Re: nine of 32

  • David
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
      Treating all the songs as if they were contest songs -- what a great idea!

      Some years back, I attended a chapter show out of my usual stomping grounds. The songs were good enough, and the audience was enjoying the show and getting their money's worth.

      But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well -- dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.

      And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

      Afterwards, talking to the director, I named the two songs and asked if those were their contest package. He proudly confirmed my guess. I didn't share with him that I was, in fact, disappointed. Knowing what his chorus was capable of, I felt cheated that they only gave me that excitement and energy for two of their songs.

      Please note: I love "pretty good" choruses, and think that we under-rate how enjoyable and entertaining "average" barbershop really is. But if you're going to put in the effort to improve the chorus's performance on two songs, why not do it for *all* of your songs? It's really not that much more difficult.

      Dave Garstang

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Robert Farnham <robertfarnham@...> wrote:

      > Why are you spending 90% of your time preparing for competition?  Our director gave us 6 new songs to learn before summer began, we are competing on Oct 28th in NE District.  He may know which ones we are doing in competition, but no one else does.  We are doing our best to learn all 6 songs as our Annual Show is one week after competition.  Too much emphasis placed on winning, not enough on singing well and having fun in most choruses, I would guess.  Just my humble opinion,  Much prefer our directors approach!
      > Bob Farnham
      > Bass - REWIND!
      > Bass - Concord Coachmen Chorus
      > Bass - Lakes Region Chorus
      > Bass - Kytchyn Sync!

      <SNIP>
    • Jordan Truesdell
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
        Imagine if we required a 12 song repertoire, from which the director is
        notified 72 hours before contest by the district of the 2 contest songs, so
        that proper costume/props are brought to the competition.

        The dichotomy happens in my chorus, too. We have two songs we sing in the
        high 60s, a handful in the low 60s, and the rest in the 50s (imho, I'm not
        a judge). But many members feel we are an "almost 70" chorus and that
        number somehow magically applies to all of our songs. I get some menacing
        looks when I (as Music VP) claim we've got show songs that barely make the
        50s. We skipped District this fall, in part because I didn't have time to
        prep the show given the rigor with which we rehearse contest music.

        On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM, David <garsinger@...> wrote:

        > But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men
        > were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp
        > and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well --
        > dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.
        >
        > And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

      • tpblead
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
          A few years ago in MAD district, one of our choruses brought six songs to contest. After the men were on stage and set on the risers, the director approached the judges and asked them to pick two of six cards that had been prepared. That was how they picked the two songs that the chorus would sing for the contest. They just couldn't decide which songs they preferred, so they came prepared to sing any of them. After the cards were drawn, he turned to the chorus, told them which song they were singing and had the pitch blown. They did not win the contest by any means, but they scored pretty well, as I recall.

          Tim Buell
          Alexandria Harmonizers

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Truesdell <jordan@...> wrote:

          > Imagine if we required a 12 song repertoire, from which the director is
          > notified 72 hours before contest by the district of the 2 contest songs, so
          > that proper costume/props are brought to the competition.
          >
          > The dichotomy happens in my chorus, too. We have two songs we sing in the
          > high 60s, a handful in the low 60s, and the rest in the 50s (imho, I'm not
          > a judge). But many members feel we are an "almost 70" chorus and that
          > number somehow magically applies to all of our songs. I get some menacing
          > looks when I (as Music VP) claim we've got show songs that barely make the
          > 50s. We skipped District this fall, in part because I didn't have time to
          > prep the show given the rigor with which we rehearse contest music.
          >
          > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM, David <garsinger@...> wrote:
          >

          > > But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men
          > > were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp
          > > and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well --
          > > dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.
          > >
          > > And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

        • John Elving
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
            Having been in three different districts and several different chapters, and
            having visited many chapters, I think that this may be the norm. We always
            think that we are better than we are. And if someone tells us different,
            they don't really know what they are talking about.

            I think that most choruses have moments of brilliance. The real difference
            between most choruses and the really great choruses is consistency. The
            great choruses, and I'm not rally talking about top competition choruses,
            work hard at being consistently great. The rest of us (my chapter included)
            are satisfied with "good enough" most of the time and expect great to come
            about without putting in the effort needed to be consistently great.

            It's the consistency that makes choruses great, not that they are any better
            to start with than the "good enough" choruses who don't strive for great
            consistency.

            --
            Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

            John Elving