Re: [bbshop] Fund raising successes

  • Bob Rullo
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 14, 2013
               Hello Keith.  We have had mixed success over the years with grocery chain $ sales.   The Mainliners are in the Philadelphia area and large chains like Giant and Acme have allowed 501 C 3 organizations to use this program as fund raisers.  What happens is that your members will buy prepaid cards that your chorus has pre- purchased directly from the chain normally in the $100 to $200 range.   They will use the cards at the registers to pay for their food.  Your organization will than receive a check back from the company for a negotiated % that varies state to state, city to city.

                 The issue is that you need to be aggressive in the sale of these cards or they actually become a drain on your cash flow as you could have an inventory of pre-purchased cards that nobody is buying .  I said we had varied success where in the hey day of the cards we would be making about $5000 to $8000 a year.  It has fallen off considerably and you have to have an aggressive and charismatic person handling the program or it spins downward in death spiral if someone isn't always hawking the cards.

                At any rate if you have this person and y our leadership team is truly behind this you can have great success.  Issue in our area is that there are so many choices and folks are not forced to one or two chains.  Hope that helps, Bob Rullo , Bryn Mawr Mainliners .  Bob

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 14, 2013
           This is not particularly unique or unusual, but our chapter sponsors a brat and corn food stand at a local Thresheree festival held over the Labor Day weekend each year.  We usually clear around $6,000--or sometimes more--over the four days. It's quite a bit of work, but we sell lots of boiled corn, hot dogs, burgers and brats.  And we manage to ring a few chords while we're working as well, which always gets an audience!'

        Norm Starks

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 14, 2013
          Thanks Norm. Food is a winner. Keith

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 14, 2013
            Keith, some chapters here in Florida (I know about two, including ours)
            sell food during the football season at the local stadium. Last year we
            took in about $12000. It's not an easy work but it's good money to the
            chapter. A portion of the proceeds was given to cover chapter members
            barbershop needs so this year my dues and some of the music was paid up
            though this money. Check your local stadiums if restaurants that serve food
            work with non-profits. If you need to know more details, please let me
            know. I was one of the participants but I can connect you with the
            organizers for more details.

            Back in my old chapter I liked the spaghetti dinners where we cooked,
            served and entertained the crowds, but I guess it's one of the old forms of
            fund-raising.

            Good topic. We are what we make. I have a question and I wonder if anyone
            tried. In Kalamazoo the largest supporter of arts was Gay and Lesbian
            Foundation. Has anyone had any success

            On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Keith Eckhardt
            <keitheckhardt@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks Norm. Food is a winner. Keith

            *
            Alexander Boltenko
            Russian Bass from St.Petersburg, FL
            russkibass@...
            singing with the Compound Interest quartet
            http://barbershopquartet.us
            Cell 269-501-SING (7464)
            "Barbershop quartet singing is four guys tasting the holy essence of four
            individual mechanisms coming into complete agreement." (Meredith Willson)

            *

          • Donna Whitehouse
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
              Hi all,

              Here in the UK, there is a website (Easy.fundraising.org.uk) that works
              with non-profit orgs... basically I can register my chorus on their site,
              so if I (or another member of the chorus who is registered on the site)
              orders something from, let's say Amazon, the chorus gets a small % - there
              is no additional cost on the purchase for going through the site, but the
              chorus gets free money! Not a lot, but the bigger the chorus, and the more
              they shop online, the more they earn.

              Is there not anything similar either nationally or in individual states in
              the US?

              Donna

              --
              "Some days there won�t be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." Emory Austin

            • Keith Eckhardt
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                Hi Donna,

                I have heard of this and will track it down on this side of the pond.

                Thanks,

                Keith

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                  There is a similar program here that is used by many - iGive. Another program that takes things a step further is Great Lakes Scrip Center - GLSC. Website is www.glscrip.com. Participants buy "gift cards" used as cash and each purchase generates a donation to the charity. I don't if it is available abroad but worth checking out.

