Re: [bbshop] Disinfecting microphones, et al

  • Shelley Herman
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
      If you are worried about catching a bug from a contaminated
      microphone, carry your own windscreen with you. Most windscreens will
      fit an assortment of microphones. Don't try to make your own
      windscreen with any old foam, because most foam is 'closed cell' and
      will function as a sound muffler.

      That being said, this should not be a problem for barbershoppers
      because we should not be holding mic's close to our mouths like
      soloists do.

      If you want to wipe a mic, use an alcohol wipe or other disinfectant
      wipe on a handheld mic. Don't use a spray. Mic's on a stand are not a
      problem because you should not be touching the mic anyway.

      I always preach to quartets: "Be aware of the mic, but don't touch it!"

      Shelley Herman
      saherman@...

      On Mar 21, 2013, at 10:09 AM, John Witmer wrote:

      > Would one of the music tech people comment on using a disinfectant
      > on a mic?
      > 1. Do they really help?
      > 2. Do they hurt the cover? the mic itself?
      > 3. What is a good brand to carry with you?
      >
      > Shelley? Anyone?
      >
      > Chordially, John Witmer

    • Michael Moran
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
        Try to use 98% alcohol because it has less water and evaporates fast.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 22, 2013, at 12:14 AM, Shelley Herman <saherman@...> wrote:

        > If you are worried about catching a bug from a contaminated
        > microphone, carry your own windscreen with you. Most windscreens will
        > fit an assortment of microphones. Don't try to make your own
        > windscreen with any old foam, because most foam is 'closed cell' and
        > will function as a sound muffler.
        >
        > That being said, this should not be a problem for barbershoppers
        > because we should not be holding mic's close to our mouths like
        > soloists do.
        >
        > If you want to wipe a mic, use an alcohol wipe or other disinfectant
        > wipe on a handheld mic. Don't use a spray. Mic's on a stand are not a
        > problem because you should not be touching the mic anyway.
        >
        > I always preach to quartets: "Be aware of the mic, but don't touch it!"
        >
        > Shelley Herman
        > saherman@...
        >
        > On Mar 21, 2013, at 10:09 AM, John Witmer wrote:
        >
        > > Would one of the music tech people comment on using a disinfectant
        > > on a mic?
        > > 1. Do they really help?
        > > 2. Do they hurt the cover? the mic itself?
        > > 3. What is a good brand to carry with you?
        > >
        > > Shelley? Anyone?
        > >
        > > Chordially, John Witmer

      • Robert Dunn
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2013
          Shelly, et. al.,

          When I do the sound for our chapter, I use large diameter capacitor mics, like the AT 4033, the AT 4050 or the Shure KSM 32.  I am CONSTANTLY assuring the quartets that the mics are plenty sensitive, and that there is no reason to get within an arm's length, or so, from it.  That way the quartet can cup around it with the mic at the focal point.  But, I still find Barbershoppers creeping up on it and getting closer than I want, causing breath pops, etc.

          But NOW!  GENIUS!  I will tell them that if they get too close to it they will get some terrible disease that will wreak havoc on their health and voices.  So, if not just for the sound production of the mics, at least for the health aspects of the singers, please stay at least 18" away from
          the mic.

          GENIUS, I say.

          In Love and Harmony,

          Bob Dunn
          Walnut Creek, CA
          The Devil Mountain Chorus

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
            John, I can tell you that I own a matched pair of Neumann KM184's and if anybody got anywhere near them with any type of spray can it wouldn't be the most pleasant conversation (they cost ~2 grand a pair). I can also tell you that I never use them without the wind screens and I disinfect the wind screens after each event. I have followed this procedure since I purchased them.

            Daniel Proctor
            Baritone, odd Man out Quartet, http://oddMANoutQT.com
            Big Orange Chorus, Secretary 2013
            Big Orange Chorus, Learning Materials Coordinator
            Big Orange Chorus, Recording HUB Email, Hub@...

            The information in this email is intended to be totally worthless and devoid of any benefit to anyone. If you received this communication in error or if you accidentally read it when it wasn't addressed to you, then please immediately delete your entire address book and then energetically beat yourself about the head with a recent technology publication of your choice. Any intelligent action taken in response to the above information is prohibited, so there.

            To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
              Okay.

              I was only thinking of "misting" the equipment, not drowning it.Would it be
              all right to wipe the microphones' surfaces with a tissue that has a little
              Lysol on it?

              I still advocate spraying the windscreens with Lysol, or replacing them, or
              replacing the mic head altogether with the singer's own. And if those are
              not possible or permissible, one might try the following procedure:

              1 -- Tilt head back.
              2 -- Say "Ahhhh.
              3 -- Aim Lysol can toward tonsils.
              4 -- Push spray button firmly

              LOL

              Stephen
              STEPHEN RAFE
            • Shelley Herman
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                Stay away from the spray! Wiping is OK if you must. But to repeat
                myself, even louder: BARBERSHOPPERS DO NOT NEED TO HAND HOLD
                MICROPHONES. LEAVE IT ON THE STAND AT LEAST ARMS LENGTH AWAY FROM THE
                QUARTET.

                At arms length, you are not going to catch anything from anyone.

                Shelley Herman
                saherman@...

                On Mar 22, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Stephen Rafe wrote:

                > I was only thinking of "misting" the equipment, not drowning
                > it.Would it be
                > all right to wipe the microphones' surfaces with a tissue that has a
                > little
                > Lysol on it?

              • goldmedl
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                  Shelley - we do use hand held microphones all the time
                  for soloists singing with chorus background (ooohh/aaah
                  shooby doo wah kind of stuff in the chorus parts ;-) on show performances.
                  These mics then often get (literally) handed off to the next soloist
                  coming out for the next solo section within a song OR
                  for the next song in the show lineup.

