Re: [bbshop] Disinfecting microphones, et al

  • Stephen Rafe
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
      Not all of my singing is barbershopping. And the singers I coach privately aren't barbershoppers.
      One place where I sing regularly (including last night from 9 to midnight) has mics that require the singers to be within 3 inches of the head -- otherwise they pick up too much ambient sound. The place where I'll be singing tonight also requires close contact with the mic.

      A singer I worked with on voice production auditioned for a regional Idol competition and was told in rehearsal (without the band) that she would be fine holding the microphone 10-12 inches away from her face. Then when she performed, the band drowned her out so she pushed hard to try to compensate and ended up with a sore throat.

      Thanks --

      Stephen
      STEPHEN RAFE

    • Stephen Rafe
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
        They all need cleaning IMO. And don't forget the barrels. If you're ever in a gig of any kind where there are no stands you'll be holding the mics barrels and chances are those who have precede you have touched stuff that can carry some pretty nasty "bugs."

        Further to this topic as I keep digging into the research:.

        "Microphones can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Microphones are used in front of our mouths. They are spit on, sneezed on and handled from the top down. The germs and viruses left on a microphone can remain infectious for as long as 48 hours or more depending on how much moisture is present."

        So take care of the microphones' barrels --not just the heads.

        "It is generally believed that cold and flu viruses survive for longer periods on nonporous surfaces - such as plastic, metal or wood - than they do on porous surfaces - such as fabric or paper. Although cold and flu viruses primarily spread from person-to-person contact, they can also spread from contact with contaminated objects or surfaces."

        http://www.jdbsound.com/microphone_health.pdf

        BTW -- I am about to buy my own mic (for non-barbershop singing). Which of these four brands should I purchase? Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica or AKG?

        Thanks --

        Stephen
        STEPHEN RAFE