Is it STILL PC?

  • Nancy K. Foris
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 10, 2013
      The following is something EVERYONE should see/hear. We've gone too far
      with PC, and now it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way.
      Listen to the attached, and let me know if you agree?

      (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?feature=player_embedded&v=TnQDW-NMaRs#!)

    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 10, 2013
        From the movie This Is The Army.
        Shelley Herman
        saherman@...

        On Jul 10, 2013, at 7:36 PM, Nancy K. Foris wrote:

        > The following is something EVERYONE should see/hear. We've gone too
        > far
        > with PC, and now it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way.
        > Listen to the attached, and let me know if you agree?
        >
        > (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?feature=player_embedded&v=TnQDW-NMaRs#!
        > )

      • Jack Riggsbee
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
          What does this have to do with PC? The song is still sung and heard...

          Sent from my iPhone - Please forgive any typos!
        • Nancy K. Foris
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
            Yes, the song is still sung by many, but the dreaded "G" word _is_
            evident. Our national legislators, in their infinite wisdom, have seen
            fit to disallow such references in schools, political arenas, etc.,
            etc., etc. They have also disallowed certain "holiday" displays in the
            name of "political correctness" (or, heaven forbid--showing favoritism)
            and have denigrated references to those same holidays by substituting
            "other" words, so as to avoid the, up until now, commonly accepted terms.

            To say it another way, we are being "told" what to think and say by our
            national leaders. Me? I'm a churched American who believes in the
            tenets of the Constitution, who appreciates the freedoms it allows me,
            the responsibilities it demands of me, the right to express those
            beliefs, and the right to disagree (without reprisal--unless I'm harming
            someone else) if I so choose. I happen to think there are others out
            there in our vast land who hold similar beliefs, and I believe it's time
            we let our legislators know exactly how we feel. Last time I looked, it
            was still "Government of the people, by the people and for the people."

            Does this have anything to do with barbershop? Well, maybe not yet --
            but it could!

            Nancy of the Foris(t)
            Trying to stay "in tune with the times"?

          • Mark Schuldenfrei
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
              On 7/11/2013 4:19 PM, Nancy K. Foris wrote:
              > Does this have anything to do with barbershop? Well, maybe not yet --
              > but it could!

              Perhaps we can wait until it does, rather than foisting conversations
              about God, Politics and "My Nation's Better Than Your Nation" onto
              a mailing list that is supposed to be primarily about barbershop.

              How soon we forget how gracious our Canadian friends were during
              the BHS International Convention just last week... During which
              I was pleased to see you so graciously receive that award on
              behalf of your husband.

              Mark "I just sing a little" Schuldenfrei
            • Neil Keihm
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
                Nancy,
                I agree with you!
                If any one thinks the song "God Bless America" is not PC.
                I say this.
                It is, shall always be. If you choose to think it is not, I ask you to thank all the men and women who have fought and died for your rite (and mine) to make that choice.
                Neil Keihm

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
                  > Nancy,
                  > I If you choose to think it is not, I ask you to thank all the men
                  > and women who have fought and died for your RITE (and mine) to make
                  > that choice.
                  > Neil Keihm

                  By way of explanation of homonyms:
                  When you write copy you have the right to copyright the copy you
                  write, if the copy is right. If however, your copy falls over, you
                  must right your copy. If you write religious services, you write rite,
                  and you have the right to copyright the rite that you write

                  Very conservative people write right copy and have the right to
                  copyright the right copy they write. A right wing cleric would write
                  right rite and has the right to copyright the right rite he has the
                  right to write. His editor has the job of making the right rite copy
                  right before the copyright can be right.

                  Should Larry Wright decide to write right rite, then Wright would
                  write Wright right rite, which Wright has the right to copyright.
                  Illegally duplicating that rite would copy Wright right rite and
                  violate copyright, which Wright would have the right to right.

                  Right?

                  Copyright 1991 Shelley Herman

                • Jack Riggsbee
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
                    That was the point of my question..."God" is very much in that particular song and, as far as I know, no one and no government has suggested it be removed. So, why use that particular song to raise an issue about PC-ness? It's a red herring to me, I'm afraid, as well as being a little bit outside the ethics pledge on the back of my SPEBSQSA (ok, BHS) membership card.

                    I shall retire to the sidelines now and lurk once more...