                  Obviously these are not arrangements that would fly
                  in a contest environment since they have more than 4 voice parts.
                  (Jay calls 'em "Show 'Shop. :-)

                  These mics are usually those Shure 58s or somesuch?!
                  And yes, the tech guy at the high school where NT stages
                  their shows uses wind screens on all these mics. :-)

                  - Helen Giallombardo

                • Shelley Herman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                    In this case, I repeat, don't stuff the mic into your mouth, six
                    inches is close enough. If you are worried in this situation, spray
                    the windscreen with disinfectant WHEN IT IS OFF THE MICROPHONE and
                    hope for the best.

                    Not all hand held mic's are SM58's. I often use Beyer ribbons for
                    that duty, they sound ever so much better!

                    Shelley Herman
                    saherman@...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                      Put tape on the stage where you want the singers to stand. The microphones that may need cleaning are some radio station microphones like the RE20's

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Mar 22, 2013, at 1:54 AM, Robert Dunn <bobdunn@...> wrote:

                      > Shelly, et. al.,
                      >
                      > When I do the sound for our chapter, I use large diameter capacitor mics, like the AT 4033, the AT 4050 or the Shure KSM 32. I am CONSTANTLY assuring the quartets that the mics are plenty sensitive, and that there is no reason to get within an arm's length, or so, from it. That way the quartet can cup around it with the mic at the focal point. But, I still find Barbershoppers creeping up on it and getting closer than I want, causing breath pops, etc.
                      >
                      > But NOW! GENIUS! I will tell them that if they get too close to it they will get some terrible disease that will wreak havoc on their health and voices. So, if not just for the sound production of the mics, at least for the health aspects of the singers, please stay at least 18" away from
                      > the mic.
                      >
                      > GENIUS, I say.
                      >
                      > In Love and Harmony,
                      >
                      > Bob Dunn
                      > Walnut Creek, CA
                      > The Devil Mountain Chorus

                    • Shelley Herman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 22, 2013
                        Electro Voice RE20 or almost any of their mic's from that era are
                        marginal for use with barbershop. The pattern and equalization are
                        not kind to our kind of music. Very dry sound. They are designed for
                        spoken word. The RE20 is probably the best announce since the RCA
                        44BX Shure and especially Beyerdynamic are much better choices for
                        singers. The Royer cardioid is a good quartet mic, but my favorite
                        is the RCA 77DX.

                        I was at a Grammy party where Sarah Vaughn sang using a Beyer M500,
                        with the Count Basie band backing her up. In the dictionary next to
                        the word smoooooth is that picture.

                        And just to refresh your memories about Beyonce singing to prerecorded
                        track. Every movie musical you have ever seen, from The Jazz Singer
                        onward has the singers lip synching to pre recorded tracks. The
                        easiest way to tell is by watching and listening: If you see a
                        soloist or chorus singing and it sounds like they are close to the
                        mic,and you don't see a microphone in the picture or the lead singer
                        turns away ffom the front and their voice stays the same., Guess
                        What--lip sync. Also most production numbers have the orchestra record
                        first, then the vocals are recorded. When it comes time to shoot the
                        picture the whole thing is played on big speakers on the sound stage
                        and everyone dances and sings to the pre-recorded track. It's really
                        expensive to "take 2" on a 100 person production number because the
                        third trumpet played a wrong note! Two movies that depict this
                        process are Singin' In The Rain and Jolson Sings Again.

                        Les Paul is the one who pioneered this process for live sound, he also
                        invented multi track recording.

                        With the advances in wireless microphones and in-ear monitors, some of
                        the entertainers are bravely trying to do it live. Some of the
                        independents on a really cheap budget try to not prerecord, but the
                        results are obvious.

                        Most of the big production TV musical shows are also done this way.
                        The exceptions are classical music and Andre Rieu.

                        Shelley Herman
                        saherman@...

                      • Stephen Rafe
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
                          Not all of my singing is barbershopping. And the singers I coach privately aren't barbershoppers.
                          One place where I sing regularly (including last night from 9 to midnight) has mics that require the singers to be within 3 inches of the head -- otherwise they pick up too much ambient sound. The place where I'll be singing tonight also requires close contact with the mic.

                          A singer I worked with on voice production auditioned for a regional Idol competition and was told in rehearsal (without the band) that she would be fine holding the microphone 10-12 inches away from her face. Then when she performed, the band drowned her out so she pushed hard to try to compensate and ended up with a sore throat.

                          Thanks --

                          Stephen
                          STEPHEN RAFE

                        • Stephen Rafe
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 23, 2013
                            They all need cleaning IMO. And don't forget the barrels. If you're ever in a gig of any kind where there are no stands you'll be holding the mics barrels and chances are those who have precede you have touched stuff that can carry some pretty nasty "bugs."

                            Further to this topic as I keep digging into the research:.

                            "Microphones can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Microphones are used in front of our mouths. They are spit on, sneezed on and handled from the top down. The germs and viruses left on a microphone can remain infectious for as long as 48 hours or more depending on how much moisture is present."

                            So take care of the microphones' barrels --not just the heads.

                            "It is generally believed that cold and flu viruses survive for longer periods on nonporous surfaces - such as plastic, metal or wood - than they do on porous surfaces - such as fabric or paper. Although cold and flu viruses primarily spread from person-to-person contact, they can also spread from contact with contaminated objects or surfaces."

                            http://www.jdbsound.com/microphone_health.pdf

                            BTW -- I am about to buy my own mic (for non-barbershop singing). Which of these four brands should I purchase? Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica or AKG?

                            Thanks --

                            Stephen
                            STEPHEN RAFE