HOORAY!

  • fggroat
    Message 1 of 12 , May 13 1:24 PM
      Brothers in song (Barbershop Style, that is) The LLOONNGG Awaited and
      anticipated HarmoniZer, and the Happy 75th Anniversary to the World's
      Greatest Members! Has ARRIVED! wow!WOW! WOW! FABULOUS!
      Sing-cerely, Freeman Groat, member for 67 years, Society's first Lifetime
      member, Director Emeritus Music City Chorus, Nashville TN, Dixie District
      Hall Of Fames Honoree,2009, BHS HQ Volunteer!
    • Gary Davis
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13 8:56 PM
        I have a quartet brother who worries about people being offended by cruelty
        to animals in this great, old, wonderfully funny song.

        Has anybody else run into this problem? I'd like to find a politically
        acceptable way to sing the song. As Larry the Cable Guy likes to say, "Now
        that's funny."

        Solutions?

        Gary Davis

        Land of Lincoln Chorus

      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 12 , May 13 11:53 PM
          Unfortunately, political correctness has cost our barbershop songbook
          a great many songs. The songs that fit the barbershop style were
          mostly written for the vaudeville, minstrel and Broadway stage of the
          late 19th and 20th centuries. The entertainment of the day was not as
          'sensitive' as today's PC Police would want things to be.

          We are poorer, musically, for that.

          Shelley Herman
          saherman@...

          On May 13, 2013, at 8:56 PM, Gary Davis wrote:

          > I have a quartet brother who worries about people being offended by
          > cruelty
          > to animals in this great, old, wonderfully funny song.
          >

          > Has anybody else run into this problem? I'd like to find a politically
          > acceptable way to sing the song. As Larry the Cable Guy likes to
          > say, "Now
          > that's funny."
          >

          > Solutions?
          >

          > Gary Davis
          >
          > Land of Lincoln Chorus

        • Dick Johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , May 14 5:52 AM
            Bill Grogan's goat,* was feeling fine.*
            Ate three red shirts,* right off the line.*

            Bill took a stick,* gave him three whacks,*
            And tied him to,* the railroad tracks.*

            The whistle blew,* the train grew nigh;*
            Bill Grogan's goat,* was doomed to die.*

            He gave three moans,* of mortal pain,*
            Barfed up those shirts,* and flagged that train.*

            The Engineer,* got out to see,*
            What in the world,* this thing could be.*

            And when he saw,* It was a goat,*
            Pulled out his knife,* and cut it's throat.*

            Now Billy Goat* is really dead,*
            He went to heaven,* without a head.*

            And when he got there,* St. Peter said,*
            'Dear Billy Goat,* where is your head?'*

            I do not know,* I can not tell,*
            For all I know,* It just may be ...*

            Way down yonder in the paw paw patch.*

            (can migrate right into the Paw Paw Patch song)

            Dick Johnson
            Great Falls, MT

          • Tom Meier
            Message 5 of 12 , May 14 6:08 AM
              Just introduce the song by saying it may "raise some red flags" for some
              people.

              -Tom Meier

              Fairfax, etc.

            • Bob Patterson
              Message 6 of 12 , May 14 7:10 AM
                I haven't been barbershopping as long as Shelly and Dick, only 49 years compared to 50, 60 or more, but every time I've heard Bill Grogan's Goat performed it ended with "and flagged the train"
                Less violent, and a great punch line. I didn't know the rest of the song existed, and I didn't miss much.

                Bob Patterson

                Message 7 of 12 , May 14 7:15 AM
                  The first time I heard that was at my mother's knee about 80 years ago.
                  She either didn't know there was another set of verses, or it didn't even
                  exist at that time. I prefer the latter reason. < G >

                  Dick Johnson
                  Great Falls, MT

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 14 7:45 AM
                    I also learned the song at my father's knee, or some other joint.
                    It also ended with ' It flagged the train.'

                    Shelley Herman
                    saherman@...

                  • Jack W. Martin
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 14 8:14 AM
                      I might add that "A Mighty Wind" number 3 in the competitive barbershop
                      world sing this song. A slightly different arrangement, but none the less.
                      "Bill Grogans Goat".
                      Jack

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 14 12:28 PM
                        Wow, that's a lot more ... er ... explicit than I learned as a teenager. The version we sang was apparently already considerably cleaned up. It was slightly different in the first two verses (six shirts, "a" whack, "awful" pain, and he "coughed" up those shirts), and ended with the flagging of the train. The violence by the conductor and the speculation about where the head ended up was already expunged from the version I learned.

                        Dave Garstang

                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Dick Johnson <chordhuskerdick@...> wrote:

                        > Bill Grogan's goat,* was feeling fine.*
                        > Ate three red shirts,* right off the line.*
                        >
                        > Bill took a stick,* gave him three whacks,*
                        > And tied him to,* the railroad tracks.*
                        >
                        > The whistle blew,* the train grew nigh;*
                        > Bill Grogan's goat,* was doomed to die.*
                        >
                        > He gave three moans,* of mortal pain,*
                        > Barfed up those shirts,* and flagged that train.*
                        >
                        > The Engineer,* got out to see,*
                        > What in the world,* this thing could be.*
                        >
                        > And when he saw,* It was a goat,*
                        > Pulled out his knife,* and cut it's throat.*
                        >
                        > Now Billy Goat* is really dead,*
                        > He went to heaven,* without a head.*
                        >
                        > And when he got there,* St. Peter said,*
                        > 'Dear Billy Goat,* where is your head?'*
                        >
                        > I do not know,* I can not tell,*
                        > For all I know,* It just may be ...*
                        >
                        > Way down yonder in the paw paw patch.*
                        >
                        > (can migrate right into the Paw Paw Patch song)
                        >

                        > Dick Johnson
                        > Great Falls, MT

                      • Tom Meier
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 15 6:25 AM
                          Well, of course the song ends at "and flagged the train."

                          That's supposed to be the funny part, that the red shirts, when he coughed
                          them up, flagged the train and saved his life.

                          Don't people nowadays know that when the train is "flagged", it stops?

                          -Tom Meier

                          Fairfax, etc.

                        • Dick Johnson
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 15 8:09 AM
                            Tom Meier wrote:

                            "Don't people nowadays know that when the train is "flagged", it stops?"

                            Most people 'nowadays' don't know much about trains at all - especially ones
                            that you could 'flag' down. < G > As a matter of fact, there is a museum in
                            Ft Dodge, Iowa, that displays a non-powered scale model of an old steam
                            locomotive with a sign that says "Early ELECTRIC train." They once displayed
                            an odd shaped rock with what appeared to be two eye sockets, a 'nose', and
                            a small chin. They tagged it as "A Petrified Baby's Skull."
                            Some museum!

                            Dick Johnson
                            Great Falls, MT