                  Roberta
                  Roberta Smith
                  Harmony Celebration
                  SAI Region 15
                  (908) 419-8860

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Apr 15, 2013, at 10:07 AM, "Keith Eckhardt" <keitheckhardt@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Donna,
                  >
                  > I have heard of this and will track it down on this side of the pond.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Keith

                • themcalexanders
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                    Several non-profits I've been involved with over the past 10 years or so have used a scrip program as an ongoing fundraiser.

                    We buy gifts cards through Great Lakes Scrip Center at face value for things we would have spent the money on anyway (gas, groceries, restaurants, hotels, etc.), and our non-profit receives a percentage of each card's value.

                    The non-profits used to have to purchase the scrip from Great Lakes then sell it to the members, but GLSC now accepts electronic debit payments. So now I can order my scrip directly from them and they send the profit to the group after the fact.

                    I smiled when I read about needing someone to hawk the grocery gift cards to keep interest up. What we've done instead is to offset members' expenses with all or part of the scrip earnings. This in itself provides an incentive to use the program.

                    Over the years I've offset thousands of dollars in elementary school tuition and dance team fees with amounts earned through scrip programs, and the organizations have profited, too.

                    Some examples of how things worked in the scrip programs with which I've been involved:

                    - Split the scrip profit evenly. Half goes to the organization and half offsets the member's costs:

                    Example: A member pays GLSC the face value of $100 for a gift card that has a 10% scrip profit. GLSC pays the chorus the 10% profit. The chorus allocates this evenly between its own treasury ($5) and the member's dues bank (also $5).

                    - Give all the earnings to the member.

                    My daughter's dance team booster group uses this method. Everything we earn in scrip profit goes directly toward her fees. Scrip is also sold to anyone at the dance studio who wants to support the team, and these profits go into the dance team booster group's general fund.

                    - The group takes a lump-sum cut up front, then the remainder offsets the member's costs.

                    Our private elementary school used this method. Once we'd earned $600 in scrip profit each school year (which went to the school up front), anything in addition to that would offset our tuition for the next school year.

                    All of these programs are completely optional, and each group can decide how they want to allocate their scrip profit. The proceeds can't directly profit a member (meaning if you earn $100 in scrip profit but only have $75 in expenses, you can't pocket the other $25), but they can be used to offset their expenses (in our case dues, contest all-events, costumes, travel expenses).

                    Some people really love to use scrip programs (like me!) and others would rather just pay their expenses and not mess with scrip. And that's okay. It's nice to have the option available, though, for those who choose to use it.

                    There's a lot of information available on the GLSC web site if you're considering this as an ongoing fundraiser. It's really a great program.

                    Ann McAlexander
                    Melodeers and Capital City (SAI)
                    HI Associate Member
                    BHS wife, mom, and Associate

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                      Hi All,

                      So far the fund raising success stories include:
                      a.. Online donations on a chapter website
                      b.. Prepaid grocery cards
                      c.. Grocery cards that get a small donation from every purchase
                      d.. Liquor store percent of purchase
                      e.. Operate a food stand at a local event
                      f.. Work at a food stand or concession for a percent of sales
                      g.. Order at Amazon.com by using a special link provided by a non-profit
                      h.. Suggestion to read the book, "Cash In -- Funding and Promoting the Arts," by Alvin H. Reiss
                      i.. Use the iGive website when searching the internet or making online purchases
                      j.. Sell gift (Scrip) cards that return a percentage. Example website at http://www.glscrip.com/
                      k.. I found a website with 50 ideas for non-profit fundraising at http://www.signupgenius.com/nonprofit/50-creative-and-easy-fundraising-ideas.cfm Some of the ideas are probably more oriented to kids. I really like the playfulness of #17. I could do that one. A 2am adventure sounds like fun.
                      Anyone else have fund raising success with a different idea?

                      Keith

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                        One other idea we've used with much success for our dance team and elementary school is Restaurant Night, where a nearby restaurant agrees to donate a percent of each meal purchased (usually between 10 and 20 percent) to our group.

