Re: [bbshop] Re: July 2013 Top 10 Harmonet Posting Statistics

  • Shelley Herman
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 18, 2013
      Bob:
      Never say that I'm not doing my part:

      As part of an internet conversation with my cousin, who through an
      organization that she started, called AWARE, in Denver, managed to
      raise about $3 million for Alzheimers research just by her own force
      of personality. She wrote me about how disappointed she was that now
      that she is close to 80, she was unable to find younger women to take
      the reins so the organization that she founded was coming to an end.

      Here is part of the answer I sent her:

      Helen

      You should have no regrets about AWARE. What you did with that
      organization was incredible. I don't think anyone did anything for
      Alzheimers that could compare with what you did. We are in a whole
      different world today. Personal relationships are via internet.
      People just are not interested in gathering together for a cause of
      any kind. The only thing I see people gathering for is this stupid
      Travon Martin nonsense. This kid gets shot when he is attacking
      someone and half the country goes bananas. Two hoodlums shoot a 13
      month old kid in the head killing him and injuring his mother, and no
      one cares. They don't even make it a death penalty case, much less a
      hate crime. Four people, including our ambassador, get killed in
      Bengazi and our government won't even answer congress' questions about
      it. Then there is the IRS scandal.

      The entire political situation in the country has me angry and
      depressed. We can no longer trust our government not to lie to us.
      We can't trust them to treat citizens fairly. The whole government
      has the smell of old time Chicago politics about it. I don't like the
      idea of leaving that heritage to my grandchildren. Even worse, I'm
      afraid that, if enough people start to realize what is going on, there
      will be another civil war. Not between the states, but between the
      conservatives and the liberals. And mark my words, we Jews will be
      made the scapegoats just as in Nazi Germany in the 1930's. My only
      saving thought is that the liberals hate guns and won't have them and
      the conservatives have been hoarding guns for years.

      I see it in my barbershop hobby. The chapter I now belong to was 140
      members in 1969 when I was president, now we're lucky to get 18
      members at a meeting. The chapter I belonged to in the 1980's was the
      largest in the SPEBSQSA in 1990, over 200 members, now they're lucky
      to get 12 members to a meeting and will probably fold up within a year.

      A big part of the problem is, in the last 15 or so years several large
      chapters have formed that cater to high quality singers. You have to
      pass an audition in order to be accepted for membership. Now all of
      the high quality singers belong to those chapters and, while it used
      to be that most chapters had good singers and marginal singers, now
      the good singers belong to the high quality chapter and the ordinary
      chapter is left with the marginal singers.

      We used to be an organization of men who like to sing, now we are an
      organization of singers and listeners.

      I am not much of a forecaster of the future, but in the 1960's, when
      all this free love, anything goes, hippie, Woodstock stuff was going
      on, I said to anyone who would listen: "In 30 or 40 years we will
      pay for all of this!" Well, I was right, we sure are paying. All of
      those people are in politics and academia these days and look at what
      a mess this country is in!

      And of course when the free love revolution came along, i had already
      signed a peace treaty:-)

      Shelley Herman
      saherman@...

      This should reinvigorate the Harmonet for a while anyway

      On Aug 14, 2013, at 2:08 PM, SlickerLeadQ wrote:

      >> Congrats to Shelley!
      > He's the ONLY one that didn't tie (up) the server!

    • Arbe Kraft, DVM
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
        While Shelley's accounting has a the ring of truth, exaggerations and predictions weaken his theses What bugs me most is his doom 'n' gloom assessment of bbs, in general. The Society has room for almost everyone who wishes to be a part of it. That the art form has grown, changed, matured is not to be denigrated, but celebrated. Grab on, 'cause the train's leaving the station.

        Once you've sung with a chorus or quartet, barbershop or any other, that performs at an artistic level, why would you want to sing at any quality less than that? By the same token, those who seek something other than that reward, need to pursue their hobby without knocking bbs' transitions to more esteemed choruses.

        As my dad said, " If you can change things for the better, get busy! Otherwise, quit complaining'!"

      • John Witmer
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
          Without the gloom and doom, Shelley has a point. To encourage barbershop singing, we must provide a warm welcome.

          In this day and age, auditions imply that "you may not be good enough". That keeps a significant number of people away from our doors. TV shows that intimidate the aspirants encourage people to stay away from "auditions". Long before they get to our door, a person who has sung "a little bit" is discouraged from trying out because he doesn't want to be embarrassed by some self proclaimed expert who thinks he is better than they are.

          The "old days" when the norm was for people to stand around the piano and sing encouraged everyone. No one ever said you had to audition before you could join the group. We need a new vision of what a good welcome really means.

          That's my not so humble opinion.

          John Witmer, Clemson Downs Retirement Center
          While Shelley's accounting has a the ring of truth, exaggerations and predictions weaken his theses What bugs me most is his doom 'n' gloom assessment of bbs, in general. The Society has room for almost everyone who wishes to be a part of it. That the art form has grown, changed, matured is not to be denigrated, but celebrated. Grab on, 'cause the train's leaving the station.

          Once you've sung with a chorus or quartet, barbershop or any other, that performs at an artistic level, why would you want to sing at any quality less than that? By the same token, those who seek something other than that reward, need to pursue their hobby without knocking bbs' transitions to more esteemed choruses.

          As my dad said, " If you can change things for the better, get busy! Otherwise, quit complaining'!"

        • Marti Lovejoy
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
            Auditions are part of the culture of Sweet Adelines International and I
            don't believe it has ever hurt our recruitment.

