Re: The reports of our death ...

  • David
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10 9:57 PM
      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "SlickerLeadQ" <BobCaldwell@...> wrote:
      <SNIP>
      > I have my doubts that the BHS will ever be 30,000 member
      > again and certainly never 35,000 or 38,000. Still, I will keep
      > spreading the word and hoping I can convince a friend, colleague
      > or acquaintance that he might find as much enjoyment in the
      > hobby as I have if he'd give it a try.

      I think there's wisdom here. Times do change, and we can't say what the "right" number is for the BHS in the early 21st century. It's great that people care enough to be concerned, and are exploring ways to try to reverse that decline, as am I. (I think I owe an apology to some folks who thought I was putting them down for their concern --that was not my intent)

      Maybe we're just over 20,000 members because we're not doing the right things, not reaching the right people in the right way to get them to try us, and not doing the right things to keep them coming back. And maybe we're just over 20,000 members because that's the best we can hope for in today's world. Probably it's some combination of the two.

      But my biggest concern is that we don't succumb to despair -- especially since, hey, we do have over 20,000 members, and that's pretty great!

      So let's keep trying ways, new and old, to get people to check us out, to get them to keep coming back once they do, and to get back some of the ones who have given up on us. And let's keep sharing what works for us. (And PLEEEEASE can we stop assuming that there's only one "right" way to do Barbershop, and that there's something wrong with people who enjoy different aspects of our hobby?)

      But I hope we can also keep in mind that what we have, right now, today, is pretty awesome.

      Dave Garstang
    • Dick Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11 7:21 AM
        I don't know what today's Int'l. dues amount is since I'm a 67+ year Life Member.
        I pay local Chapter dues only. But let me ask a very cogent question:
        If our total membership drops below - say 15K - at what point must that dues figure
        need to be raised? How far? How many of our current Chapters will be able to stay
        with the program? What services now offered will be curtailed or dropped? How many
        of the current staff members will be required to carry on 'Business As Usual?'
        These questions, and possible actions are probably being pondered now in Nashville.
        Or should be?

        Dick Johnson
        Great Falls, MT

      • Dick Lambert
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11 8:58 AM
          Dick, it depends on your political orientation.
          If you're a Democrat, you'll raise dues.
          If you're a Republican, you'll reduce BHS expenses.
          If you're in Congress, you'll do nothing!
        • SlickerLeadQ
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13 9:53 PM
            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Lambert" <rlambert1@...> wrote:

            > Dick, it depends on your political orientation.
            > If you're a Democrat, you'll raise dues.
            > If you're a Republican, you'll reduce BHS expenses.
            > If you're in Congress, you'll do nothing!

            I know Dick. He's only one of those things.
            The latter, alphabetically, so he'd be reducing the expenses.

            Slick
          • David
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 16 12:49 AM
              A cogent question indeed, and well worth asking. As a merely 41-year member, I joined a Society already well above that number. Do you recall how many members we had when you joined, Dick? Since we've been there before, do you or any of our long-time members remember what the dues were (preferably in inflation-adjusted dollars) when we passed through that number on the way up, and what sorts of services were provided by International and the Districts, compared to now? Obviously, we were able to collect enough revenue and provide enough services back then, since we were, in fact, growing.

              Dave