Kringles at Christmas

  • Stephen Rafe
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
      Each year at this time, without fail, I am reminded of a meeting in Racine,
      WI, about twenty years ago when Joe Liles introduced me to "Kringles."

      These Danish pastries have been special to Racine since the Danish bakers
      introduced them there in the late 1800s. Butter layered and almond filled,
      they are absolutely the most delicious coffee cakes anyone would want at
      Christmas -- or any other time of year. I've pasted in a picture of one.
      Hopefully you'll all be able to see it.

      How good are they? A story circulates that Racine resident, Lars Larson, was
      on his deathbed in an upstairs bedroom. His doctor had said Lars would last
      for only a matter of hours. Lars woke from a deep sleep and sniffed the
      aroma of freshly baked kringles his wife had just brought home from the
      bakery. Wit that, Lars was rejuvenated. "If I could just have one last piece
      of kringle before I die, all would be well.

      Pulling together all his remaining strength, he slowly he made his way down
      the stairs, into the kitchen, and over to the two kringles on the counter.
      Just as he was reaching over to take a piece, his wife walked into the room,
      swatted his hand away and exclaimed:

      "Don't touch that!" "We're saving these for your funeral."

      Stephen
      STEPHEN RAFE

    • Stephen Rafe
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
        Since the photo didn't show up, here's a shortened URL that will take you to
        several sites and photos.

        Stephen
        .
        > Each year at this time, without fail, I am reminded of a meeting in
        > Racine,
        > WI, about twenty years ago when Joe Liles introduced me to "Kringles."
        >
        > These Danish pastries have been special to Racine since the Danish bakers
        > introduced them there in the late 1800s. Butter layered and almond filled,
        > they are absolutely the most delicious coffee cakes anyone would want at
        > Christmas -- or any other time of year. I've pasted in a picture of one.
        > Hopefully you'll all be able to see it.
        >

        > How good are they? A story circulates that Racine resident, Lars Larson,
        > was
        > on his deathbed in an upstairs bedroom. His doctor had said Lars would
        > last
        > for only a matter of hours. Lars woke from a deep sleep and sniffed the
        > aroma of freshly baked kringles his wife had just brought home from the
        > bakery. Wit that, Lars was rejuvenated. "If I could just have one last
        > piece
        > of kringle before I die, all would be well.
        >
        > Pulling together all his remaining strength, he slowly he made his way
        > down
        > the stairs, into the kitchen, and over to the two kringles on the counter.
        > Just as he was reaching over to take a piece, his wife walked into the
        > room,
        > swatted his hand away and exclaimed:
        >
        > "Don't touch that!" "We're saving these for your funeral."
        >
        > Stephen
        > STEPHEN RAFE

      • Stephen Rafe
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012