The Last Ace passes

  • Joe De Felice
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
      From Anthony DiFlorio today....

      The last of the Original Four Aces.

      Rosario Vaccaro

      []

      Rosario "Sod" Vaccaro, age 90 Rosario "Sod" Vaccaro, age 90, of
      Chester, passed away peacefully at home, surrounded by his loving
      family on Friday, April 5, 2013. Born in Chester in 1922, he was the
      son of Charles and Agata Vaccaro. In addition to his parents, he was
      predeceased by his wife Catherine (nee Mortimer), his brothers
      Michael and Charles, his sister Carmela Cianfrani and his
      granddaughter Mary Jo Gorbey. He was a veteran of
      <http://www.legacy.com/memorial-sites/ww2/?personid=164150612&affiliateID=1557>World
      War II, during which he was both in combat and played in the Army
      Military Band. Sod was the last surviving member of the Original Four
      Aces. His musical career spanned five decades, during which time he
      performed nationally and internationally with the group. After coming
      off the road, Sod opened a pizza shop, a lifelong dream. He was later
      selected by the City of Chester to serve as Deputy Treasurer and
      Chief Deputy Tax Collector. He remained in that position as a
      consultant after his retirement. During this time, he continued to
      make appearances with the Original Four Aces. Sod loved music and
      playing his trumpet. He was an avid vegetable gardener, enjoyed
      cooking, loved the Phillies and Eagles, and most of all, enjoyed
      spending time with his grandchildren and great grandson. Survivors:
      His daughters Anne Marie (Timothy) Gorbey, Catherine Vaccaro and
      Monica Vaccaro; his grandchildren Katie (Kevin) Garder, Anne Marie
      (Kenneth) Collins and Timothy (Katelyn) Gorbey, great grandson Asher
      Collins, 2 sisters, Mae Iannucci and Josephine Lachman and many
      nieces and nephews. Funeral Mass: Saturday, 11:30 a.m., at St.
      Katharine Drexel Church, 20th Street & Providence Avenue, Chester.
      Visitation: Saturday, from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 am., at the Church. In
      lieu of flowers: Contributions may be made to the Pennsylvania
      Chapter of the
      <http://media2.legacy.com/adlink/5306/1631252/0/3380/AdId=2921443;BnId=13;itime=571951414;ku=1080494;key=MOD;nodecode=yes;link=https://www.marchofdimes.com/giving/support_general.html?DonationTrackingParam1=legacy>March
      of Dimes , 1019 West 9th Avenue, King of Prussia, PA 19406.
      Arrangements: Nolan - Fidale Funeral Homes, Ltd. Online condolences:
      <http://www.nolanfidale.com>www.nolanfidale.com.

      Published in The Daily Times on April 10, 2013

      http://www.vocalgroup.org/inductees/the_four_aces.html

    • marty.lovick
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
        thanks for this news Joe, sad that it is .. another legend is gone

        anyone unfamiliar with the voice of lead singer Al Alberts need only listen to one cut from any recording to hear the magic which was the underpinning of the 4 Aces

        songs of the 4 Aces, the Skyliners [ with the incredible lead Jimmy Beaumont]and others of the 50's are now established in our style as well .. thanks to our many arrangers who have "discovered" a treasure trove of singable and familiar tunes