hangouts

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
      Hi, has anyone tried using Google hangouts for remote harmony singing? Just wondered if you have, what your experience was like? Think conceptually it might work...

      In Harmony
      Roger
    • Charley Garrett
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
        I tried it once but the latency of my Internet connection way too poor.

        On Tuesday, July 30, 2013, Roger wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi, has anyone tried using Google hangouts for remote harmony singing?
        > Just wondered if you have, what your experience was like? Think
        > conceptually it might work...
        >
        > In Harmony
        > Roger

      • Edward Headley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
          I've had then same question for about a year now and when I have inquired with fellow quartet-ers and friends within the BHS....the answer has been that there are too many technical problems which still need solved....but I would really like to see the day when we can 'virtually' rehearse using something like GOOGLE HANGOUT sessions.....man, that would be a blessing...a couple of years ago I was singing with a quartet whose members lived over two hours' drive from me....and that got old in a hurry....it would have been great if we could have used GOOGLE HANGOUT to rehearse.
          Best Regards,
          Ed Headley

          ________________________________
          Hi, has anyone tried using Google hangouts for remote harmony singing? Just wondered if you have, what your experience was like? Think conceptually it might work...

          In Harmony
          Roger

        • Jeremy Reynolds
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
            The problem with singing WITH people on any communication device is that there are delays – delays going and delays coming back. So if you are singing WITH people on your computer, your sounds are reaching them part of a second later than they are singing it. So to them, it sounds like you are late. If they try to sing WITH YOU, their sound would be coming to you a bit late. I tried it with Skype a few years ago and it was just too confusing. You can sing with them with your microphone off and it’ll sound OK to you but then, of course, your sound never reaches them.

            Jeremy Reynolds

            Tenor, HarmoniX

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
              Well, There are always duets/trios when 2 or 3 guys can get together. I've
              been thinking about this since I'm away from my quartet for a month. Might
              try it to see how it goes.