Clay Shumard passing

  • Mike O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
      Here is link to the obituary for Clay. He was the baritone in the 1976 Silver Medalists, THE VAGABONDS.

      Yours in Harmony,
      Mike O'Donnell

      http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/grandrapids/obituary.aspx?n=Clason-Shumard&pid=160766181#fbLoggedOut

    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2012
        I wasn't fortunate enough to meet Clay, but I sure remember him. The 1976 International where they won their silver medal was my first. I even had a front row seat, though I had to bring my own chair to get it. I'd tried to fly my dad's car a few weeks earlier (it flew OK, but the landing was a bit rough ...) and was in a wheelchair.

        They were brilliant! I was singing baritone at the time, and Clay was my instant hero for the effortless way he fit his part into that amazing sound. In my book, he still ranks as one of the greatest baritones of all time.

        So, I guess it's time to dust off my old Vagabonds vinyl and some fond 36-year-old memories, and raise a glass to Clay.

        Dave Garstang

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mike O'Donnell <BBSMike@...> wrote:

        > Here is link to the obituary for Clay. He was the baritone in the 1976 Silver Medalists, THE VAGABONDS.
        >
        > Yours in Harmony,
        > Mike O'Donnell
        >
        > http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/grandrapids/obituary.aspx?n=Clason-Shumard&pid=160766181#fbLoggedOut

      • tpblead
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
          I "discovered" the Vagabonds while listening to Live365.com one day at work. I suddenly heard the most incredible ring, coming, not just from a recording, but from a recording streamed across the internet. I have not heard anything like that since. I immediately consulted the program guide and went searching for recordings from this incredible quartet, and was extremely surprised to find that they had never won gold.

          A couple of years later, I was at my first International in Nashville, 2008, and I happened to run across Denny Gore. Well, I had to introduce myself, both because of that incredible sound I had heard, and because I was a fellow Michigander. During the course of my conversation with this incredibly gracious man, he related to me that, in his opinion, the incredible ring that the Vagabonds were able to produce, came fully to fruition when Clay joined the quartet. Something about the way he laid that baritone sound into the chord with the other three parts, just cemented the lock and produced the magnificent sound that they were noted for. Right about that same time, there was a Harmonizer article about the greatest quartets that had never won Gold. At the top of that list, was the Vagabonds. I could not agree more. I never got to meet Clay Shumard, but I have sung with him countless times, while I am in my car. And every time, that ring sends chills down my arms.

          RIP, Clay.

          Tim Buell

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David" <garsinger@...> wrote:

          > I wasn't fortunate enough to meet Clay, but I sure remember him. The 1976 International where they won their silver medal was my first. I even had a front row seat, though I had to bring my own chair to get it. I'd tried to fly my dad's car a few weeks earlier (it flew OK, but the landing was a bit rough ...) and was in a wheelchair.
          >
          > They were brilliant! I was singing baritone at the time, and Clay was my instant hero for the effortless way he fit his part into that amazing sound. In my book, he still ranks as one of the greatest baritones of all time.
          >
          > So, I guess it's time to dust off my old Vagabonds vinyl and some fond 36-year-old memories, and raise a glass to Clay.
          >
          > Dave Garstang
          >
          > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mike O'Donnell <BBSMike@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here is link to the obituary for Clay. He was the baritone in the 1976 Silver Medalists, THE VAGABONDS.
          > >
          > > Yours in Harmony,
          > > Mike O'Donnell
          > >
          > > http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/grandrapids/obituary.aspx?n=Clason-Shumard&pid=160766181#fbLoggedOut

        • willhamblet
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2012
            I met Clay Shumard once. He was backstage somewhere rehearsing with his pre-Vagabonds quartet. He was singing lead & I believe John Seaman was the bari. The song was Auntie Skinner's Chicken Dinner & even though they were scheduled to go on stage in less than 1/2 hour, they were changing the tag.

            VERY bold.

            Will

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "tpblead" <tpbuell@...> wrote:

            > I "discovered" the Vagabonds while listening to Live365.com one day at work. I suddenly heard the most incredible ring, coming, not just from a recording, but from a recording streamed across the internet. I have not heard anything like that since. I immediately consulted the program guide and went searching for recordings from this incredible quartet, and was extremely surprised to find that they had never won gold.
            >
            > A couple of years later, I was at my first International in Nashville, 2008, and I happened to run across Denny Gore. Well, I had to introduce myself, both because of that incredible sound I had heard, and because I was a fellow Michigander. During the course of my conversation with this incredibly gracious man, he related to me that, in his opinion, the incredible ring that the Vagabonds were able to produce, came fully to fruition when Clay joined the quartet. Something about the way he laid that baritone sound into the chord with the other three parts, just cemented the lock and produced the magnificent sound that they were noted for. Right about that same time, there was a Harmonizer article about the greatest quartets that had never won Gold. At the top of that list, was the Vagabonds. I could not agree more. I never got to meet Clay Shumard, but I have sung with him countless times, while I am in my car. And every time, that ring sends chills down my arms.
            >
            > RIP, Clay.
            >
            > Tim Buell
            >
            > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "David" <garsinger@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I wasn't fortunate enough to meet Clay, but I sure remember him. The 1976 International where they won their silver medal was my first. I even had a front row seat, though I had to bring my own chair to get it. I'd tried to fly my dad's car a few weeks earlier (it flew OK, but the landing was a bit rough ...) and was in a wheelchair.
            > >
            > > They were brilliant! I was singing baritone at the time, and Clay was my instant hero for the effortless way he fit his part into that amazing sound. In my book, he still ranks as one of the greatest baritones of all time.
            > >
            > > So, I guess it's time to dust off my old Vagabonds vinyl and some fond 36-year-old memories, and raise a glass to Clay.
            > >
            > > Dave Garstang
            > >
            > > --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Mike O'Donnell <BBSMike@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Here is link to the obituary for Clay. He was the baritone in the 1976 Silver Medalists, THE VAGABONDS.
            > > >
            > > > Yours in Harmony,
            > > > Mike O'Donnell
            > > >
            > > > http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/grandrapids/obituary.aspx?n=Clason-Shumard&pid=160766181#fbLoggedOut

          • Mike Myers
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2012
              I met Clay in 1976 in San Francisco, where we competed against the
              Vagabonds (my quartet was at the other end of the sore sheet and didn't
              make the first cut), but that didn't stop Clay from being gentlemanly,
              friendly, and encouraging to a quartet on their first-time at
              International.

              As has been mentioned by others here, the Vagabonds were a great quartet
              with a phenomenal sound. Many older baritones I know thought that Clay
              was one of the best baritones they ever heard.

              My quartet, the Brotherhood, had more occasions to meet with the
              Vagabonds, both in competition (we never came close to them , but
              enjoyed the chance of listening to them in the semi-finals and finals at
              International for another couple of years). Then came the wonderful
              opportunity to sing with them on a couple of chapter shows, including
              that of their own chapter in Michigan. These events still bring magical
              memories after all these years.

              In more recent years, I had the good fortune to run into Clay again when
              I found myself competing with him in quartets after we had both moved to
              the Dixie district. Clay was completely unchanged, although older and
              now singing lead, he was still the gentleman, still the consummate
              barber-shopper and great friend. I am saddened by his passing but
              thankful that I had the opportunity to know him and call him friend.

              Mike Myers
              Lead, Locked and Loaded Quartet
              Lead, RTP General Assembly Chorus