Music Festival Inspires Music Genre's National Popularity

  • John Neal
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10 1:37 AM
      A cappella music has been seeing a surge of interest and the recent success of the hit movie Pitch Perfect has added fuel to the fire. A Pitch Perfect sequel has already been confirmed, NBC has renewed the prime time a cappella series The Sing-Off for season 4, DreamWorks just greenlit a major movie about Straight No Chaser and this week American Idol production company 19 Entertainment announced the development of a new a cappella reality TV show.

      The Harmony Sweepstakes has been on the forefront of a cappella for almost three decades by not only by presenting some of the top vocal harmony groups from across the country, but also by encouraging a cappella singing year-round by operating a successful retail web site offering a cappella arrangements, songbooks, CDs and instructional DVDs. (www.singers.com).

      The winners of our regional events are flown to San Francisco to compete in the National Finals and for the title of National Champions, a highly coveted award in the a cappella world. We are pleased that over the 28 years of the competition over 20 of the annual winners are still performing today, many as full-time professionals.

      Regional champions performing in the National Finals are:-

      Los Angeles - Honey Whiskey Trio
      Chicago - The Cat's Pajamas
      Boston - Fermata Town
      Washington DC – Lustre
      New York - The Rainbows
      Seattle - Rezonate
      San Francisco - Ro Sham Bo

      Hosted by 2012 National Champions - Six Appeal

      29th Annual Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival National Finals

      Saturday May 18, 8PM
      Marin Veteran's Auditorium
      Avenue of the Flags, San Rafael

      Harmony Sweepstakes A Cappella Festival
      http://www.harmony-sweepstakes.com
    • Marty Israel

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2013
          Hi Netters!

          I need your help!!

          I need to find some different recordings of Unchained Melody.

          Now then, regarding barbershop and a cappella, I have Acoustix's version and the Vocal Majority's version.

          Can any of you remind or inform me of other barbershop or a cappella versions of Unchained Melody?

          Thanks so much!!!

          Canto ergo sum

          Marty Israel
          Long live the 7th

        • David Poll
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2013
            If you're looking for the ballad-ized version of the song (which I much
            prefer), the Innsiders have a beautiful version. Here's the spotify link: The
            Innsiders � Unchained
            Melody<http://open.spotify.com/track/1CmjybRWifBzco20ar26nn>

            -David Poll

            On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Marty Israel <firmbari@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Netters!
            >
            > I need your help!!
            >
            > I need to find some different recordings of Unchained Melody.
            >
            > Now then, regarding barbershop and a cappella, I have Acoustix's version
            > and the Vocal Majority's version.
            >
            > Can any of you remind or inform me of other barbershop or a cappella
            > versions of Unchained Melody?
            >
            > Thanks so much!!!
            >
            > Canto ergo sum
            >
            > Marty Israel
            > Long live the 7th

          • goldmedl
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2013
              David,

              New Tradition new CD, Bandstand, features my arrangement of "Unchained Melody".

              Jay
              At 07:03 PM 7/20/2013, David Poll wrote:
              >If you're looking for the ballad-ized version of the song (which I much
              >prefer), the Innsiders have a beautiful version. Here's the spotify link: The
              >Innsiders ­ Unchained
              >Melody<http://open.spotify.com/track/1CmjybRWifBzco20ar26nn>
              >
              >-David Poll
              >

              >On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Marty Israel <firmbari@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi Netters!
              > >
              > > I need your help!!
              > >
              > > I need to find some different recordings of Unchained Melody.
              > >
              > > Now then, regarding barbershop and a cappella, I have Acoustix's version
              > > and the Vocal Majority's version.
              > >
              > > Can any of you remind or inform me of other barbershop or a cappella
              > > versions of Unchained Melody?
              > >
              > > Thanks so much!!!
              > >
              > > Canto ergo sum
              > >
              > > Marty Israel
              > > Long live the 7th

            • Jeff Porter
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 21, 2013
                Marty:

                Here's a recording of my quartet singing Unchained Melody:

                https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho7l5lckhc3c78g/Unchained%20Melody%20Late%20Entry.mp3

                No gold shiny things around our necks, but we did get Atlantic Division Novice Quartet this year! Not barbershop per se and not something for competition, but just fine for a show. We did the second verse with bell chords (bass, then bari, then tenor) which I think sounds nice.

                Enjoy!

                Jeff Porter
                Baritone
                Late Entry Quartet www.lateentryquartet.com