Re Camera Scan and Pan at Chorus Contest

  • larry4lead
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2013
           Someone commented on the accidental loss of chorus visual effects, because the camera was making close up shots when the choreography move(s) occurred. So a lot of these choreo gems never appear on the DVD.

           At a recent International ( sorry, this old brain can't recall exactly when or where) The Emcee announced that the Contest and Judging folks would be making separate videos of the performances...to be used to train judges. To my amazement and delight...some wonderful person, decided to install a third large screen, centered above the stage (in addition to the two large jumbotrons on ei ther side) ...and simulcast that training video with the regular video.... this separate video provided a stable full front view of t he performing chorus....no panning....no scanning...no close ups.

           For those of us in the "cheap seats ," it provided the  wonderful option of....watching the usual panning  & scanning video, presented on the jumbotrons on ei ther side of the stage.... Or, the full frontal view of the chorus, presented on the jumbo screen above the stage.....(for us choreography lovers, it was a thrilling way to watch/listen.)

           It occurred to me at the time that, with the picture in picture technology available these days. I t may be feasible to create DVDs with the full screen being a stable front view of the chorus....and the creative track(with close up scans) in a small window positioned in an unused portion of the screen. I know this is possible because I'v e seen some old vhs tapes of quartet contests....where the whole quartet  was in fulll frame, while the individual closeups were superimposed sequentially in small "balloons" (to the side) during the performance....It was Great!

           Mayb e there's a cost factor involved in doing this....but it's certainly wor th consider ing.

      Larry Robinson

      Lead, Heart of Florida Chorus