Re: Need a song about a Mother's Love

  • aclassapartbari
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5 5:24 AM
      I've always thought "My Mother's Eyes" was a touching, beautiful tribute, as sung by several barbershop quartets over the years. Here are lyrics from the internet but not sure if the society version is exactly the same.
      "Back in childhood days I can remember
      loving caresses, showered on me
      Mother's eyes would gaze at me so tender
      What was their meaning? Now I can see

      One bright and guiding light
      That taught me wrong from right
      I found in my mother's eyes
      Those baby tales, she told
      That road all paved in gold
      I found in my mother's eyes

      Just like a wandering sparrow
      One lonely soul
      I walked the straight and narrow
      To reach my goal

      God's gift sent from above
      A real unselfish love
      I found in my mother's eyes

      When I'm all alone, no one around me
      I find the future, dark as can be
      Sorrows, I have known, always surround me
      Then through the shadows, I always see

      One bright and guiding light
      That taught me wrong from right
      I found in my mother's eyes
      Those baby tales she told
      That road all paved in gold
      I found in my mother's eyes

      Just like a wandering sparrow
      One lonely soul
      I walked the straight and narrow
      To reach my goal

      God's gift sent from above
      A real unselfish love
      I found in my mother's eyes"

      Pretty sure BHS has the sheet music on file that they can email you and maybe you can locate an mp3 file from itunes also to play for your mother while she is still with you. My prayers for you both.
      Rick Word
      Atlanta

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "EdwardH" <ewheadley@...> wrote:

      > My mother is dying in PA and I have been down here from Maine during her last days.....she has been a big supporter of my Barbershop singing over the years and she has requested that at her Memorial service that I 'solo' a Barbershop song from the BHS Library(or elsewhere) whose lyrics describe the depths of a Mother's Love.....are there any candidate songs out there which 'fit the bill' ?
      >
      > I'd appreciate you experienced gentlemen who have been singing 'Barbershop' for quite awhile longer than I to give me some good recommendations of song Titles upon which I can quickly act, get the sheet music ordered so that I can learn it quickly.
      >
      > With Best Regards,
      > Ed Headley
      > Bass, PORCH TIME Quartet/Frank Thorne Chapter/NED
      > ewheadley@...

    • u370872
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5 7:22 AM
        Other possibilities: "I Wouldn't Trade the Silver in My Mother's Hair"
        or "Tie Me To Your Apron Strings"

        Joe H

        --- In _bbshop@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:bbshop@yahoogroups.com) , "EdwardH"
        <ewheadley@...> wrote:

        > My mother is dying in PA and I have been down here from Maine during her
        last days.....she has been a big supporter of my Barbershop singing over
        the years and she has requested that at her Memorial service that I 'solo' a
        Barbershop song from the BHS Library(or elsewhere) whose lyrics describe
        the depths of a Mother's Love.....are there any candidate songs out there
        which 'fit the bill' ?

        > I'd appreciate you experienced gentlemen who have been singing
        'Barbershop' for quite awhile longer than I to give me some good recommendations of
        song Titles upon which I can quickly act, get the sheet music ordered so
        that I can learn it quickly.

        > With Best Regards,
        > Ed Headley
        > Bass, PORCH TIME Quartet/Frank Thorne Chapter/NED
        > ewheadley@...

      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5 1:39 PM
          This was George Jessel's theme song. Perhaps you could find his
          version of You Tube and get some ideas there.
          Shelley Herman
          saherman@...

        • Shelley Herman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5 2:11 PM
            I just found links to Jessel singing My Mothers Eyes.

            http://www.myspace.com/video/stevey/george-jessel-singing-quot-my-mothers-eyes-quot/104372775

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9SCUJm-F7I

          • aclassapartbari
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7 4:14 PM
              I like your selections too, Joe. I think Rural Route 4 scored the highest interpretation score ever recorded (at that time, anyway) with "Tie Me To Your Apron Strings".
              Rick Word
              Atlanta