Re: Android barbershop tags App.

  • Charlie Davenport
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 10, 2013
      Mark, spot on... I think many who have been around for a LONG time still think that Headquarters is manned by unlimited personnel with unlimited talent with unlimited time and unlimited funding to do all, see all and always be ahead of the curve.. With such a wealth of talent out there, it is great that we have people willing to share...

      Charlie D...

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:

      > On 1/10/2013 8:07 AM, Stephen Rafe wrote:
      > > Why wasn't the BHS on top of this and why didn't they create and post
      > > tags that would serve the Society well? Where was International's
      > > Music Committee? Where was the Board of Directors? Where was the
      > > Staff
      >
      > These are excellent questions for the staff at Harmony Hall.
      >
      > BUT: before you ask, why not look on their web site? The
      > "Resources" web page has a lot of information:
      > http://www.barbershop.org/resources.html
      >
      > There is a web page with the Classic Tags book and many videos
      > and PDFs of tags:
      > http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/23-tags.html
      >
      > And, of course, the BHS has a YouTube channel, which sometimes
      > includes tags. A new one was released 2 days ago:
      > https://www.youtube.com/barbershopharmony38
      >
      > I gather it is fairly typical of some age groups to look to
      > authority or established hierarchy to solve existing problems,
      > while younger age groups tend to be more creative and to
      > resolve their problems themselves. I feel that the more people
      > provide their own unique solutions, the more creativity and
      > diversity we can see in how to resolve problems and find
      > solutions.
      >
      > Mark "Double-Master-Google-Fu" Schuldenfrei
      >
      > PS Try using Google and typing site:http://www.barbershop.org
      > and your search string, in order to confine it's search
      > results to just the BHS web site.

    • Tom Schleier
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 10, 2013
        We should all look at the staffing page in the Harmonizer and realize that the 'lean machine' at Harmony hall is on the road about half of the time taking care of the membership, visiting chapters, coaching, teaching, counseling, and the rest of the time they are planning, judging, and manning the phones.

        Kudos the each of them for making it look easy to us members when it is a challenge.

        Tom Schleier

        On Jan 10, 2013, at 2:34 PM, "Charlie Davenport" <charliedbhs@...> wrote:

        > Mark, spot on... I think many who have been around for a LONG time still think that Headquarters is manned by unlimited personnel with unlimited talent with unlimited time and unlimited funding to do all, see all and always be ahead of the curve.. With such a wealth of talent out there, it is great that we have people willing to share...
        >
        > Charlie D...
        >
        > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:
        >>
        >> On 1/10/2013 8:07 AM, Stephen Rafe wrote:
        >>> Why wasn't the BHS on top of this and why didn't they create and post
        >>> tags that would serve the Society well? Where was International's
        >>> Music Committee? Where was the Board of Directors? Where was the
        >>> Staff
        >>
        >> These are excellent questions for the staff at Harmony Hall.
        >>
        >> BUT: before you ask, why not look on their web site? The
        >> "Resources" web page has a lot of information:
        >> http://www.barbershop.org/resources.html
        >>
        >> There is a web page with the Classic Tags book and many videos
        >> and PDFs of tags:
        >> http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/23-tags.html
        >>
        >> And, of course, the BHS has a YouTube channel, which sometimes
        >> includes tags. A new one was released 2 days ago:
        >> https://www.youtube.com/barbershopharmony38
        >>
        >> I gather it is fairly typical of some age groups to look to
        >> authority or established hierarchy to solve existing problems,
        >> while younger age groups tend to be more creative and to
        >> resolve their problems themselves. I feel that the more people
        >> provide their own unique solutions, the more creativity and
        >> diversity we can see in how to resolve problems and find
        >> solutions.
        >>
        >> Mark "Double-Master-Google-Fu" Schuldenfrei
        >>
        >> PS Try using Google and typing site:http://www.barbershop.org
        >> and your search string, in order to confine it's search
        >> results to just the BHS web site.

      • Jamie Bedford
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 10, 2013
          Also, the stuff on the barbershoptags.com website is at the very least
          questionably non-compliant with copyright laws. Tags (sheet music and audio
          tracks and videos) are, I imagine, possibly copyrightable materials. So...
          the BHS most likely needs to restrict itself to stuff it KNOWS is legally
          safe.

          Besides that, if your question is why the BHS didn't develop the mobile
          apps itself... well, developing apps is very time consuming, and also
          requires a specific skill set. Putting together a "good" app is that much
          more difficult. Not a good investment for our society, in my opinion,
          unless someone is going to work on it as a side project. I imagine they
          have more useful things to do with their time, especially since independent
          developers solved that problem (fairly quickly, and fairly well).

