Callers needed

  • Montana Jack Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2013
      Netters,

      We are looking for some dedicated volunteers to join the 23K project Calling Team.

      Here are the details:

      If you have some free time, a computer and a telephone, you can help and really make a difference by calling society members----asking their opinions and listing their skills and talents. Everything is done on a dedicated website---with reports filed electronically and immediately. No bothersome paperwork to do.

      To join this important group, just reply to this posting at mtjack@... or call for more details 406-777-0759 (10 AM to 1 AM---Mountain Daylight Time)

      All callers will receive personal live training, while being interviewed themselves.

      Even if you can only call your fellow chapter members, we need your help.

      And, a big bonus, you actually get to talk with all those Harmonetters that you have been exchanging ideas with over the years.

      You must a BHS member with your dues paid.

      Add a little excitement to your life on the H-net.

      Blessings and thanks to all who dare to volunteer.

      Jack
      Montana Jack, keeping the faith, keeping it barbershop and keeping the "Q" in BHS
      23K Project, Task Force Chairman

    • ALEXANDER GRAY
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2013
        With all the discussion about recruiting, there is an opportunity that is being missed and the possibility that potential members are being driven away several times a year and maybe even monthly across the society.

        How many times have you seen this scenario? You’ve come to the end of a Society, District or Chapter event and you want to thank the staff for all their hard work or a great meal. Someone rounds up all the kitchen and serving staff and brings them in front of the group. There is usually a mixture of men and women and here’s where things go wrong. Here is a group of, usually young men, who may have never heard barbershop singing before and what do we usually do, we sing “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” or “Heart of My Heart”. While the female staffs members may enjoy being sung to by a bunch of men, the guys are usually uncomfortable, embarrassed and far from impressed. No matter how good the singing, how tight the harmonies or whatever their opinion up until that point, we just lost an opportunity to connect and seal the deal.

        We really need a proper Thank You song, a counterpart to “Be Our Guest” from Beauty and the Beast. I’ve mentioned this to headquarter staffers in the past, but have not seen anything, so I’m putting it out to everyone to see if the collective creative juices can start flowing. Maybe someone already has something?

        While you’re at it, anyone want to have a look at a welcome song? I know some may think there’s nothing wrong with the song we traditionally sing, but “You’re As Welcome As The Flowers In May” is getting a little tired and very dated. I seem to recall something about welcome tags but can’t seem to find them.

        Thank you for your time.

        Alex

      • nlstarks
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2013
          Hmmmm, Alex. I'll give your requests some thought and see if I can write something. Jeremey Johnson, are you up for another collaboration? I'll do the writing if you'll do the arranging.

          Norm Starks

          Sent from my iPad

          On May 3, 2013, at 4:08 PM, ALEXANDER GRAY <ar.gray@...> wrote:

          > With all the discussion about recruiting, there is an opportunity that is being missed and the possibility that potential members are being driven away several times a year and maybe even monthly across the society.
          >
          > How many times have you seen this scenario? You’ve come to the end of a Society, District or Chapter event and you want to thank the staff for all their hard work or a great meal. Someone rounds up all the kitchen and serving staff and brings them in front of the group. There is usually a mixture of men and women and here’s where things go wrong. Here is a group of, usually young men, who may have never heard barbershop singing before and what do we usually do, we sing “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” or “Heart of My Heart”. While the female staffs members may enjoy being sung to by a bunch of men, the guys are usually uncomfortable, embarrassed and far from impressed. No matter how good the singing, how tight the harmonies or whatever their opinion up until that point, we just lost an opportunity to connect and seal the deal.
          >
          > We really need a proper Thank You song, a counterpart to “Be Our Guest” from Beauty and the Beast. I’ve mentioned this to headquarter staffers in the past, but have not seen anything, so I’m putting it out to everyone to see if the collective creative juices can start flowing. Maybe someone already has something?
          >
          > While you’re at it, anyone want to have a look at a welcome song? I know some may think there’s nothing wrong with the song we traditionally sing, but “You’re As Welcome As The Flowers In May” is getting a little tired and very dated. I seem to recall something about welcome tags but can’t seem to find them.
          >
          > Thank you for your time.
          >
          > Alex

        • Bill Byrd
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2013
            I have visited chapters that have welcome songs, written for them in one or
            two cases, but I have also visited chapters that sing the first verse of
            Flowers in May, the first verse does not say welcome to a guest, but the
            second verse says just that. Youre as welcome as the flowers in may, come
            along and sing your cares away...
            Bill Byrd
            Norfolk VA.

