruses.

        As my dad said, " If you can change things for the better, get busy! Otherwise, quit complaining'!"

      • Marti Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
          Auditions are part of the culture of Sweet Adelines International and I
          don't believe it has ever hurt our recruitment.

          Marti Lovejoy
          Proud Owner of SING & SCORES
          SING members have donated over $85,000
          to the YSF since 2002
          Life Member, Texas, USA - 41 years so far
          http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
          lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<--remove spaces from link and edress

        • <barbershop.bass@...>
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
            ---- Marti Lovejoy <lovejoymar@...> wrote:
            > Auditions are part of the culture of Sweet Adelines International and I
            > don't believe it has ever hurt our recruitment.

            It's between discouraging members and potential bad singing. As long as we NEVER perform in public, quality doesn't matter. It might be harder to recruit good singers, but the "old boys club" could continue. If we are not willing to turn off Minnie and Jake who don't know us in advance, auditioning seems like a requirement.

            Personally, I'd rather have higher quality and hope to survive. If I commonly bowled 65, I wouldn't expect a place in a decent bowling league. If they could help me get better, I'd still have hope -- but no absolute guarantee that I would ever secure a place. Maybe bowling isn't the right hobby for me.
          • goldmedl
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 20, 2013
              >Tom said:
              >"Makes me kinda miss Herb Bayles and Munson Hinman."

              Or Helen G. (Queen of the H-Net ;-),
              as Roger Payne (also RIP) "crowned" me.
              Raising my hand as one of the past Harmonet posting
              "champions" at the top of the Posting Statistics leaderboard.

              But at least I'm alive and kicking and hopefully
              have years of contribution to society (largely speaking!),
              the barbershop world/art form (this forum being an example
              of communication possibilities to further growth and interest).

              At least I do get the occasional supportive comment from someone like
              Brian Lynch when I put up a picture of myself on Facebook
              that I had taken when I visited the ASCAP office in
              NYC to talk about publisher member
              issues this past week.
              I captioned the picture, "At ASCAP HQ office in NYC.
              Very excited to pay homage to Irving Berlin and do
              official Gold-Silver-Bronze Medal Music Inc publisher
              business in one fell
              swoop!<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/visitingthemothership> #
              VisitingTheMotherShip :-)

              TinyURL link to the photo (you will probably have to
              be registered on Facebook to see this.... :-)
              http://tinyurl.com/l2rurdg

              I at least try to "keep it interesting" as Kennyray Hatton
              says, while posting whereever I can, given my tech
              capabilities at that moment.

              I do truly miss Herb Bayles. He did contribute heavily
              to the barbershoppers-who-travel-in-RVs convention
              topic, he really was genuinely a nice guy,
              and I do own a set of his custom-made wind chimes
              that are hanging in our kitchen and not outside.
              I may put hang that set of wind chimes outside
              on the peach tree though now
              to try to scare away the squirrels who are trying
              to steal my newly harvestable peaches.

              Munson, on the other hand, was, well, like that
              rebellious child or the "elephant in the room", stirred
              up at the drop of a hat to go off on somebody.
              I do think that I don't want to have THAT kind of
              Harmonet-posting legacy when I'm gone.
              Munson - we really DID try to love you, but you
              made it hard for us do so.... RIP....

              I speed-read everything that's posted on this forum
              (except when I'm out of town and group e-mail
              tech-challenged...),
              but as of late I was marrying off our oldest
              daughter in a long-distance wedding and also
              going to the USA Gymnastics Nationals which has much
              the same feel (smallish org where everyone sort of knows
              each other!) and intensive long-weekend "festival" with
              competition sessions and rehearsals (for the gymnasts)
              and Congress (Harmony U style classes run 8am - 5:15pm
              with 3 hours in the middle of the day for people to
              go to the trade show area and buy their gym equipment,
              talk with their gym insurance rep (yes they are ALL there!),
              and business develop like I did with tech-ie apps companies
              to use to run gyms, communicate with parent "clients",
              competition and training apparel outfitters (they're ALL there!
              including the bigger companies and the mom&pop custom
              leotard design and construction companies looking to
              grow their businesses.....
              and so posting on this forum took a very low priority.

              At moments this past weekend, I really did chuckle about
              the fact that I was surviving the week eating a sandwich on the fly
              or an arena hot dog or food "stolen" from backstage
              hospitality rooms in an eerily-similar setting comparing heavily
              to BHS and SAI International convention weeks (for me).
              (USAG sort of 'owed' me one since I saved them by
              stepping up to the plate hugely during
              the USAG 50 yr. anniversary museum set-up on
              this past Wed. load-in day. I set up 50+ years of
              photos on easels, set up competitor apparel and
              official judging uniforms onto mannikins and hung
              them up on the various walls and displays.
              Funny how my ancient retail store display-building
              experience came back into play in a big rush a few days ago.
              So I didn't feel too guilty about filling up a plate with
              pasta laden with meat sauce at the room set aside
              for competition production, judges, coaches, etc.
              esp since I was on the video recording / editing /
              replay - to - arena Jumbotron to enhance the
              competition experience for everyone, including
              fans, coaches, competitors, judges. My station
              call name on the headset communications channel,
              btw, was "Pebbles" (as a redhead, it was all too fitting
              for me). The station next to me doing the same thing
              I was doing (recording every routine, esp of the "leaderboard"
              athletes, plus special interest 'on platform' entertainment
              done by 1996 Olympian John Macready during the rotation
              warmup time slots to fill dead time) was labelled "Bam bam".
              Somehow I felt like I was code-named by the Secret Service....
              but I digress. ;-)

              - Helen "Pebbles" Giallombardo

            • themcalexanders
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 21, 2013
                And she shall henceforth be known among all her barbershop friends as Pebbles the Perky Pitchpiper. Love it!

                Let us not forget Casey Parker and his constant calls for quartet contributions for GUBOQS. Another irascible Harmonetter who'd go off at the drop of a major 7th, but who was performing a labor of love for his hobby.

                Ann McAlexander
                (Proudly tied for first last month with my friend Kay!)
                Melodeers and Capital City (SAI)
                Associate, HI
                BHS wife, mom, and Associate