                        Usually they're willing to do this only on a slower night (we do it on Mondays a lot) and the patron has to present some kind of flyer or coupon that our group provides.

                        Pizza Hut and Five Guys are a couple big chains that have worked with us to do this, as have many local restaurants. There's little pre-work involved except creating the flyer and publicizing the event, and you can use Facebook, your web site, and/or direct email to publicize the event and to distribute a printable electronic version of the flyer.

                        The restaurants have been happy to have the crowd on an off night, and we've been happy to earn the proceeds. As with a scrip program, it's a win-win that requires very little effort or selling.

                        Ann McAlexander

                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Eckhardt" <keitheckhardt@...> wrote:

                        > Hi All,
                        >
                        > So far the fund raising success stories include:
                        > a.. Online donations on a chapter website
                        > b.. Prepaid grocery cards
                        > c.. Grocery cards that get a small donation from every purchase
                        > d.. Liquor store percent of purchase
                        > e.. Operate a food stand at a local event
                        > f.. Work at a food stand or concession for a percent of sales
                        > g.. Order at Amazon.com by using a special link provided by a non-profit
                        > h.. Suggestion to read the book, "Cash In -- Funding and Promoting the Arts," by Alvin H. Reiss
                        > i.. Use the iGive website when searching the internet or making online purchases
                        > j.. Sell gift (Scrip) cards that return a percentage. Example website at http://www.glscrip.com/
                        > k.. I found a website with 50 ideas for non-profit fundraising at http://www.signupgenius.com/nonprofit/50-creative-and-easy-fundraising-ideas.cfm Some of the ideas are probably more oriented to kids. I really like the playfulness of #17. I could do that one. A 2am adventure sounds like fun.
                        > Anyone else have fund raising success with a different idea?
                        >
                        > Keith

                      • Keith Eckhardt
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                          My chapter has been asked by a local HS Music Educator to join her students at a pizza restaurant for a fun evening of singing and munching. This idea would greatly enhance that time and could get a lot of extra folks to show up and probably pack the place out.

                          This is definitely going on the list.

                          Keith

                          One other idea we've used with much success for our dance team and elementary school is Restaurant Night, where a nearby restaurant agrees to donate a percent of each meal purchased (usually between 10 and 20 percent) to our group.

                          Usually they're willing to do this only on a slower night (we do it on Mondays a lot) and the patron has to present some kind of flyer or coupon that our group provides.

                          Pizza Hut and Five Guys are a couple big chains that have worked with us to do this, as have many local restaurants. There's little pre-work involved except creating the flyer and publicizing the event, and you can use Facebook, your web site, and/or direct email to publicize the event and to distribute a printable electronic version of the flyer.

                          The restaurants have been happy to have the crowd on an off night, and we've been happy to earn the proceeds. As with a scrip program, it's a win-win that requires very little effort or selling.

                          Ann McAlexander

                          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Eckhardt" <keitheckhardt@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All,
                          >
                          > So far the fund raising success stories include:
                          > a.. Online donations on a chapter website
                          > b.. Prepaid grocery cards
                          > c.. Grocery cards that get a small donation from every purchase
                          > d.. Liquor store percent of purchase
                          > e.. Operate a food stand at a local event
                          > f.. Work at a food stand or concession for a percent of sales
                          > g.. Order at Amazon.com by using a special link provided by a non-profit
                          > h.. Suggestion to read the book, "Cash In -- Funding and Promoting the Arts," by Alvin H. Reiss
                          > i.. Use the iGive website when searching the internet or making online purchases
                          > j.. Sell gift (Scrip) cards that return a percentage. Example website at http://www.glscrip.com/
                          > k.. I found a website with 50 ideas for non-profit fundraising at http://www.signupgenius.com/nonprofit/50-creative-and-easy-fundraising-ideas.cfm Some of the ideas are probably more oriented to kids. I really like the playfulness of #17. I could do that one. A 2am adventure sounds like fun.
                          > Anyone else have fund raising success with a different idea?
                          >
                          > Keith

                        • Alexander Boltenko
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                            We used to do it for afterglows following the rehearsal in a local Chili's. not only that time at night was a happy hour, they donated back I think 5-7%. And we had a lot of fun ringing those tags from Classic tags for men book. This requires a dedicated person who talked to management and did all the arrangements

                            Alexander Boltenko
                            ...just hit Reply or call
                            269-501-7464 (it's the iPhone!)

