Learn to Sing, what were your songs?

  • r0469381
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2012
      As "just a member" of a Barbershop chorus I'd like to make an enquiry from the wealth of knowledge available via this forum.

      There is a current UK TV popularised focus on singing (Autumn 2012) so should we, as individual organisations, be looking to capitalise on this "advertising" to increase our memberships?

      My concern is that traditional Barbershop singing/songs, whilst only a short step from the type of singing featured on the TV, is sufficiently different, perhaps, to discourage those who have raised the courage to come along either for a "Learn to Sing Course" or just rolled up one evening?

      My query is: When you chose your songs for your course did you stick to the traditional Barbershop songs or did you compromise your roots and go for something more popular-ist, and which ever you chose were you successful in recruiting members and were these popular with your existing membership?

      Thanks for your help with my query.
    • Donna Whitehouse
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2012
        If you post your name, people might answer you :-), r0469381

        But it's a very good question, and 1 I'm interested in too.

        Donna
        > On 3 Oct 2012 15:45, "r0469381" <r0469381@...> wrote

      • Marti Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2012
          I would answer this way... any peppy uptune your chorus will enjoy
          singing would make a good choice. The familiarity of a song is not
          necessarily the draw for barbershop singers - it's the ability to ring a
          chord, any chord. Just my humble opinion.

          Marti