RE: [bbshop] EXTREMELY OFF TOPIC - jpeg file definition

  • Marty Israel
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
      Hi Netters!

      Thank you to everyone who responded!! It all helped!!

      Canto ergo sum

      Marty Israel
      Long live the 7th

      To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
      From: firmbari@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:00:05 -0400
      Subject: [bbshop] EXTREMELY OFF TOPIC - jpeg file definition

      Hi Netters,

      Sorry for the intrusion.

      Can anyone give me a layman's terms definition of a jpeg file?

      Please respond privately.

      Thank you!!

      Canto ergo sum

      Marty Israel
      Long live the 7trh

      .

    • Jeremy Reynolds
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
        Group

        I know Marty got his answer but whenever you find an abbreviation or acronym
        you don't understand, Google it! 99.99 times out of 100, you'll get the
        definition or translation of it. For example, when I Googled JPEG, I got
        "Joint Photographic Experts Group". And Wikipedia had the following:

        The term "JPEG" is an acronym for the Joint Photographic Experts Group,
        which created the standard.

        along with a definition of the format. For those of you (probably not many)
        who don't know Wikipedia, this is a cooperative encyclopedia. It is mostly
        right on nearly any subject. Since it is cooperative, it relies on the
        knowledge and honesty of all of us who might contribute to it. But also, if
        you find an inaccuracy, YOU are allowed to correct it. Wiki is a Hawaiian
        word meaning "quick" or "fast". If you have special knowledge about a
        subject and cannot find it in Wikipedia, you can add it. Heck, you could
        even add an article about yourself, though I wouldn't recommend it. Your
        enemies might alter it to your detriment. (^o^)

        Jeremy Reynolds
        Tenor, HarmoniX quartet

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
          >What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
          > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
          > the Perseus Galaxy.
          > http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesounds/
          > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
          > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
          > for at least 2.5 Billion years...

          Can a chime for the famous barbershop wind chimes be cut for this tone?
          How long would the chime be?

          Inquiring minds want to know!!

          Bert
        • Tom Meier
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
            According to the web site, http://home.fuse.net/engineering/Chimes.htm

            and using their "Cord Calculator" [sic],

            the length of a tube for that 10 million year B-flat would be:

            269,028 miles 3114 feet and 8 inches long, with a hang point 60,372 miles
            and 2944 feet (exactly!) from the end.

            That is assuming that you use standard aluminum tubing with an outer
            diameter of 2.00 inches and an inner diameter of 1.750 inches (i.e., wall
            thickness of 0.125 inches) open on both ends. Now you might want to use
            somewhat thicker tubing or make it out of a different material (do we have
            enough aluminum on this planet?), but that would change the calculation of
            length and hang point (doh!).

            And I would be very careful where you hang it. For instance, if you hung it
            from the moon, it would bump into the earth occasionally. Plus, it would be
            hard to hear in space. I suppose you could wrap it around the earth eleven
            times or so to keep it in the atmosphere, but wouldn't you have to grow
            really big ears?

            -Tom Meier

            Fairfax, VA, etc.

            9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEwOTYxNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU0BG1zZ0lkAzEwNTMyOQ
            RzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMzQ5MzgyMjQx> Re: Lowest known Bb pitch
            pipe in the universe & other music trivia

            Thu Oct 4, 2012 11:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

            <mailto:b.laurence@...?subject=Re%3A%20Lowest%20known%20Bb%20pitch%20pip
            e%20in%20the%20universe%20%26%20other%20music%20trivia> "Bert Laurence"
            bass2444

          • nlstarks@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
              You guys are hilarious...and I love it! :)

              Sent from my iPad
            • Tim Fagan
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                A few light years, at least.

                From: Bert Laurence <b.laurence@...>
                Date: Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:35 PM
                To: bbshop list BS harmonet <bbshop@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [bbshop] Re: Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe & other
                music trivia

                >What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
                > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
                > the Perseus Galaxy.

                http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesounds/
                > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
                > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
                > for at least 2.5 Billion years...

                Can a chime for the famous barbershop wind chimes be cut for this tone?
                How long would the chime be?

                Inquiring minds want to know!!

