Re: [bbshop] Disinfecting microphones, et al

  • Shelley Herman
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
      In this case, I repeat, don't stuff the mic into your mouth, six
      inches is close enough. If you are worried in this situation, spray
      the windscreen with disinfectant WHEN IT IS OFF THE MICROPHONE and
      hope for the best.

      Not all hand held mic's are SM58's. I often use Beyer ribbons for
      that duty, they sound ever so much better!

      Shelley Herman
      saherman@...

      On Mar 22, 2013, at 4:46 PM, GSBMedalMusic@... wrote:

      > Shelley - we do use hand held microphones all the time
      > for soloists singing with chorus background (ooohh/aaah
      > shooby doo wah kind of stuff in the chorus parts ;-) on show
      > performances.
      > These mics then often get (literally) handed off to the next soloist
      > coming out for the next solo section within a song OR
      > for the next song in the show lineup.
      >
      > Obviously these are not arrangements that would fly
      > in a contest environment since they have more than 4 voice parts.
      > (Jay calls 'em "Show 'Shop. :-)
      >
      > These mics are usually those Shure 58s or somesuch?!
      > And yes, the tech guy at the high school where NT stages
      > their shows uses wind screens on all these mics. :-)

    • Michael Moran
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
        Put tape on the stage where you want the singers to stand. The microphones that may need cleaning are some radio station microphones like the RE20's

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 22, 2013, at 1:54 AM, Robert Dunn <bobdunn@...> wrote:

        > Shelly, et. al.,
        >
        > When I do the sound for our chapter, I use large diameter capacitor mics, like the AT 4033, the AT 4050 or the Shure KSM 32. I am CONSTANTLY assuring the quartets that the mics are plenty sensitive, and that there is no reason to get within an arm's length, or so, from it. That way the quartet can cup around it with the mic at the focal point. But, I still find Barbershoppers creeping up on it and getting closer than I want, causing breath pops, etc.
        >
        > But NOW! GENIUS! I will tell them that if they get too close to it they will get some terrible disease that will wreak havoc on their health and voices. So, if not just for the sound production of the mics, at least for the health aspects of the singers, please stay at least 18" away from
        > the mic.
        >
        > GENIUS, I say.
        >
        > In Love and Harmony,
        >
        > Bob Dunn
        > Walnut Creek, CA
        > The Devil Mountain Chorus

      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
          Electro Voice RE20 or almost any of their mic's from that era are
          marginal for use with barbershop. The pattern and equalization are
          not kind to our kind of music. Very dry sound. They are designed for
          spoken word. The RE20 is probably the best announce since the RCA
          44BX Shure and especially Beyerdynamic are much better choices for
          singers. The Royer cardioid is a good quartet mic, but my favorite
          is the RCA 77DX.

          I was at a Grammy party where Sarah Vaughn sang using a Beyer M500,
          with the Count Basie band backing her up. In the dictionary next to
          the word smoooooth is that picture.

          And just to refresh your memories about Beyonce singing to prerecorded
          track. Every movie musical you have ever seen, from The Jazz Singer
          onward has the singers lip synching to pre recorded tracks. The
          easiest way to tell is by watching and listening: If you see a
          soloist or chorus singing and it sounds like they are close to the
          mic,and you don't see a microphone in the picture or the lead singer
          turns away ffom the front and their voice stays the same., Guess
          What--lip sync. Also most production numbers have the orchestra record
          first, then the vocals are recorded. When it comes time to shoot the
          picture the whole thing is played on big speakers on the sound stage
          and everyone dances and sings to the pre-recorded track. It's really
          expensive to "take 2" on a 100 person production number because the
          third trumpet played a wrong note! Two movies that depict this
          process are Singin' In The Rain and Jolson Sings Again.

          Les Paul is the one who pioneered this process for live sound, he also
          invented multi track recording.

          With the advances in wireless microphones and in-ear monitors, some of
          the entertainers are bravely trying to do it live. Some of the
          independents on a really cheap budget try to not prerecord, but the
          results are obvious.

          Most of the big production TV musical shows are also done this way.
          The exceptions are classical music and Andre Rieu.

          Shelley Herman
          saherman@...

        • Stephen Rafe
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
            Not all of my singing is barbershopping. And the singers I coach privately aren't barbershoppers.
            One place where I sing regularly (including last night from 9 to midnight) has mics that require the singers to be within 3 inches of the head -- otherwise they pick up too much ambient sound. The place where I'll be singing tonight also requires close contact with the mic.

            A singer I worked with on voice production auditioned for a regional Idol competition and was told in rehearsal (without the band) that she would be fine holding the microphone 10-12 inches away from her face. Then when she performed, the band drowned her out so she pushed hard to try to compensate and ended up with a sore throat.

            Thanks --

            Stephen
            STEPHEN RAFE

          • Stephen Rafe
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
              They all need cleaning IMO. And don't forget the barrels. If you're ever in a gig of any kind where there are no stands you'll be holding the mics barrels and chances are those who have precede you have touched stuff that can carry some pretty nasty "bugs."

              Further to this topic as I keep digging into the research:.

              "Microphones can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Microphones are used in front of our mouths. They are spit on, sneezed on and handled from the top down. The germs and viruses left on a microphone can remain infectious for as long as 48 hours or more depending on how much moisture is present."

              So take care of the microphones' barrels --not just the heads.

              "It is generally believed that cold and flu viruses survive for longer periods on nonporous surfaces - such as plastic, metal or wood - than they do on porous surfaces - such as fabric or paper. Although cold and flu viruses primarily spread from person-to-person contact, they can also spread from contact with contaminated objects or surfaces."

              http://www.jdbsound.com/microphone_health.pdf

              BTW -- I am about to buy my own mic (for non-barbershop singing). Which of these four brands should I purchase? Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica or AKG?

              Thanks --

              Stephen
              STEPHEN RAFE