                    Jack Riggsbee
                    Bari, Reno NV

                    On Jul 11, 2013, at 1:19 PM, "Nancy K. Foris" <nkfraf@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, the song is still sung by many, but the dreaded "G" word is evident. Our national legislators, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to disallow such references in schools, political arenas, etc., etc., etc. They have also disallowed certain "holiday" displays in the name of "political correctness" (or, heaven forbid--showing favoritism) and have denigrated references to those same holidays by substituting "other" words, so as to avoid the, up until now, commonly accepted terms.
                    >
                    > To say it another way, we are being "told" what to think and say by our national leaders. Me? I'm a churched American who believes in the tenets of the Constitution, who appreciates the freedoms it allows me, the responsibilities it demands of me, the right to express those beliefs, and the right to disagree (without reprisal--unless I'm harming someone else) if I so choose. I happen to think there are others out there in our vast land who hold similar beliefs, and I believe it's time we let our legislators know exactly how we feel. Last time I looked, it was still "Government of the people, by the people and for the people."
                    >
                    > Does this have anything to do with barbershop? Well, maybe not yet -- but it could!
                    >
                    > Nancy of the Foris(t)
                    > Trying to stay "in tune with the times"?

                  • John Flynn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
                      Hey, it's just a very nice patriotic song that gets the audience up and
                      standing at the end of a performance for just that reason - that's it's
                      patriotic to stand when it's sung. As a 27 year retired veteran I also feel
                      the patriotic sentiments of the song when I sing it. The term "God bless" is
                      only incidental to the song and it doesn't evoke any particular religious
                      feelings at all - at least not to me.

                      John Flynn
                      Captain, USN Ret.

                      <mailto:nkfraf%40suddenlink.net> > wrote:

                      > Yes, the song is still sung by many, but the dreaded "G" word is evident.
                      Our national legislators, in their infinite wisdom, have seen fit to
                      disallow such references in schools, political arenas, etc., etc., etc. They
                      have also disallowed certain "holiday" displays in the name of "political
                      correctness" (or, heaven forbid--showing favoritism) and have denigrated
                      references to those same holidays by substituting "other" words, so as to
                      avoid the, up until now, commonly accepted terms.

                      > To say it another way, we are being "told" what to think and say by our
                      national leaders. Me? I'm a churched American who believes in the tenets of
                      the Constitution, who appreciates the freedoms it allows me, the
                      responsibilities it demands of me, the right to express those beliefs, and
                      the right to disagree (without reprisal--unless I'm harming someone else) if
                      I so choose. I happen to think there are others out there in our vast land
                      who hold similar beliefs, and I believe it's time we let our legislators
                      know exactly how we feel. Last time I looked, it was still "Government of
                      the people, by the people and for the people."

                      > Does this have anything to do with barbershop? Well, maybe not yet -- but
                      it could!

                      > Nancy of the Foris(t)
                      > Trying to stay "in tune with the times"?

                    • David Updegraff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
                        I have a headache, all right? Or is it alright?

                        --
                        David R. Updegraff
                        Tucson

                      • Ed Simpson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 11, 2013
                          If we wait until it happens ,,,, It's too late

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 12, 2013
                            On 7/11/2013 5:25 PM, Jack Riggsbee wrote:
                            > That was the point of my question..."God" is very much in that
                            > particular song and, as far as I know, no one and no government has
                            > suggested it be removed. So, why use that particular song to raise an
                            > issue about PC-ness? It's a red herring to me, I'm afraid, as well as
                            > being a little bit outside the ethics pledge on the back of my
                            > SPEBSQSA (ok, BHS) membership card.

                            Because the topics interest me, and despite my being slightly to the
                            left of moderate, I read a number of interesting and conservative
                            legal blogs. (I'm a software engineer: law, like singing, is a
                            hobby.)

                            Some of those legal blogs are very Libertarian or Right Wing, some
                            are very concerned about civil rights and liberties, and one is
                            specifically devoted to issues related to religion and law (Religion
                            Clause). I've read them for about 3 years now.

                            I can't recall anyone discussing banning God Bless America, or as
                            Nancy asserted that "we are being "told" what to think and say by
                            our national leaders". [1]

                            So, hortatory letters that ascribe motives to shadowy forces and
                            suggestions to sing-it-before-they-ban-it, are largely unrealistic.

