Re: [bbshop] Re: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GOOD OL DAYS ???

  • Joe De Felice
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29, 2013
      Todd et al (the bari),

      Excellent response Todd... justification and education together,
      especially in your concluding remarks...

      "It becomes even more difficult to remain competitive if your chapter is not organized or lacks adequate funding. Your chapter CAN create an environment where your members can enjoy this HOBBY and utilize the best practices of a well-run BUSINESS. The sad reality is, many of our chapters currently "on the brink" will not be around in a few years if they don't."

      It was just this point that I was about to answer... "every so called
      hobby MUST also be a good business, or it doomed to fail due to lack
      of funds for the chapter and for the individuals who partake of "preservation".

      Facility rentals, plus supplies, education, coaching, promotional
      activity, etc. all cost money. It behoves the chapter, chorus or
      whatever the entity is called, to function with fiscal responsibility
      and prosper. Since we are in the throws of economic grief,
      especially for a large part of any such group membership, it is
      prudent to consider this in financial planning and devices aimed at
      fund-raising. Raise enough money annually to consider some form of
      financial assistance for members participation at Division, District
      and yes, perhaps even International conventions.

      We have a product to use to raise monies as well as to do pro bono
      performances. It takes a marketing plan, but also polishing the
      product and building customer bases for annual performances. Perhaps
      some help from International on developing the "selling" part of this
      equation.

      Make sure the base function of satisfying members reasons for being
      there, and dont forget the fact that raising funds and a well-oiled
      financial machine is just part of any entity (family, church, hobby,
      business, etc.), or none could exist.

      Our member-based organizations are part of a community and should be
      able to survive, through planning to solicit, sing for our supper,
      put on shows formal and informal, and utilize sub-units such as
      chapter quartets as well as well-intentioned outside quartets willing
      to help out for performance practicing alone.

      Yours for a Song (always my business motto and should be also for our
      organization).

      ShowGlow Joe

      At 4/29/2013 09:49 AM, Todd Wilson wrote:
      >Eric,
      >
      >I agree that this hobby of ours is getting harder for the average "Joe Barbershopper" to afford, particularly for those connected to competitive chapters that travel regularly to conventions to compete. I also agree that changes have taken place in barbershop and the world around us. However, many of these changes are perceived by others as quite positive.
      >
      >Consider the following...

      > WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GOOD OL DAYS ???
      > Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm (PDT)
      > Posted by: <gotlead1@...>
      >
      >I have been a barbershopper for almost 30 years now and are seeing the barbershop hobby changing greatly.
    • David Updegraff
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013
        Todd:

        As an inveterate Facebook user, I was looking for the "Like" button after
        reading your post. Not really, but I just wanted to echo your comments.

        One thing that tends to restrict one's involvement as one ages is energy.
        At 73 and still working nearly full time, I find that I don't have the
        boundless stores of energy I had in my 30's, when we could tag in the
        parking lot of the pub we frequented until 4 am, and then put in a full
        day's work the next day. We do have to budget our time and energy at this
        point in our lives. It affects the choices we make in our barbershop
        hobby, but can also make those choices much more significant and the
        enjoyment of those choices much sweeter!

        --
        David R. Updegraff
        Tucson

      • Jason Portell
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013
          I rejoined the Harmonet after many years away from the society. I am 34 and I've been a barbershop enthusiast and singer for over half of my life. While I cannot speak to how the society has changed since the 1950's from a personal perspective, I can tell you that the world has changed enough to have notable impacts on people (and their hobbies...).

          It seems to me that barbershop is reaching places it never could before, a point well-detailed in Todd's great response. If the OP feels the society isn't what it "used to be," well, it's probably because it isn't. I doubt there was a "sandwich generation" in the 1950s, or a lot of the economic issues around that squeezes people's time and resources like there is now. People are working 2-3 jobs to stay afloat. Despite these challenges, we have achieved remarkable things.

          Barbershop is more than recruitment campaigns and chapter program gimmicks. As long as we continue sharing the love of our music through personal friendships, we will thrive. One thing is for certain...Barbershop will continue for countless generations to come, folks. Lets focus on the positives and shed the negativism.

          Cheers,

          Jason

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:43 PM, David Updegraff <drupdegraff@...> wrote:

          > Todd:
          >
          > As an inveterate Facebook user, I was looking for the "Like" button after
          > reading your post. Not really, but I just wanted to echo your comments.
          >
          > One thing that tends to restrict one's involvement as one ages is energy.
          > At 73 and still working nearly full time, I find that I don't have the
          > boundless stores of energy I had in my 30's, when we could tag in the
          > parking lot of the pub we frequented until 4 am, and then put in a full
          > day's work the next day. We do have to budget our time and energy at this
          > point in our lives. It affects the choices we make in our barbershop
          > hobby, but can also make those choices much more significant and the
          > enjoyment of those choices much sweeter!
          >
          > --
          > David R. Updegraff
          > Tucson

        • George
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12, 2013
            Er4ic, et al: Very well expressed. You hit every major point.

            SING-cerely, GEORGE RAU, 46 year member.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 13, 2013
              Eric Wrote,

              ".When I first started in barbershopping, the .hobby . made me want to go to
              sing at rehearsal, sing-out, and contests all the time. There was plenty of
              comradery. friendships, and help whether you were a great singer or just
              average and needed some encouragement. At contests, everyone, great and not
              so great, were cheered on. There were parties and singing (plenty of
              woodshedding) to the early morning hours."

              So, what is preventing your chapter from being like that today? If that
              is your concept of an ideal barbershop "experience", make it happen. Have a
              little talk with your chapter and become exactly what your chapter wants,
              rather than what someone else wants. I'm betting your membership will
              explode, your singing will improve and your audiences will be knocking your
              doors down.

              There's a reason we're called a "preservation" society, and your ideal
              is well-worth preserving.

              Steve Shannon, Chapter Development Coach

            • steve shannon
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2013
                Gents,

                Frank Riddick concurred with my contention that, any chapter can be whatever
                the membership wants it to be. And, added, "If it isn't what an individual
                wants, there are other chapters within a reasonable driving distance in most
                cases."

                The bottom line is, "Attitude is EVERYTHING!" Since 1963, I've
                created a dozen chapters from scratch and helped to redirect dozens more. In
                every case, the naysayers "knew" it couldn't be done, but today, ALL of
                those chapters are still going!

                In August, a friend showed me an idea for a new golf accessory. Using
                the "Build the chapter you really want" attitude, it evolved from a concept
                to a real company, in less than 60 days! To see what can happen when you
                have a solid plan and stay focused, go to www.Stik-it-Golf.com.

                Success is an Attitude, Steve