Re: [bbshop] The Stone On the Road

  • Singatag@...
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2013
      Three cheers Tom. I hear a lot of our members complain about various
      aspects of our hobby and our leaders, however, I do not see very many of them
      stepping forward and seeing what they can do about changing things for the
      better in their own chapter let alone the Society as a whole. There is
      currently a project 23K program being conducted by a large group of volunteer
      members in an attempt to find out what our current members want from the
      Society, what they would like to change and how they would be willing to help.
      This involves calling every member of the Society and asking a few
      questions and reporting the information to those in charge, who incidentally are
      just plain barbershoppers. It is very disappointing when telephone callers
      request a member they are unable to reach by phone to please return the
      call and are ignored. Every one of us is responsible for seeing that this
      wonderful hobby continues well into the time we, the current members, are
      gone on to a better life. Let's quit being talkers and become doers.

      Frank Riddick
      Proud 60 year member of this great Society
      JAD Division Manager
      BOTY JAD
      JAD Hall of Fame
      Shenango Valley, Pa member

      In a message dated 3/30/2013 9:08:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      tombaritones734@... writes:

      This came across my (virtual) desk this morning and seems apropos our
      continuing discussion:

      Disclosure: Alas, I am not nearly the ideal portrayed below.

      One day a farmer, walking down the street in a small town came across a
      large stone in the middle of his path. The farmer complained: "Who could be
      so careless as to leave such a big stone on the road? Why does someone not
      remove it?" He went away complaining.
      The next day, the same thing happened with a milkman. He too went away
      grumbling but left the stone as it was.
      Then one day, a student came across the stone. Worried that someone may
      over it and hurt himself, he decided to push it aside. He pushed long and
      hard all by himself and eventually managed to remove the stone from the
      path. He came back and noticed a piece of paper where the stone had been.
      He picked the paper and opened it. Inside was written, "You are the true
      wealth of this nation."
      There are two kinds of people
      Talkers and doers.
      Talkers merely talk, while doers do.

      The moral of this story is that if you don't want to get involved you have
      no right to criticize. Become the change you wish to see in this world.
      Service to society is the rent we pay for the space we occupy on this earth

      I particularly like the last line.

      Tom Wiener

      Seven Thirty-four, A Barbershop Quartet

      Music Director

      The Arlingtones Barbershop Chorus of Virginia

      www.thearlingtones.com <_http://www.thearlingtones.com/_
      (http://www.thearlingtones.com/) >

      Find us on Facebook (_http://www.facebook.com/TheArlingtones_
      (http://www.facebook.com/TheArlingtones) )