                            And no one these days says "PC", either for computers or for speech.
                            It's a hallmark of being out of touch with the kids today. :-)

                            O.C. Cash was right in his sarcastic-seeming letter: "[...] about the
                            only privilege guaranteed by the Bill of Rights not in some way
                            supervised and directed, is the art of Barber Shop Quartet singing".

                            Sing what you like, Nancy. You aren't persecuted for it. Why
                            you claim to be, is beyond me.

                            Mark

                            PS I find nothing funnier or more ironic, than when my chorus practices
                            Christmas Carols and Christian or gospel music in the synagogue
                            we rent for our practices - but they don't mind, so nobody minds.

                            [1] OK: Popehat.com (which is primarily about First Amendment rights
                            especially including speech) does talk about attempts by parties
                            to squash First Amendment rights - but also it talks about how
                            they are rarely successful and rarely sustained on appeal. Usually
                            that isn't be "National Leaders", but just some Judge that makes
                            a mistake in an individual case.
                          • Robert Farnham
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 12, 2013
                              Nancy, I completely agree with you.  We need to let our government know the we are still in control.  That said, let's get back to singing the songs as they were written and forget all of this PC stuff.
                              Bob Farnham

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 12, 2013
                                On 7/12/2013 10:42 AM, Robert Farnham wrote:
                                > Nancy, I completely agree with you. We need to let our government
                                > know the we are still in control.

                                ::warning: some unmarked humor ahead::

                                It's true: folk songs ended the Vietnam War, for example. Look at what
                                Brother Can You Spare A Dime did to halt the Depression, and of course
                                who could forget how the Andrews Sisters single-handedly ended
                                WW-II and the Holocaust? And clearly, "Marching Through Georgia"
                                was a better song than "Gonna Kill a Yankee for My Pa", given how
                                the US Civil War turned out.

                                No government has ever violated the civil rights of any protester
                                anywhere while they were singing, as long as the singing was on
                                key. (Pay no attention to the Chicago Convention in 1968, anything
                                French during their Revolution, or stuff like that. The Khmer Rouge
                                LOVED singing, and that's a fact jack.)

                                Does it violate copyright when the NSA records our webcasts
                                from conventions? 'Cause they probably have me on tape singing
                                O Canada, even though I live in the US. And I think I messed
                                up a little on the bass part. Tell my wife I love her, if I
                                disappear? Thanks.

                                Mark "OK: I'm a cynic" Schuldenfrei

                                PS If I ever become a political prisoner, can I still hum whatever
                                songs I like? Maybe I should memorize Les Miserables just to
                                be sure.
                              • Joe Liles
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 12, 2013
                                  I don't understand this conversation. "In God we trust" is on all of our
                                  coins and paper money. Our president says, "God bless America" at the end
                                  of every speech. When I've seen our government officials give the "Pledge
                                  of Allegiance" . . . "under God" is always spoken.

                                  I have been to a number of political rallies and in not one of them was our
                                  Pledge of Allegiance altered. Where do these stories come from? And . . .
                                  I haven't heard any government requirement that disallows the use of the
                                  word "Christmas." Our constitution provides for freedom OF religion as
                                  well as freedom FROM religion.

                                  As a people, in general, many of us have decided that the use of the "N"
                                  word is in bad taste and offensive to our black constituents. There are a
                                  number of these "like terms" used for different races and cultures in our
                                  country. I believe we need to show love and respect in our attitudes and
                                  conversations. Fortunately and unfortunately our freedom of speech allows
                                  any vulgar-mouth person to spill venom . . . that's the American way. Some
                                  choose to make up their own facts and others seek the truth. What a pool
                                  of humanity we are.

                                  Joe

                                  On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Robert Farnham <robertfarnham@...>wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Nancy, I completely agree with you. We need to let our government know
                                  > the we are still in control. That said, let's get back to singing the
                                  > songs as they were written and forget all of this PC stuff.
                                  > Bob Farnham
                                  >
                                  > ________________________________

                                • J. Mark Roberts
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 12, 2013
                                    Well said, Joe! The words in your message may not be set to music, but
                                    they ring as true as your best arrangements!

                                    J. Mark Roberts
                                    Lead - Pride of Iowa

                                  • willhamblet
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 12, 2013
                                      Hoo boy, am I ancient. I can remember when "under God" was NOT in the "Pledge of Allegiance."

                                      Will