            > On May 3, 2013, at 4:08 PM, ALEXANDER GRAY <ar.gray@...> wrote:
            >

            > > While you�re at it, anyone want to have a look at a welcome song? I know
            > some may think there�s nothing wrong with the song we traditionally sing,
            > but �You�re As Welcome As The Flowers In May� is getting a little tired and
            > very dated. I seem to recall something about welcome tags but can�t seem to
            > find them.
            > >
            > > Thank you for your time.
            > >
            > > Alex

          • Jack W. Martin
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2013
              My chapter back in Missouri a few decades ago, used to sing:

              You're as welcome as the flowers in May, in May
              To S P E B S Q S A
              Where good fellowship and song hold sway
              You're as welcome as the Flowers in May

              Worked good then and I suppose it would work good now!
              In Harmony
              Jack Martin

              On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM, Bill Byrd <wlbyrd@...> wrote:

              > I have visited chapters that have welcome songs, written for them in one or
              > two cases, but I have also visited chapters that sing the first verse of
              > Flowers in May, the first verse does not say welcome to a guest, but the
              > second verse says just that. Youre as welcome as the flowers in may, come
              > along and sing your cares away...
              > Bill Byrd
              > Norfolk VA.
              >

              > > On May 3, 2013, at 4:08 PM, ALEXANDER GRAY <ar.gray@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > While you�re at it, anyone want to have a look at a welcome song? I
              > know
              > > some may think there�s nothing wrong with the song we traditionally sing,
              > > but �You�re As Welcome As The Flowers In May� is getting a little tired
              > and
              > > very dated. I seem to recall something about welcome tags but can�t seem
              > > find them.
              > > >
              > > > Thank you for your time.
              > > >
              > > > Alex

            • Tom Schleier
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2013
                Remember that YAWATFIM is a song about death!
                First heard the whole song on the Nightlife CD.

                On May 3, 2013, at 6:39 PM, "Jack W. Martin" <jackwmartin@...> wrote:

                > My chapter back in Missouri a few decades ago, used to sing:
                >
                > You're as welcome as the flowers in May, in May
                > To S P E B S Q S A
                > Where good fellowship and song hold sway
                > You're as welcome as the Flowers in May
                >
                > Worked good then and I suppose it would work good now!
                > In Harmony
                > Jack Martin
                >
                > On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM, Bill Byrd <wlbyrd@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I have visited chapters that have welcome songs, written for them in one or
                >> two cases, but I have also visited chapters that sing the first verse of
                >> Flowers in May, the first verse does not say welcome to a guest, but the
                >> second verse says just that. Youre as welcome as the flowers in may, come
                >> along and sing your cares away...
                >> Bill Byrd
                >> Norfolk VA.

                >> know
                >>> some may think there’s nothing wrong with the song we traditionally sing,
                >>> but “You’re As Welcome As The Flowers In May” is getting a little tired
                >> and
                >>> very dated. I seem to recall something about welcome tags but can’t seem
                >>> find them.

              • Patrick Kelly
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2013
                  I read the post asking about welcome songs. I wrote one for my
                  mixed-voice a cappella chorus a couple of years ago called "Come
                  and Sing." I've also arranged it for barbershop chorus and here
                  are the lyrics and a link to a midi file of the song:

                  http://pmkmusic.net/songs/comeandsing.mid

                  Come and sing with us today.
                  Come and sing your cares away.
                  Come and sing songs old and new
                  Come and sing, it's good for you.
                  Melody and harmony
                  Help your troubles flee.
                  Overwhelming joy unending
                  Come and sing.

                  (The song repeats after a key change with 16 seconds of "oo-ing"
                  to allow you to welcome guests or invite audience members to "come
                  and sing" with you.)

                  Come and sing with us today.
                  (Sixteen seconds of "oo-ing")
                  Overwhelming joy unending
                  Come and sing!

                  If anyone is interested in singing the song, please contact me
                  directly.

                  Thanks,

                  Pat
                  pkelly @ singisrael .co .il
                • nlstarks
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2013
                    Just to let everyone know...Jeremey Johnson has agreed to do the arranging and Drew Wheaton will create learning tracks, so I'll write the charts, one for a welcome song and another to say "thank you.". But because of tight schedules it may be a couple of months before these are available. But they'll be available free when the project is done! Happy singing!

