Re: [bbshop] Re: Society and declining membership. Hello?

  • Stephen Rafe
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 29, 2013
      Paul --

      Folks on the "inside" have acknowledged that youth-focused efforts won't bear fruit until those exposed to this hobby get through their academic years, their early employment years, and their early family years. By then, 20 or more years will have passed, they say, and there's no assurance they will seek us out. And I doubt seriously whether BHS has a tracking and cultivation program in place that will extend over that period. Then, of course, we have the problem of what happens to those youth who do join a chapter right away.

      I don't think this discussion was intended to talk about ringing chords so much as what is killing the Society without which there will be no chords to ring (at least not in the context of BHS).

      The key point has actually be quite a simple one: Those who have been leading us -- collectively -- have allowed (or caused) us to get to this point. We need to clean out the leaders who are contributing to the problem and recruit and retain those who can solve the problem. Unless we fix what we have, we won't have anything left to fix. I've yet to see/hear anyone disagree with that logic.

      Stephen
      STEPHEN RAFE
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 31, 2013
        Solution?