                Bert

              • MICHAEL MORAN
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                  My question is can we then get other that vibrate to make a four part chord?

                  <mailto:b.laurence@... <mailto:b.laurence%40gte.net>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                    How did the galaxy tank-up before starting that note?

                    >What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
                    > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
                    > the Perseus Galaxy.

                    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesou
                    nds/
                    > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
                    > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
                    > for at least 2.5 Billion years...

                    Can a chime for the famous barbershop wind chimes be cut for this tone?
                    How long would the chime be?

                    Inquiring minds want to know!!

                    Bert

                  • Keith Mc
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                      Tom Meier <harmonytom@...> wrote:
                      > According to the web site, http://home.fuse.net/engineering/Chimes.htm
                      > and using their "Cord Calculator" [sic],
                      > the length of a tube for that 10 million year B-flat would be:
                      > 269,028 miles 3114 feet and 8 inches long, with a hang
                      > point 60,372 miles and 2944 feet (exactly!) from the end.
                      > [assuming 2"dia aluminum tubing, with ID=1.750, etc...]
                      > [be careful how you hang it...]

                      LOL! That's funny...

                      But unfortunately, there are also other unspoken assumptions in
                      that calculator, like air composition and density being equal
                      throughout the tube. At THOSE lengths, even if you COULD
                      "hang it" vertically on some theoretically large gas giant planet,
                      the difference in atmosphere, and density variations from top
                      to bottom all need to be taken into account. It'd take a
                      new calculator, and knowing about the gas giant's atmosphere,
                      to even try to take a guess at it. (and I for one never studied
                      THAT "physics and air acoustics" math.)

                      Bottom line - I think Tom has shown that it would be a "darn
                      hard thing" to make an acoustical chime at that pitch "locally". <grin>

                      HOWEVER, you COULD easily make an electronic waveform generator
                      or microprocessor perform the waveform function, and have
                      it slowly wave a surface with a transducer.

                      But WHY? No one could "hear" it anyway...

                      BTW - In the real world, acoustical sensors for ultra low frequency
                      sounds DO exist. Very useful devices. Their uses include seismic
                      measurements such as listening for (and triangulating the location
                      of) exploding big ordinance anywhere on the planet, to "hear"
                      plate tectonic and mountain movements, and locating undersea objects.

                      They also "listen in" on the "singing" of bridges, ships, and other
                      large scale man made objects. Large objects DO oscillate, flex,
                      and "sing" a LOT at very low pitches. The change in the "tune"
                      over time tells you a lot about failures in the object's structure, etc.
                      It is like ringing a bell. When the bell clunks or chimes differently
                      than it did before, you know something has structurally changed in it.
                      (IOW, their biggest uses include detecting earthquakes, tsunamis,
                      bomb test ban violations, and structure failures.)

                      But all of THOSE uses are still orders of magnitude higher "pitches"
                      than the Super Low Note cited above.

                      - Keith Mc.
                      <sung> "Bells Are Ringing, for me and my Galleon..."
                    • AnastasioRossi
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                        Some interesting thoughts on the Lowest Known Bb in The Universe:

                        Middle C (261.63 Hz) has a wave length of 1.3 meters, or 4.3 feet.

                        That means one cycle of Middle C measures 4.3 feet - peak to peak.

                        It also means 261 cycles enter your ear each second, which your brain
                        interprets as the sound of midlle C.

                        The article says the Perseus "Sound Wave" is 57 octaves below middle C
                        (a million billion times below the limit of human hearing).

                        This is so ridiculously low, it is impossible to even imagine!

                        Some facts: Each octave down halves the frequency, and doubles the wave
                        length.

                        If you double Middle C's wavelength 57 times, the resultant wavelength
                        is
                        30,000 light years wide, or 176,358,766,237,440,000 (176+ quadrillion)
                        miles.

                        Prof Steve Allen, of the Institute of Astronomy and a co-investigator in
                        the research, says The speed of sound in the X-ray emitting gas, which
                        depends on its temperature, will be in the of order 1000 km/s (2,236,936
                        mph).

                        At that rate, even if there were an "ear" sensitive to a frequency that
                        low, it would take about 9 million years just to receive ONE CYCLE!

                        How can a vibration that is a million billion times below the limit of
                        human hearing be called a "sound wave"?

