Mother's Day ditty to the tune of our Jingle! Teach it to the young men in your church to sing to their Moms!

  • Joel Rea
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2013
      ARGH! I meant to send this over a week ago, but I held off due to a related Email conversation in progress, and in the interim my Email program crashed and I forgot it was in my Drafts folder, still unsent! Also, last night I accidentally tried to send this from my work Email address, which is unknown to YahooGroups so it bounced, and I only found out late this morning. I know that time is really short now, but just in case anyone can still use it:

      Last year, for my own Church, I taught a tag-like ditty to the young men in my Church to sing to their mothers on Mother’s Day (I wanted young men instead of an adult male quartet to sing it since it’s Mother’s Day, not Wife’s Day). I replaced the lyrics and transposed the key of a tuning exercise (of unknown origin — if I’m violating anyone’s copyrights here, please let me know and I’ll remove it ASAP!) from The Harmonizer to make it a short, sweet, tag-like Mother’s Day ditty that’s really easy for young men’s voices to sing. The lyrics are easy as well: “We wish you a | hap-py Moth-er’s | Day,— (in | ev-’ry | way!—)” It’s especially easy since all four parts start on the same note, and even over the next note the Leads and Tenors stay together, and the Basses and Baris stay together over the next two (first three) notes.

      Many churches have a period during their weekly meetings where the women, men, young women, young men, kids, etc. meet separately, in Sunday School classes or Wednesday Night meetings or whatever. The idea is to teach this to the young men in your church over the next few weeks in their own meetings or some other place where the women won’t find out about it. Then, surprise them with it on Mother’s Day Sunday itself (May 12 this year — less than a month away!). When we did it in my Church, they sang it to the women’s meeting, and the young women and kids’ meetings as well since some mothers were teachers in those. The mothers and other women were very impressed indeed (and so were the kids!) — they couldn’t believe that that was their own sons singing such beautiful harmony! The youth enjoyed doing it as well. Maybe those in your churches will as well, and some may even catch the Barbershop “bug” in the process!

      Everything you need is in my Box.com Barbershop Young Men folder <https://www.box.com/s/32bd0fe12863d862f2cc> here: https://www.box.com/s/32bd0fe12863d862f2cc — this includes a .PNG image of the sheet music itself (shown below if you get your Harmonet via HTML Email), plus learning tracks done both instrumentally and with synthetic Virtual Singer voices, plus instructions on how to make the most of the learning tracks (it talks about the Giallombardo Method — my learning tracks are especially designed to facilitate that). Please feel free to share that URL with anyone who needs it, including the youth and youth leaders in your church or school or other youth group.

      There’s another Mother’s Day-appropriate song in that folder as well, if you think your youth group can learn a whole song instead of a Tag in the next 2½ weeks: my own (kinda-sorta) arrangement of “When There’s Love at Home” which is nowhere near as good as the Tom Gentry arrangement that helped win Power Play their Gold Medals, nor the free Joe Johnson arrangement available on his own http://bbsmusic.com/ website for free, but mine should be easier to learn in a relatively short amount of time. It’s a very basic reworking of a hymnal arrangement for women.

      Anyway, barring any copyright objections, everything in that folder is available for anyone to use for free for the purpose of teaching Barbershop harmony to youth, especially for Mother’s Day.

      MothersDayDitty.png

      (If you’re curious about the notation elements I use that are shown in the .PNG such as note head shapes, the little numbers near them and arrows on a few of them, etc., please ask me about it in either the BBshopArrangers or BBshopTech YahooGroups, or via private Email. It’d be a threadjack in the general Harmonet, but not there. I’m a member of both groups.)

    • rcj_web
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2013
        Ooops! In my Box folder, the Tenor Virtual Singer track (“…_TenrVs”) for the “Love at Home” file was mistakenly named as the Full Mix track (“…_MixVS”), and vice-versa. I renamed them accordingly late this (Sunday, April 28) morning.

        I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you’ve already downloaded them, you can simply rename the files you have.