                            On Apr 15, 2013, at 13:09, "Keith Eckhardt" <keitheckhardt@...> wrote:

                            > My chapter has been asked by a local HS Music Educator to join her students at a pizza restaurant for a fun evening of singing and munching. This idea would greatly enhance that time and could get a lot of extra folks to show up and probably pack the place out.
                            >
                            > This is definitely going on the list.
                            >
                            > Keith

                          • David Updegraff
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                              Keith,

                              Years ago, a chapter in Maryland I sang in had a unique fund raising
                              strategy. One of our members owned a pizza wagon (this was a self-contained
                              cooking/serving wagon with pizza ovens, hookups for pumping sodas, and a
                              window for serving the pizza and drinks. We took it to the annual county
                              fair, which lasted about 11 days, as I recall, and we cleared around $1000
                              a day. Kept our treasury in the black for sure. It is hard work! One
                              day, I recall that I volunteered to chair the day. I got to the
                              fairgrounds around 8 am, got the ovens started, hooked up the drink
                              machines, and checked on all the supplies. I tossed pizzas all day long,
                              and closed up at 10 pm, when the fair closed. This was in mid-August and
                              the temps in the wagon I am sure got to 110 or more. Another two hours to
                              clean up and get things ready for the next day, and I was home by midnight!
                              What a day! I couldn't eat pizza for six months after that! But it was a
                              great, fun day with lots of singing and fellowship in addition to the funds
                              for the chapter.

                              --
                              David R. Updegraff
                              Tucson Chapter

                            • Todd Wilson
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                                I am THRILLED to see FUNDRAISING get some attention on the Harmonet. Thank
                                you Keith!

                                SOME BACKGROUND: I direct a small, auditioned community chorus of 18 guys
                                called the Nashville Singers. Our members range from 21 to 81 years of age.
                                100% of our members attend meetings regularly. 60% of our membership
                                prospects pass the audition. If they cannot, we refer them to a local voice
                                teacher or another chorus in town where they might be a better fit. We are
                                not yet affiliated with the Barbershop Harmony Society and are not at all
                                focused on competition. We perform in the community a dozen or so times per
                                year and maintain a repertoire of 30 songs, rehearsing just 40 times a
                                year. Member attendance at our rehearsals runs 85%. On average, we recruit
                                5.5 new singers per year and lose 1.5 for a net gain of four. We've
                                increased our annual budget from $2,388 in 2009 to over $20,000 in 2012.
                                Our revenues come from a mix of special events (31%), performance fees
                                (19%), member dues (18%), donations (14%), merchandising (7%), advertising
                                (5%) and grants (.2%). We reduce expenses through in-kind sponsorships.

                                Here is what I have learned from 41 years as a Society member, quartet
                                singer, chorus director, chapter board member, COTS trainer, Society board
                                member, HQ senior staff member, and many years of experience and training I
                                have spent working and volunteering in the nonprofit sector.

                                Effectively raising funds is critical to the success of ANY nonprofit
                                organization.

                                Building, running, and GROWING a successful performing ensemble takes
                                STRATEGIC thinking, organization, hard work beyond what is done at your
                                regular rehearsal, focus on improving your BRAND (how others view your
                                group), and RESOURCES (volunteers to do the work, and money).

                                I hear many barbershop chapters complain about not having any money to
                                devote to growing your ensemble, as if this condition is OUT OF YOUR
                                CONTROL. Having no money is A CHOICE not a "life sentence" handed down to
                                you by someone else.

