Re: Vagabonds arrangement of Oh Susanna Dust Off That Old Pianna?

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
      I still don't know who arranged it, but thanks to my wonderfully helpful fellow barbershoppers, I now know it was on the 1973 International album (I have '72, '74, '75, and '77, so of course it was on '73!) and I have seen an arrangement that's almost identical to what they did, but with no name on it.

      So, the one question remaining: Who was that masked arranger ... ?

      Thanks!
      Dave Garstang

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David" <garsinger@...> wrote:

      > The passing last year of Clay Shumard got me looking for my old Vagabonds vinyl, without success. I also noticed that Harmony Marketplace is out of stock on "If Once More I Could Listen", the one Vagabonds CD they list (which I believe was the album containing the song). So:
      >
      > 1. Anyone know where I could pick up an album,CD, or set of MP3's containing the Vagabonds singing this song? Did it get on the International recordings ever? I have the quartet vinyl for 1975 and 1977, with Vagabonds on both (but not "Oh Susanna") , but I'm missing 1976, so I don't know if it was on it that year.
      >
      > 2. Where might I find their arrangement? Who did it? The versions available through Harmony Marketplace didn't look right, and none of them had the Vagabonds' version of the intro. I can still hear it in my head, and have the tenor part note for note, even after all these years.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > David Garstang

    • willhamblet
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
        Back in October 2000, Michael Slamka answered a similar question with the following:

        "The quartet singing "Oh Susanna" in that clip, is the AWESOME Vagabonds!!
        You can reach Ken Gibson, the tenor, at kennysing1@..."

        Since that post is over 12 years old, I have no idea whether the email address is still valid.

        Will

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David" <garsinger@...> wrote:

        > I still don't know who arranged it, but thanks to my wonderfully helpful fellow barbershoppers, I now know it was on the 1973 International album (I have '72, '74, '75, and '77, so of course it was on '73!) and I have seen an arrangement that's almost identical to what they did, but with no name on it.
        >
        > So, the one question remaining: Who was that masked arranger ... ?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Dave Garstang
        >
        > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David" <garsinger@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The passing last year of Clay Shumard got me looking for my old Vagabonds vinyl, without success. I also noticed that Harmony Marketplace is out of stock on "If Once More I Could Listen", the one Vagabonds CD they list (which I believe was the album containing the song). So:
        > >
        > > 1. Anyone know where I could pick up an album,CD, or set of MP3's containing the Vagabonds singing this song? Did it get on the International recordings ever? I have the quartet vinyl for 1975 and 1977, with Vagabonds on both (but not "Oh Susanna") , but I'm missing 1976, so I don't know if it was on it that year.
        > >
        > > 2. Where might I find their arrangement? Who did it? The versions available through Harmony Marketplace didn't look right, and none of them had the Vagabonds' version of the intro. I can still hear it in my head, and have the tenor part note for note, even after all these years.
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > David Garstang

      • willhamblet
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
          Oooops, sorry, didn't know the address would be edited. Let's try again:

          kennysing1 @aol. com

          Hope that works!

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "willhamblet" <willhamblet@...> wrote:

          > Back in October 2000, Michael Slamka answered a similar question with the following:
          >
          > "The quartet singing "Oh Susanna" in that clip, is the AWESOME Vagabonds!!
          > You can reach Ken Gibson, the tenor, at kennysing1@..."
          >
          > Since that post is over 12 years old, I have no idea whether the email address is still valid.
          >
          > Will
          >

          > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David" <garsinger@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I still don't know who arranged it, but thanks to my wonderfully helpful fellow barbershoppers, I now know it was on the 1973 International album (I have '72, '74, '75, and '77, so of course it was on '73!) and I have seen an arrangement that's almost identical to what they did, but with no name on it.
          > >
          > > So, the one question remaining: Who was that masked arranger ... ?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Dave Garstang
          > >
          > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David" <garsinger@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > The passing last year of Clay Shumard got me looking for my old Vagabonds vinyl, without success. I also noticed that Harmony Marketplace is out of stock on "If Once More I Could Listen", the one Vagabonds CD they list (which I believe was the album containing the song). So:
          > > >
          > > > 1. Anyone know where I could pick up an album,CD, or set of MP3's containing the Vagabonds singing this song? Did it get on the International recordings ever? I have the quartet vinyl for 1975 and 1977, with Vagabonds on both (but not "Oh Susanna") , but I'm missing 1976, so I don't know if it was on it that year.
          > > >
          > > > 2. Where might I find their arrangement? Who did it? The versions available through Harmony Marketplace didn't look right, and none of them had the Vagabonds' version of the intro. I can still hear it in my head, and have the tenor part note for note, even after all these years.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks!
          > > > David Garstang

        • themcalexanders
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
            According to Members Only, his current email address is:

            Kennysing @ comcast.net (remove spaces)

            Ann McAlexander