Music Ownership

  • Dean Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2013
      This question came up in a recent chapter meeting.

      Can a chapter purchase a piece of music, pay the arranger fee, divide that
      amount by the number of members and then have those members pay that amount
      for the music and it becomes theirs to keep instead of having to turn it
      back in or destroy it should they decide to leave?

      We understand that if they then join a quartet they still need to purchase
      it and pay the arranger fee as that quartet - but some of the guys just want
      to 'own' their music.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Dean Martin

      Connected to various chapters and quartets in the MAD

    • goldmedl
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2013
        Dean - the simple and direct answer to your question
        posed in your first paragraph is an emphatic "NO".

        When we deal with securing permission to arrange
        and print rights for music, we are effectively dealing with an
        "entity" licensing - no matter if it's a school, a barbershop chorus
        or a church choir, the license is effectively issued to an entity.

        And I am talking from our own company issuing these permissions
        to barbershoppers for the works we control OR for those
        we seek from other publishers on the entity's behalf.

        And thus the fees are being paid on behalf of the entity,
        not the individual persons participating in the entity.

        And by issuing the licenses with the entity's name,
        that effectively puts the entity in a much stronger legal
        position of having adhered to copyright law and being
        able to prove that if there is ever a legal question that
        might (shudder to think) come along.

        Would these same individuals bring this question up
        if they sing in church choir? Or a school choir?
        Whose music library is it, then?

        Part of the confusion is that when we in the barbershop
        world allow members to take this music issued to them at chorus
        home with them (instead of housing it in a music library
        like schools or churches do), the individuals then tend to
        think it's their property when it's really not,
        because the print rights licenses were NOT
        issued to the individuals but to the groups (quartets or choruses).

        Any other questions?

        Helen Giallombardo
        Copyrights/Licensing Mgr.
        Gold-Silver-Bronze Medal Music Inc.
        representing the folio of original songs & arrangements
        by Jay Giallombardo (and.... a few others - we are starting
        to build our stable of additional composers and
        arrangers slowly but surely)