Re: [bbshop] Disinfecting microphones, et al

  • Michael Moran
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22 10:33 PM
      Put tape on the stage where you want the singers to stand. The microphones that may need cleaning are some radio station microphones like the RE20's

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 22, 2013, at 1:54 AM, Robert Dunn <bobdunn@...> wrote:

      > Shelly, et. al.,
      >
      > When I do the sound for our chapter, I use large diameter capacitor mics, like the AT 4033, the AT 4050 or the Shure KSM 32. I am CONSTANTLY assuring the quartets that the mics are plenty sensitive, and that there is no reason to get within an arm's length, or so, from it. That way the quartet can cup around it with the mic at the focal point. But, I still find Barbershoppers creeping up on it and getting closer than I want, causing breath pops, etc.
      >
      > But NOW! GENIUS! I will tell them that if they get too close to it they will get some terrible disease that will wreak havoc on their health and voices. So, if not just for the sound production of the mics, at least for the health aspects of the singers, please stay at least 18" away from
      > the mic.
      >
      > GENIUS, I say.
      >
      > In Love and Harmony,
      >
      > Bob Dunn
      > Walnut Creek, CA
      > The Devil Mountain Chorus

    • Shelley Herman
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22 11:34 PM
        Electro Voice RE20 or almost any of their mic's from that era are
        marginal for use with barbershop. The pattern and equalization are
        not kind to our kind of music. Very dry sound. They are designed for
        spoken word. The RE20 is probably the best announce since the RCA
        44BX Shure and especially Beyerdynamic are much better choices for
        singers. The Royer cardioid is a good quartet mic, but my favorite
        is the RCA 77DX.

        I was at a Grammy party where Sarah Vaughn sang using a Beyer M500,
        with the Count Basie band backing her up. In the dictionary next to
        the word smoooooth is that picture.

        And just to refresh your memories about Beyonce singing to prerecorded
        track. Every movie musical you have ever seen, from The Jazz Singer
        onward has the singers lip synching to pre recorded tracks. The
        easiest way to tell is by watching and listening: If you see a
        soloist or chorus singing and it sounds like they are close to the
        mic,and you don't see a microphone in the picture or the lead singer
        turns away ffom the front and their voice stays the same., Guess
        What--lip sync. Also most production numbers have the orchestra record
        first, then the vocals are recorded. When it comes time to shoot the
        picture the whole thing is played on big speakers on the sound stage
        and everyone dances and sings to the pre-recorded track. It's really
        expensive to "take 2" on a 100 person production number because the
        third trumpet played a wrong note! Two movies that depict this
        process are Singin' In The Rain and Jolson Sings Again.

        Les Paul is the one who pioneered this process for live sound, he also
        invented multi track recording.

        With the advances in wireless microphones and in-ear monitors, some of
        the entertainers are bravely trying to do it live. Some of the
        independents on a really cheap budget try to not prerecord, but the
        results are obvious.

        Most of the big production TV musical shows are also done this way.
        The exceptions are classical music and Andre Rieu.

        Shelley Herman
        saherman@...

      • Stephen Rafe
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 23 7:11 AM
          Not all of my singing is barbershopping. And the singers I coach privately aren't barbershoppers.
          One place where I sing regularly (including last night from 9 to midnight) has mics that require the singers to be within 3 inches of the head -- otherwise they pick up too much ambient sound. The place where I'll be singing tonight also requires close contact with the mic.

          A singer I worked with on voice production auditioned for a regional Idol competition and was told in rehearsal (without the band) that she would be fine holding the microphone 10-12 inches away from her face. Then when she performed, the band drowned her out so she pushed hard to try to compensate and ended up with a sore throat.

          Thanks --

          Stephen
          STEPHEN RAFE

        • Stephen Rafe
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 23 10:53 AM
            They all need cleaning IMO. And don't forget the barrels. If you're ever in a gig of any kind where there are no stands you'll be holding the mics barrels and chances are those who have precede you have touched stuff that can carry some pretty nasty "bugs."

            Further to this topic as I keep digging into the research:.

            "Microphones can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Microphones are used in front of our mouths. They are spit on, sneezed on and handled from the top down. The germs and viruses left on a microphone can remain infectious for as long as 48 hours or more depending on how much moisture is present."

            So take care of the microphones' barrels --not just the heads.

            "It is generally believed that cold and flu viruses survive for longer periods on nonporous surfaces - such as plastic, metal or wood - than they do on porous surfaces - such as fabric or paper. Although cold and flu viruses primarily spread from person-to-person contact, they can also spread from contact with contaminated objects or surfaces."

            http://www.jdbsound.com/microphone_health.pdf

            BTW -- I am about to buy my own mic (for non-barbershop singing). Which of these four brands should I purchase? Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica or AKG?

            Thanks --

            Stephen
            STEPHEN RAFE