            Marti Lovejoy
            Proud Owner of SING & SCORES
            SING members have donated over $85,000
            to the YSF since 2002
            Life Member, Texas, USA - 41 years so far
            http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
            lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net<--remove spaces from link and edress

          • <barbershop.bass@...>
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 19, 2013
              ---- Marti Lovejoy <lovejoymar@...> wrote:
              > Auditions are part of the culture of Sweet Adelines International and I
              > don't believe it has ever hurt our recruitment.

              It's between discouraging members and potential bad singing. As long as we NEVER perform in public, quality doesn't matter. It might be harder to recruit good singers, but the "old boys club" could continue. If we are not willing to turn off Minnie and Jake who don't know us in advance, auditioning seems like a requirement.

              Personally, I'd rather have higher quality and hope to survive. If I commonly bowled 65, I wouldn't expect a place in a decent bowling league. If they could help me get better, I'd still have hope -- but no absolute guarantee that I would ever secure a place. Maybe bowling isn't the right hobby for me.
            • goldmedl
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 20, 2013
                >Tom said:
                >"Makes me kinda miss Herb Bayles and Munson Hinman."

                Or Helen G. (Queen of the H-Net ;-),
                as Roger Payne (also RIP) "crowned" me.
                Raising my hand as one of the past Harmonet posting
                "champions" at the top of the Posting Statistics leaderboard.

                But at least I'm alive and kicking and hopefully
                have years of contribution to society (largely speaking!),
                the barbershop world/art form (this forum being an example
                of communication possibilities to further growth and interest).

                At least I do get the occasional supportive comment from someone like
                Brian Lynch when I put up a picture of myself on Facebook
                that I had taken when I visited the ASCAP office in
                NYC to talk about publisher member
                issues this past week.
                I captioned the picture, "At ASCAP HQ office in NYC.
                Very excited to pay homage to Irving Berlin and do
                official Gold-Silver-Bronze Medal Music Inc publisher
                business in one fell
                swoop!<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/visitingthemothership> #
                VisitingTheMotherShip :-)

                TinyURL link to the photo (you will probably have to
                be registered on Facebook to see this.... :-)
                http://tinyurl.com/l2rurdg

                I at least try to "keep it interesting" as Kennyray Hatton
                says, while posting whereever I can, given my tech
                capabilities at that moment.

                I do truly miss Herb Bayles. He did contribute heavily
                to the barbershoppers-who-travel-in-RVs convention
                topic, he really was genuinely a nice guy,
                and I do own a set of his custom-made wind chimes
                that are hanging in our kitchen and not outside.
                I may put hang that set of wind chimes outside
                on the peach tree though now
                to try to scare away the squirrels who are trying
                to steal my newly harvestable peaches.

                Munson, on the other hand, was, well, like that
                rebellious child or the "elephant in the room", stirred
                up at the drop of a hat to go off on somebody.
                I do think that I don't want to have THAT kind of
                Harmonet-posting legacy when I'm gone.
                Munson - we really DID try to love you, but you
                made it hard for us do so.... RIP....

                I speed-read everything that's posted on this forum
                (except when I'm out of town and group e-mail
                tech-challenged...),
                but as of late I was marrying off our oldest
                daughter in a long-distance wedding and also
                going to the USA Gymnastics Nationals which has much
                the same feel (smallish org where everyone sort of knows
                each other!) and intensive long-weekend "festival" with
                competition sessions and rehearsals (for the gymnasts)
                and Congress (Harmony U style classes run 8am - 5:15pm
                with 3 hours in the middle of the day for people to
                go to the trade show area and buy their gym equipment,
                talk with their gym insurance rep (yes they are ALL there!),
                and business develop like I did with tech-ie apps companies
                to use to run gyms, communicate with parent "clients",
                competition and training apparel outfitters (they're ALL there!
                including the bigger companies and the mom&pop custom
                leotard design and construction companies looking to
                grow their businesses.....
                and so posting on this forum took a very low priority.

                At moments this past weekend, I really did chuckle about
                the fact that I was surviving the week eating a sandwich on the fly
                or an arena hot dog or food "stolen" from backstage
                hospitality rooms in an eerily-similar setting comparing heavily
                to BHS and SAI International convention weeks (for me).
                (USAG sort of 'owed' me one since I saved them by
                stepping up to the plate hugely during
                the USAG 50 yr. anniversary museum set-up on
                this past Wed. load-in day. I set up 50+ years of
                photos on easels, set up competitor apparel and
                official judging uniforms onto mannikins and hung
                them up on the various walls and displays.
                Funny how my ancient retail store display-building
                experience came back into play in a big rush a few days ago.
                So I didn't feel too guilty about filling up a plate with
                pasta laden with meat sauce at the room set aside
                for competition production, judges, coaches, etc.
                esp since I was on the video recording / editing /
                replay - to - arena Jumbotron to enhance the
                competition experience for everyone, including
                fans, coaches, competitors, judges. My station
                call name on the headset communications channel,
                btw, was "Pebbles" (as a redhead, it was all too fitting
                for me). The station next to me doing the same thing
                I was doing (recording every routine, esp of the "leaderboard"
                athletes, plus special interest 'on platform' entertainment
                done by 1996 Olympian John Macready during the rotation
                warmup time slots to fill dead time) was labelled "Bam bam".
                Somehow I felt like I was code-named by the Secret Service....
                but I digress. ;-)

                - Helen "Pebbles" Giallombardo

              • themcalexanders
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 21, 2013
                  And she shall henceforth be known among all her barbershop friends as Pebbles the Perky Pitchpiper. Love it!

                  Let us not forget Casey Parker and his constant calls for quartet contributions for GUBOQS. Another irascible Harmonetter who'd go off at the drop of a major 7th, but who was performing a labor of love for his hobby.

                  Ann McAlexander
                  (Proudly tied for first last month with my friend Kay!)
                  Melodeers and Capital City (SAI)
                  Associate, HI
                  BHS wife, mom, and Associate