                                The low hanging fruit for many chapters is to charge/raise member dues. I
                                have heard many groups tell me they're afraid to raise dues over fear their
                                members will leave or prospective members will not join because dues are
                                already too high. These same groups then struggle to survive with little to
                                no budget to operate effectively. This BUSINESS MODEL is not SUSTAINABLE.

                                Selling someone on what you charge for dues boils down to (confidently)
                                presenting a product and an EXPERIENCE prospects and members VALUE. If
                                you're apologetic or embarrassed when you broach this subject with
                                prospects/member, you can count on people choosing to spend their money
                                ELSEWHERE.

                                However, there are many other potential income sources for your group,
                                including concert events, singing valentines, performance fees, donations,
                                program advertising, merchandising, silent auctions, sponsorships, and
                                grants.

                                Many groups can enjoy short-term success in fundraising through “one off”
                                events, but long-term success through more traditional fundraising methods
                                (grants, annual campaigns, major gifts, donations, legacy gifts, capital
                                campaigns) is going to require that your organization follows best
                                practices to compete effectively with the other nonprofits in your
                                community seeking funding. It’s important that you become (and remain) as
                                attractive to outside funders as you possibly can.

                                What precisely am I referring to?

                                If I wanted my barbershop chorus to be attractive to outside funding, these
                                are the 18 areas where I would focus my attention

                                PLANNING
                                1. Mission and vision clearly defined
                                2. Operating from a strategic plan
                                3. Operating from a fundraising plan
                                4. Succession planning evident
                                5. Contingency planning evident

                                FINANCIALS
                                6. Complete financials, current on your 990 filings – with a complete
                                profile on Guidestar or GivingMatters (in Tennessee)
                                7. Operating with a budget that shows progressive growth over a 2-3 year
                                period
                                8. A budget that shows appropriate ratios of spending between
                                administrative, overhead, programs, and fundraising expense

                                NEEDS
                                9. Ways that people can donate to your organization are clearly defined
                                10. Needs of your organization are clearly defined

                                PROGRAMS
                                11. You are operating one or more well-managed programs that support your
                                mission, with metrics in place for monitoring/tracking success, focus on
                                outcomes, and examples of short and long- term program success documented.
                                There’s truth to the adage that money follows programs.

                                VOLUNTEERS
                                12. Proven history of being able to recruit, orient, retain, and recognize
                                volunteers to (assist staff if you have any) help you implement you programs

                                DIVERSITY
                                13. Diversity in your staff, board and the people you serve
                                14. Diversity in your funding sources

                                LEADERS LEADING BY EXAMPLE
                                15. Experienced operational leadership, with bios available for key staff
                                and board are available for review.
                                16. You have a board of directors that meets regularly, has a high
                                attendance record at meetings, and has 100% of your board members giving
                                financially to your organization, above and beyond dues. Why? If your board
                                members aren’t giving to your organization, why should a donor or grant
                                funder?

                                POLICIES
                                17. Appropriate general policies and procedures in place
                                18. Risk management policies in place - accident and injury coverage,
                                commercial general liability, directors and officers (D&O) policy,
                                nondiscrimination policy, whistle blower policy, document destruction policy

                                If you’re a guy or gal on the risers, you may not have ever thought about
                                what goes on behind the scenes of successful nonprofits.

                                If you serve on the board or in some other leadership capacity, you would
                                be wise to give these areas some attention. It’s perfectly OK to do what
                                you can keep this behind the scenes stuff invisible to your singers, so
                                they can focus on SINGING. But if you want to enjoy long-term success in
                                raising funds, these areas will need your time and attention.

                                Sure, there are many nonprofits that succeed in raising money without
                                having their house "completely“ in order. However, if you were a potential
                                grant funder or donor and had multiple requests (from similar
                                organizations) for the same funding in your possession, wouldn’t you prefer
                                to give your funds to a well-run, well-managed organization that appears
                                like they would be good stewards of those resources?

                                I’m very proud that the Nashville Singers scores a 94% on this
                                “attractiveness to funding” report card, and is operating with 17/18 of
                                these areas in excellent shape. This work has begun to yield dividends. We
                                still struggle to diversify our members and leadership.