          That said, the BHS (or perhaps the mobile app developers) may want to be in
          communication w/ the folks running the barbershoptags.com website, just in
          case the owner of that site ever has to cease operations. It'd make sense
          for someone to buy it out rather than starting over. It's a GREAT data
          source, very very valuable to those who use it, and if it went away it'd be
          a real shame and a lot of work to replace it.

          Jamie

          On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Charlie Davenport
          <charliedbhs@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Mark, spot on... I think many who have been around for a LONG time still
          > think that Headquarters is manned by unlimited personnel with unlimited
          > talent with unlimited time and unlimited funding to do all, see all and
          > always be ahead of the curve.. With such a wealth of talent out there, it
          > is great that we have people willing to share...
          >
          > Charlie D...
          >
          > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:
          > >
          > > On 1/10/2013 8:07 AM, Stephen Rafe wrote:
          > > > Why wasn't the BHS on top of this and why didn't they create and post
          > > > tags that would serve the Society well? Where was International's
          > > > Music Committee? Where was the Board of Directors? Where was the
          > > > Staff
          > >
          > > These are excellent questions for the staff at Harmony Hall.
          > >
          > > BUT: before you ask, why not look on their web site? The
          > > "Resources" web page has a lot of information:
          > > http://www.barbershop.org/resources.html
          > >
          > > There is a web page with the Classic Tags book and many videos
          > > and PDFs of tags:
          > > http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/23-tags.html
          > >
          > > And, of course, the BHS has a YouTube channel, which sometimes
          > > includes tags. A new one was released 2 days ago:
          > > https://www.youtube.com/barbershopharmony38
          > >
          > > I gather it is fairly typical of some age groups to look to
          > > authority or established hierarchy to solve existing problems,
          > > while younger age groups tend to be more creative and to
          > > resolve their problems themselves. I feel that the more people
          > > provide their own unique solutions, the more creativity and
          > > diversity we can see in how to resolve problems and find
          > > solutions.
          > >
          > > Mark "Double-Master-Google-Fu" Schuldenfrei
          > >
          > > PS Try using Google and typing site:http://www.barbershop.org
          > > and your search string, in order to confine it's search
          > > results to just the BHS web site.

        • Jim Adams
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 10, 2013
            When I was developing my iPhone app (Barbershop Tags) I had to put a disclaimer in the software stating that the website had responsibility for any copyright issues.

            <charliedbhs@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Mark, spot on... I think many who have been around for a LONG time
            > still think that Headquarters is manned by unlimited personnel with
            > unlimited talent with unlimited time and unlimited funding to do all,
            > see all and always be ahead of the curve.. With such a wealth of
            > talent out there, it is great that we have people willing to share...
            >
            > Charlie D...
            >
            > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mark Schuldenfrei wrote:
            > >
            > > On 1/10/2013 8:07 AM, Stephen Rafe wrote:
            > > > Why wasn't the BHS on top of this and why didn't they create and
            > > > post tags that would serve the Society well? Where was
            > > > International's Music Committee? Where was the Board of Directors?
            > > > Where was the Staff
            > >
            > > These are excellent questions for the staff at Harmony Hall.
            > >
            > > BUT: before you ask, why not look on their web site? The "Resources"
            > > web page has a lot of information:
            > > http://www.barbershop.org/resources.html
            > >
            > > There is a web page with the Classic Tags book and many videos and
            > > PDFs of tags:
            > > http://www.barbershop.org/document-center/category/23-tags.html
            > >
            > > And, of course, the BHS has a YouTube channel, which sometimes
            > > includes tags. A new one was released 2 days ago:
            > > https://www.youtube.com/barbershopharmony38
            > >
            > > I gather it is fairly typical of some age groups to look to
            > > authority or established hierarchy to solve existing problems, while
            > > younger age groups tend to be more creative and to resolve their
            > > problems themselves. I feel that the more people provide their own
            > > unique solutions, the more creativity and diversity we can see in
            > > how to resolve problems and find solutions.
            > >
            > > Mark "Double-Master-Google-Fu" Schuldenfrei
            > >
            > > PS Try using Google and typing site:http://www.barbershop.org and
            > > your search string, in order to confine it's search results to just
            > > the BHS web site.

          • Mark Schuldenfrei
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 10, 2013
              On 1/10/2013 3:28 PM, Stephen Rafe wrote:
              > Hmmm. So its up to the volunteers, not the professional staff, to do
              > what's called "completed staff work" or at least ensure that the
              > volunteers get it done?

              Only if we care about BHS and Barbershop, Stephen. Only if we care.

              Mark Schuldenfrei