More Fallon's Ragtime Gals quartet

  • Paul Girard
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25 3:19 PM
      In addition to the Justin Timberlake occasion previously reported here, there's more.

      Barbershop & Reggae:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-4FtBjjelA

      Barbershop & Rap:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbx49GBP9Vo

      And Mad TV - Gangsta Shop Quartet:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPmJWBurnlU

      Found these perusing http://www.youtube.com/channel/HChqSzcK7Li-4
      There was a link that said there were over 21,000 videos in this list, but I can't figure out how to find the rest.

      Paul
    • Mark Schuldenfrei
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27 3:47 PM
        On 3/25/2013 6:19 PM, Paul Girard wrote:
        > In addition to the Justin Timberlake occasion previously reported
        > here, there's more.

        If we are looking for more of the "interesting places where
        barbershop is appearing", I think I have a chart-topper.

        A friend of mine is one of the game designers at Irrational Games,
        and they recently released a new (well-received) video game
        called "Bioshock Infinite". It takes place in a floating city
        whose design is inspired greatly by early 20th century design
        motifs.

        In one scene/locale in the game, a barbershop quartet floats by
        on a barge, singing the Beach Boys "God Only Knows". You
        can see a video of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndgGe6ICvU

        Quite a credible performance. I have no idea who sang it. Nor
        who arranged it.

        I should say that I don't play video games, even this one. :-)
        Although, from what I am reading about the game, its complexity
        and its story-telling, this is a very good one.

        Mark Schuldenfrei
      • Dave Jacobs
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27 8:56 PM
          The quartet in Bioshock Infinite singing "God Only Knows" is our own
          medalist quartet, A Mighty Wind!
          And, yes, it is "quite a credible performance"!
          --
          Dave Jacobs
          Musical Director - Barbergator Chorus http://www.barbergators.com/

          On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Mark Schuldenfrei <mark@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > If we are looking for more of the "interesting places where
          > barbershop is appearing", I think I have a chart-topper.
          >
          > A friend of mine is one of the game designers at Irrational Games,
          > and they recently released a new (well-received) video game
          > called "Bioshock Infinite". It takes place in a floating city
          > whose design is inspired greatly by early 20th century design
          > motifs.
          >
          > In one scene/locale in the game, a barbershop quartet floats by
          > on a barge, singing the Beach Boys "God Only Knows". You
          > can see a video of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndgGe6ICvU
          >
          > Quite a credible performance. I have no idea who sang it. Nor
          > who arranged it.
          >
          > I should say that I don't play video games, even this one. :-)
          > Although, from what I am reading about the game, its complexity
          > and its story-telling, this is a very good one.

        • marty.lovick
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27 9:55 PM
            a bit of scrolling reveals it's A Mighty Wind

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mark Schuldenfrei <mark@...> wrote:

            > On 3/25/2013 6:19 PM, Paul Girard wrote:
            > > In addition to the Justin Timberlake occasion previously reported
            > > here, there's more.
            >
            > If we are looking for more of the "interesting places where
            > barbershop is appearing", I think I have a chart-topper.
            >
            > A friend of mine is one of the game designers at Irrational Games,
            > and they recently released a new (well-received) video game
            > called "Bioshock Infinite". It takes place in a floating city
            > whose design is inspired greatly by early 20th century design
            > motifs.
            >
            > In one scene/locale in the game, a barbershop quartet floats by
            > on a barge, singing the Beach Boys "God Only Knows". You
            > can see a video of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndgGe6ICvU
            >
            > Quite a credible performance. I have no idea who sang it. Nor
            > who arranged it.
            >
            > I should say that I don't play video games, even this one. :-)
            > Although, from what I am reading about the game, its complexity
            > and its story-telling, this is a very good one.
            >
            > Mark Schuldenfrei

          • Stephen Rafe
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28 7:00 AM
              Hi Mark --

              I like the arrangement you posted much better than the one the Ambassadors of Harmony sing at:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_GZkOXZ11Q

              I don't like the "Master's" version with its annoying use of the "doot, doot, doot" background and the "endless" - and boring -- repetition of the words, "God ony knows what I'd be without you" from 1:50 to 2:40.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 28 1:06 PM
                On 3/27/2013 11:56 PM, Dave Jacobs wrote:
                > The quartet in Bioshock Infinite singing "God Only Knows" is our own
                > medalist quartet, A Mighty Wind!
                > And, yes, it is "quite a credible performance"!

                I meant no disrespect, and I hope none was taken. With all
                the production, manipulation, and then YouTube squeezing that
                took place, I was more referring to the end result than
                the performance itself.

                Funny how short the baritone looks in virtual life. :-)

                Mark Schuldenfrei