                        We don't call electromagnetic vibrations "light waves" when they are far
                        below the visible spectrum.

                        They are called radio waves, microwaves, etc., not "light" or "light
                        waves".

                        So, does it make sense to call the Perseus ripples "sound waves"?

                        ************************************************************************\
                        *****

                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Keith Mc <acti@...> wrote:

                        > (Music trivia... Impress your friends... ;-)
                        >
                        > What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
                        > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
                        > the Perseus Galaxy.
                        http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackhol\
                        esounds/

                        > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
                        > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
                        > for at least 2.5 Billion years... (Talk about a sustained tune up!)
                        >
                        > Just think of it as a Celestial Barbershop Pitch Pipe, blowing
                        > good 'ol Bb to get ready for a heavenly round of Wild Irish Rose.
                        <grin>
                        > (...and heaven help us all, when the actual song starts up! ;-)
                        >
                        > BTW... The Facebook group "I [freaking] love science" even
                        > has a single frame cartoon about it, at:
                        http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/644527_233903270068441_193997\
                        8970_n.jpg

                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "MICHAEL MORAN" <michael754@...> wrote:

                        > How did the galaxy tank-up before starting that note?

                        Of
                        > Tim Fagan
                        > Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 05:31 PM
                        > To: Bert Laurence; bbshop list BS harmonet
                        > Subject: Re: [bbshop] Re: Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe &
                        other
                        > music trivia
                        >

                        > A few light years, at least.
                        >
                        > From: Bert Laurence b.laurence@... <mailto:b.laurence%40gte.net> >
                        > Date: Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:35 PM
                        > To: bbshop list BS harmonet bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:bbshop%40yahoogroups.com> >
                        > Subject: [bbshop] Re: Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe &
                        other
                        > music trivia
                        >
                        > >What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
                        > > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
                        > > the Perseus Galaxy.

                        http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackhol\
                        esou
                        > nds/
                        > > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
                        > > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
                        > > for at least 2.5 Billion years...
                        >
                        > Can a chime for the famous barbershop wind chimes be cut for this
                        tone?
                        > How long would the chime be?
                        >
                        > Inquiring minds want to know!!
                        >
                        > Bert

                      • Keith Mc
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                          MICHAEL MORAN <michael754@...> wrote:
                          > How did the galaxy tank-up before starting that note?

                          Uh, as I said, it's a black hole, out in space... It "tanked up"
                          by eating a bunch of stars in its "neighborhood". (As Hawking
                          showed, black holes aren't really "black". They emit energy all the time.)

                          > My question is can we then get other that vibrate to make a four part chord?

                          Make three other black holes, and "tune" them to match that octave???
                          Gee, if you can figure out how to do THAT ("safely" of course ;-)
                          I'd be REALLY impressed... <grin>

                          But if you're honestly asking about making a set of real wind
                          chimes for your backyard, DUCK... That has been talked to death
                          many times over the years. It's one of the few "touchy subjects"
                          to bring up here on the list again.
                          My honest advice: Google "barbershop wind chimes", or check
                          out the group's archives, for complete instructions.
                          Google gives you this hit at the top, a compendium of instructions:
                          ... http://arneberg.com/harmonet/threads/windchimes.html

                          My $0.02... Be aware you REALLY don't want to make a BBS 7th
                          windchime, as it NEVER RESOLVES. Trust me on this... Even for
                          BBS nuts like me, it can drive you MORE nuts. IMHO it's MUCH
                          nicer to hear your favorite 4 note major "tuneup" chord [for
                          instance Bb or F for the men], so you can take a pitch & sing.

                          Good luck! (...making a chime, or making the black holes... Either one... ;-)

                          - Keith Mc.
                          <sung> "It's a barbershop note in our neighborhood, ..."
                        • Michael Moran
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                            The vibration would probably damage your internal organs.

                            Sent from my iPhone

                          • Jeff Buckles
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                              On 10/5/2012 5:20 AM, Michael Moran wrote:
                              > The vibration would probably damage your internal organs.

                              This is proven by the fact that you would die
                              while the wave is passing through you. :)

                              -- Jeff Buckles
                              -- Aloha, OR, USA