                                There was nothing easy about this process, it took lots of work, and took
                                every bit of four years to get us to this point. In that time, I dedicated
                                3400 hours as a volunteer working on administrative duties and just 1100
                                hours on our music program. This has included 150+ face to face meetings
                                with "movers and shakers" in our community, completing 190 hours of
                                professional development training in the areas of nonprofit management,
                                executive leadership, fund development, program and volunteer management,
                                and the recruitment of an awesome advisory board of 20 men and WOMEN,
                                representing organizations across Middle Tennessee.

                                The 14 different guys who have served on my governing board over the last
                                four years are to be commended for cramming about 10 years worth of policy
                                governance into that short period of time.

                                My singers are very dedicated to our mission and maintaining high
                                performance standards. I may have had the dream and developed the plan, but
                                it has taken a team of talented people to implement the plan and make this
                                dream a reality.

                                To get a feel for the outcomes we're experiencing, I encourage you to visit
                                the 2012 History page on our website.
                                http://nashvillesingers.org/2012_History.html

                                If this insight and advice is put to good used by just one group, I feel
                                like this was worth writing.

                                I would love to hear feedback to what I have proposed.

                                TODD WILSON
                                Executive Director
                                Director of Music
                                Nashville Singers, Inc.
                                615-852-SING (7464) office
                                615-669-TODD (8633) cell
                                615-523-TODD (8633) fax
                                Website: www.nashvillesingers.org
                                Twitter: www.twitter.com/nashsingers
                                LinkedIn: www.tinyurl.com/NashvilleSingers
                                Facebook: www.facebook.com/NashvilleSingers
                                Online Store: www.cafepress.com/nashvillesinger
                                YouTube: www.youtube.com/TheNashvilleSingers
                                ReverbNation: www.reverbnation.com/nashvillesingers

                                Please support our philanthropic mission
                                to support music education in our schools and the community.

                              • markrusch2002
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                                  I would like to suggest a great way to make money for your chapter, an idea we ran many years ago in Atlanta. The chapter had discussed many ideas, including many posted here.

                                  I don’t remember where this idea came from, but it was suggested we sing and charge for our performances. What a novel idea. It was an approach we had never thought of. The idea was to contact the Atlanta Convention Bureau and get registered with them. We would supply them with tapes of the chorus doing a variety of songs. These tapes would be sent out as part of a promotional package to the many groups who would be coming to Atlanta for a convention.

                                  The responses started slowly and became a flood. It got to the point where the chorus said “too many performances.” We had to limit the chorus to 2 or 3 performances a month when we had opportunities for that many each week. The response was incredible. We had a number of quartets who took some of the jobs instead of the chorus. Then opportunities began to appear for noon meeting appearances. There were guys who were retired or who had their own businesses who could get away for those. My quartet had 6 six members, the regular 4 and two others who were available for these noon gigs. We also found that a number of the downtown hotels had their own convention facilities apart from the convention bureau and it got even busier. In a word, it was an incredible response.

                                  The pay was good for these jobs. Professional associations and major businesses have large budgets for these conventions and pay very well for entertainment.

                                  Before you say you don’t have the resources we had in Atlanta, consider what may be going on right in your city or even close by. If you have just one large business in town, they probably are having customers in on a regular basis. Talk with them. Many of you may already be driving 25-40 miles to your regular meeting. What possibilities are there in that radius of your city? Don’t limit yourself at the first thought of this idea. Even many small hotels and motels have meeting facilities. Check them out. Obviously this will not work for everyone. However, many of you will be very surprised at the opportunities.

                                  We found that singing to raise money was a lot more fun than selling pizzas.

                                  Mark Rusch

                                • Keith Eckhardt
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 15, 2013
                                    Whoa, what a concept. No performance hall to rent, no headliners to hire, no show committee meetings for months, no flyers to post and mail out, and no tickets to sell. Just show up, sing and get paid.

                                    I like it.

                                    Keith