                    Norm Starks

                    Sent from my iPad

                    On May 3, 2013, at 4:08 PM, ALEXANDER GRAY <ar.gray@...> wrote:

                    > With all the discussion about recruiting, there is an opportunity that is being missed and the possibility that potential members are being driven away several times a year and maybe even monthly across the society.
                    >
                    > How many times have you seen this scenario? You’ve come to the end of a Society, District or Chapter event and you want to thank the staff for all their hard work or a great meal. Someone rounds up all the kitchen and serving staff and brings them in front of the group. There is usually a mixture of men and women and here’s where things go wrong. Here is a group of, usually young men, who may have never heard barbershop singing before and what do we usually do, we sing “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” or “Heart of My Heart”. While the female staffs members may enjoy being sung to by a bunch of men, the guys are usually uncomfortable, embarrassed and far from impressed. No matter how good the singing, how tight the harmonies or whatever their opinion up until that point, we just lost an opportunity to connect and seal the deal.
                    >
                    > We really need a proper Thank You song, a counterpart to “Be Our Guest” from Beauty and the Beast. I’ve mentioned this to headquarter staffers in the past, but have not seen anything, so I’m putting it out to everyone to see if the collective creative juices can start flowing. Maybe someone already has something?
                    >
                    > While you’re at it, anyone want to have a look at a welcome song? I know some may think there’s nothing wrong with the song we traditionally sing, but “You’re As Welcome As The Flowers In May” is getting a little tired and very dated. I seem to recall something about welcome tags but can’t seem to find them.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your time.
                    >
                    > Alex

                  • John Westervelt
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2013
                      Thanks to Alex, Jeremy and Drew for sharing your talents with bbshoppers
                      everywhere!
                      This selflessness reflects the society I recall being drawn into in the
                      early 1970's.

                      Thank you.

                      John westervelt
                      Apple Capital Chorus
                      Winchester, VA
                      On May 4, 2013 8:06 AM, <nlstarks@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Just to let everyone know...Jeremey Johnson has agreed to do the arranging
                      > and Drew Wheaton will create learning tracks, so I'll write the charts, one
                      > for a welcome song and another to say "thank you.". But because of tight
                      > schedules it may be a couple of months before these are available. But
                      > they'll be available free when the project is done! Happy singing!
                      >
                      > Norm Starks
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPad
                      >
                      > On May 3, 2013, at 4:08 PM, ALEXANDER GRAY <ar.gray@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > With all the discussion about recruiting, there is an opportunity that
                      > is being missed and the possibility that potential members are being driven
                      > away several times a year and maybe even monthly across the society.
                      > >
                      > > How many times have you seen this scenario? You�ve come to the end of a
                      > Society, District or Chapter event and you want to thank the staff for all
                      > their hard work or a great meal. Someone rounds up all the kitchen and
                      > serving staff and brings them in front of the group. There is usually a
                      > mixture of men and women and here�s where things go wrong. Here is a group
                      > of, usually young men, who may have never heard barbershop singing before
                      > and what do we usually do, we sing �Let Me Call You Sweetheart� or �Heart
                      > of My Heart�. While the female staffs members may enjoy being sung to by a
                      > bunch of men, the guys are usually uncomfortable, embarrassed and far from
                      > impressed. No matter how good the singing, how tight the harmonies or
                      > whatever their opinion up until that point, we just lost an opportunity to
                      > connect and seal the deal.
                      > >
                      > > We really need a proper Thank You song, a counterpart to �Be Our Guest�
                      > from Beauty and the Beast. I�ve mentioned this to headquarter staffers in
                      > the past, but have not seen anything, so I�m putting it out to everyone to
                      > see if the collective creative juices can start flowing. Maybe someone
                      > already has something?
                      > >
                      > > While you�re at it, anyone want to have a look at a welcome song? I know
                      > some may think there�s nothing wrong with the song we traditionally sing,
                      > but �You�re As Welcome As The Flowers In May� is getting a little tired and
                      > very dated. I seem to recall something about welcome tags but can�t seem to
                      > find them.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you for your time.
                      > >
                      > > Alex

                    • Jeremy Reynolds
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2013
                        At Heart of Florida, we sing one that our director, Scott Werner, brought with him from Alexandria. We sing them to every guest on his first visit.

                        The words, as we sing them, are:

                        Welcome, welcome everyone

                        Just sing your cares away

                        With barbershop the whole night long

                        The Heart of Florida Way.

                        The presumption, of course, would be that you would substitute your chapter/chorus name in the last line.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 4, 2013
                          That’s what we do…substitute the last line with “the Music City Way.”

                          Bob Davenport

                          Music City Chorus – Nashville, TN