who has done a good promotional DVD for their chorus?

  • Gary Davis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
      I am looking for a model (five minute or so) DVD that some chorus has done
      to sell itself to potential sponsors.

      I believe that such a video would help our chorus sell itself to convention
      planners as they prepare to bring their groups to our town.

      Have others done this? Does anybody have such a DVD to send to me so that I
      can persuade our board that $1,000 in production costs could yield ten times
      more revenue in new bookings?

      Gary Davis, Land of Lincoln Chorus
      gwdavis44@...
    • Keith Eckhardt
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
        And how about a good 3 minute promotional video to entice district members to attend district and division conventions? Anyone have one to share?

        Keith Eckhardt
        FWD Convention Activities Chairman
        FWD Convention Promotion Committee

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2013
          The Minneapolis Commodores are fortunate enough to have a member, Kirk
          Douglas (NOT the actor) who is a professional videographer! He
          recently prepared a promotional video montage for our Marketing Team's
          use. He did three videos: 30 seconds/60 seconds/2.5 minutes, all
          consisting of 15-30 second or less snippets (to avoid any licensing
          issues) of our chorus and chapter quartets. We were able to use the
          videos in conjunction with our appearance on the local NBC affiliate in
          Minneapolis promoting our show on 4/6. We are looking to refine Kirk's
          efforts into a more formal promotional package in the near future.

          If any of you are interested in seeing Kirk's handywork, I would be
          happy to send you the links to review the videos. Just contact me at
          my e-mail address listed below. Also, Kirk may be interested in
          contracting with other choruses to assist in their promotional efforts.
          If you would like an introduction to Kirk, I will assist with getting
          the two of you together.

          Thanks much!

          Russ Born
          VP-Marketing/PR
          Minneapolis Commodores
          Red Lodge, MT/Roseville, MN
          406-670-2098
          Russborn@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2013
            I recently asked our convention & visitors bureau about this and about also contacting convention sites directly.  Here's their reply, "A URL would be great and more effective than a DVD.  Contacting the other properties would definitely be a good idea".

            I also asked them the ideal length for the demo, but they didn't answer that.

          • bethsnid
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2013
              Hi, Gary -

              Song of Atlanta had this done last year. It is multi-purpose, with an intent to draw new members, sponsors, and gigs!

              http://youtu.be/B1C5tteZilo

              Hope this helps!

              Thanks,
              Beth
              Baritone, Cashmere Quartet & Song of Atlanta
              Region 14 Marketing Coordinator

              --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Davis" <gwdavis44@...> wrote:

              > I am looking for a model (five minute or so) DVD that some chorus has done
              > to sell itself to potential sponsors.
              >
              > I believe that such a video would help our chorus sell itself to convention
              > planners as they prepare to bring their groups to our town.
              >
              > Have others done this? Does anybody have such a DVD to send to me so that I
              > can persuade our board that $1,000 in production costs could yield ten times
              > more revenue in new bookings?
              >
              > Gary Davis, Land of Lincoln Chorus
              > gwdavis44@...

            • Stephen Rafe
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25, 2013
                Hi Fran --

                Did they explain their rationale` for recommending a URL over a DVD? And might different convention bureaus in different cities have different preferences or recommendations?

                Might the one you contacted have thought that the chapter/chorus would be expecting them to distribute the DVDs to convention planners for them? If so, the Bureau might not want the job (and they might not handle it thoroughly).

                Would they be willing to give the chapter/chorus a mailing list of conventions scheduled to come into town? With that in hand, the chapter/chorus could write a tailor-made letter to each convention planner. Contacting the actual sites that host conventions (including hotels), nearby Chambers of Commerce, and others can also lead to paid performances.

                In addition, placing the same video online would also be worthwhile. It could be put on YouTube, at the chapter/chorus's website, on a free site created solely for this purpose and pitched to convention planners, and elsewhere.

                BTW All -- If you market your appearances, PLEASE don't call them "sing-outs." The word "performances" has much higher ring of quality to it.

                Stephen
                STEPHEN RAFE