Re: [bbshop] Re: nine of 32

  • Jordan Truesdell
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
      Imagine if we required a 12 song repertoire, from which the director is
      notified 72 hours before contest by the district of the 2 contest songs, so
      that proper costume/props are brought to the competition.

      The dichotomy happens in my chorus, too. We have two songs we sing in the
      high 60s, a handful in the low 60s, and the rest in the 50s (imho, I'm not
      a judge). But many members feel we are an "almost 70" chorus and that
      number somehow magically applies to all of our songs. I get some menacing
      looks when I (as Music VP) claim we've got show songs that barely make the
      50s. We skipped District this fall, in part because I didn't have time to
      prep the show given the rigor with which we rehearse contest music.

      On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM, David <garsinger@...> wrote:

      > But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men
      > were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp
      > and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well --
      > dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.
      >
      > And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

    • tpblead
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
        A few years ago in MAD district, one of our choruses brought six songs to contest. After the men were on stage and set on the risers, the director approached the judges and asked them to pick two of six cards that had been prepared. That was how they picked the two songs that the chorus would sing for the contest. They just couldn't decide which songs they preferred, so they came prepared to sing any of them. After the cards were drawn, he turned to the chorus, told them which song they were singing and had the pitch blown. They did not win the contest by any means, but they scored pretty well, as I recall.

        Tim Buell
        Alexandria Harmonizers

        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Truesdell <jordan@...> wrote:

        > Imagine if we required a 12 song repertoire, from which the director is
        > notified 72 hours before contest by the district of the 2 contest songs, so
        > that proper costume/props are brought to the competition.
        >
        > The dichotomy happens in my chorus, too. We have two songs we sing in the
        > high 60s, a handful in the low 60s, and the rest in the 50s (imho, I'm not
        > a judge). But many members feel we are an "almost 70" chorus and that
        > number somehow magically applies to all of our songs. I get some menacing
        > looks when I (as Music VP) claim we've got show songs that barely make the
        > 50s. We skipped District this fall, in part because I didn't have time to
        > prep the show given the rigor with which we rehearse contest music.
        >
        > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM, David <garsinger@...> wrote:
        >

        > > But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men
        > > were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp
        > > and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well --
        > > dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.
        > >
        > > And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

      • John Elving
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
          Having been in three different districts and several different chapters, and
          having visited many chapters, I think that this may be the norm. We always
          think that we are better than we are. And if someone tells us different,
          they don't really know what they are talking about.

          I think that most choruses have moments of brilliance. The real difference
          between most choruses and the really great choruses is consistency. The
          great choruses, and I'm not rally talking about top competition choruses,
          work hard at being consistently great. The rest of us (my chapter included)
          are satisfied with "good enough" most of the time and expect great to come
          about without putting in the effort needed to be consistently great.

          It's the consistency that makes choruses great, not that they are any better
          to start with than the "good enough" choruses who don't strive for great
          consistency.

          --
          Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

          John Elving