Need a song about a Mother's Love

  • EdwardH
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2013
      My mother is dying in PA and I have been down here from Maine during her last days.....she has been a big supporter of my Barbershop singing over the years and she has requested that at her Memorial service that I 'solo' a Barbershop song from the BHS Library(or elsewhere) whose lyrics describe the depths of a Mother's Love.....are there any candidate songs out there which 'fit the bill' ?

      I'd appreciate you experienced gentlemen who have been singing 'Barbershop' for quite awhile longer than I to give me some good recommendations of song Titles upon which I can quickly act, get the sheet music ordered so that I can learn it quickly.

      With Best Regards,
      Ed Headley
      Bass, PORCH TIME Quartet/Frank Thorne Chapter/NED
      ewheadley@...
    • aclassapartbari
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2013
        I've always thought "My Mother's Eyes" was a touching, beautiful tribute, as sung by several barbershop quartets over the years. Here are lyrics from the internet but not sure if the society version is exactly the same.
        "Back in childhood days I can remember
        loving caresses, showered on me
        Mother's eyes would gaze at me so tender
        What was their meaning? Now I can see

        One bright and guiding light
        That taught me wrong from right
        I found in my mother's eyes
        Those baby tales, she told
        That road all paved in gold
        I found in my mother's eyes

        Just like a wandering sparrow
        One lonely soul
        I walked the straight and narrow
        To reach my goal

        God's gift sent from above
        A real unselfish love
        I found in my mother's eyes

        When I'm all alone, no one around me
        I find the future, dark as can be
        Sorrows, I have known, always surround me
        Then through the shadows, I always see

        One bright and guiding light
        That taught me wrong from right
        I found in my mother's eyes
        Those baby tales she told
        That road all paved in gold
        I found in my mother's eyes

        Just like a wandering sparrow
        One lonely soul
        I walked the straight and narrow
        To reach my goal

        God's gift sent from above
        A real unselfish love
        I found in my mother's eyes"

        Pretty sure BHS has the sheet music on file that they can email you and maybe you can locate an mp3 file from itunes also to play for your mother while she is still with you. My prayers for you both.
        Rick Word
        Atlanta

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "EdwardH" <ewheadley@...> wrote:

        > My mother is dying in PA and I have been down here from Maine during her last days.....she has been a big supporter of my Barbershop singing over the years and she has requested that at her Memorial service that I 'solo' a Barbershop song from the BHS Library(or elsewhere) whose lyrics describe the depths of a Mother's Love.....are there any candidate songs out there which 'fit the bill' ?
        >
        > I'd appreciate you experienced gentlemen who have been singing 'Barbershop' for quite awhile longer than I to give me some good recommendations of song Titles upon which I can quickly act, get the sheet music ordered so that I can learn it quickly.
        >
        > With Best Regards,
        > Ed Headley
        > Bass, PORCH TIME Quartet/Frank Thorne Chapter/NED
        > ewheadley@...

      • u370872
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2013
          Other possibilities: "I Wouldn't Trade the Silver in My Mother's Hair"
          or "Tie Me To Your Apron Strings"

          Joe H

          --- In _bbshop@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:bbshop@yahoogroups.com) , "EdwardH"
          <ewheadley@...> wrote:

          > My mother is dying in PA and I have been down here from Maine during her
          last days.....she has been a big supporter of my Barbershop singing over
          the years and she has requested that at her Memorial service that I 'solo' a
          Barbershop song from the BHS Library(or elsewhere) whose lyrics describe
          the depths of a Mother's Love.....are there any candidate songs out there
          which 'fit the bill' ?

          > I'd appreciate you experienced gentlemen who have been singing
          'Barbershop' for quite awhile longer than I to give me some good recommendations of
          song Titles upon which I can quickly act, get the sheet music ordered so
          that I can learn it quickly.

          > With Best Regards,
          > Ed Headley
          > Bass, PORCH TIME Quartet/Frank Thorne Chapter/NED
          > ewheadley@...

        • Shelley Herman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2013
            This was George Jessel's theme song. Perhaps you could find his
            version of You Tube and get some ideas there.
            Shelley Herman
            saherman@...

          • Shelley Herman
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2013
              I just found links to Jessel singing My Mothers Eyes.

              http://www.myspace.com/video/stevey/george-jessel-singing-quot-my-mothers-eyes-quot/104372775

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9SCUJm-F7I

            • aclassapartbari
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2013
                I like your selections too, Joe. I think Rural Route 4 scored the highest interpretation score ever recorded (at that time, anyway) with "Tie Me To Your Apron Strings".
                Rick Word
                Atlanta