12/07/1941

  • Dick Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2012
      I fully realize this is not a 'strictly' BBShop subject - but considering
      the importance of tomorrow's date - I thought it might behoove
      all of us who remember that date - and what we were doing then -
      and where we were and what we were doing.

      I'll begin by saying I was in Junior High at Eagle Grove, IA - and
      was more vitally interested in my abilities as a chess player than
      as a student of foreign affairs. My buddy, Jim Heard and I, were
      listening to a broadcast of some area disc jockey playing top hits
      of the day: "Across the Alley From The Alamo", "Open the Door
      Richard!", Ted Weems "Heartache", "Peg O' My Heart" by the
      Harmonicats, and Tex Williams "Smoke Smoke that Cigarette!"

      I can't recall the exact time or moment, but the DJ broke in to
      say the Japanese Air Force had bombed the US Navy FLeet at
      Pearl Harbor ... and, of course ... stay tuned, etc., etc..

      My recollection was one of surprise, disbelief, and then one of
      incredulity (even though I didn't know the meaning of the word
      at that time)! I remember we started to giggle a little and said
      something like ... "That won't take 'OUR' guys long to put those
      'Nips' in their place. Not a very prodigious proclamation. < G >

      Although I'm guessing there aren't very many of you still around
      who remember (first hand) the events of that day - or those of
      the days that followed - but it may be of some interest to many
      of our readers.

      What say?

      Dick Johnson
      Great Falls, MT