Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe & other music trivia

  • Keith Mc
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2012
      (Music trivia... Impress your friends... ;-)

      What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
      in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
      the Perseus Galaxy.
      ... http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesounds/

      What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
      below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
      for at least 2.5 Billion years... (Talk about a sustained tune up!)

      Just think of it as a Celestial Barbershop Pitch Pipe, blowing
      good 'ol Bb to get ready for a heavenly round of Wild Irish Rose. <grin>
      (...and heaven help us all, when the actual song starts up! ;-)

      BTW... The Facebook group "I [freaking] love science" even
      has a single frame cartoon about it, at:
      ... http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/644527_233903270068441_1939978970_n.jpg

      Other tonal trivia: In Jan 2002, Tim Storms reclaimed his Guinness
      World Record for the lowest musical note produced with the
      human voice. The record is now set to 0.189 Hz, or G-7, well
      below normal human hearing:
      ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Storms
      Earlier coverage, and some YouTube clips of him singing:
      ... http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/04/extremes-of-human-voice/

      - Keith Mc.
      "...and you thought YOUR quartet's Bass could sing low notes???"
    • Paul Girard
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2012
        And check out the second item on http://did-you-kno.tumblr.com
        Makes you want to join a singing group, doesn't it?
        Paul

        On Oct 2, 2012, at 12:54 AM, bbshop@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe & other music trivia
        > Mon Oct 1, 2012 9:26 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Keith Mc" acti42(Music trivia... Impress your friends... ;-)
        >
        > What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
        > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
        > the Perseus Galaxy.
        > ... http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesounds/
        >
        > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
        > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
        > for at least 2.5 Billion years... (Talk about a sustained tune up!)
        >
        > Just think of it as a Celestial Barbershop Pitch Pipe, blowing
        > good 'ol Bb to get ready for a heavenly round of Wild Irish Rose. <grin>
        > (...and heaven help us all, when the actual song starts up! ;-)
        >
        > BTW... The Facebook group "I [freaking] love science" even
        > has a single frame cartoon about it, at:
        > ... http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/644527_233903270068441_1939978970_n.jpg
        >
        > Other tonal trivia: In Jan 2002, Tim Storms reclaimed his Guinness
        > World Record for the lowest musical note produced with the
        > human voice. The record is now set to 0.189 Hz, or G-7, well
        > below normal human hearing:
        > ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Storms
        > Earlier coverage, and some YouTube clips of him singing:
        > ... http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/04/extremes-of-human-voice/
        >
        > - Keith Mc.
        > "...and you thought YOUR quartet's Bass could sing low notes???"

      • Marty Israel
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2012
          Hi Netters,

          Sorry for the intrusion.

          Can anyone give me a layman's terms definition of a jpeg file?

          Please respond privately.

          Thank you!!

          Canto ergo sum

          Marty Israel
          Long live the 7trh

          .

        • Keith Mc
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2012
            On Oct 3, 2012, Marty Israel <firmbari@...> wrote:
            > Sorry for the intrusion.
            > Can anyone give me a layman's terms definition of a jpeg file?

            Succinctly: JPEG is the "Joint Photographic Experts Group" image
            storing protocol, It features a "lossy compression" algorithm,
            which takes advantage of the eye's physics and the brain's image
            processing and throws away a lot of the things you wouldn't "see" anyway.
            See: ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG
            It can save a huge amount of space over GIFs, BMPs, etc.
            A big feature of the format is the ability to control the trade off of
            resolution for space savings. However, one disadvantage is
            repeated opening, editing, and recompressing to "put away" of
            ANY "lossy picture" format can often muddy it up in just a few
            sessions. So IMO it is best to do all of your editing in one session
            whenever possible, from the original image, and THEN save it ONCE.

            To make it relevant here, there also exists comparable audio and
            audio-video "lossy compression" formats (such as mpeg, mp3, etc).
            They do the same thing in saving file space by throwing away audio as
            well as video features most of us wouldn't perceive. For examples, see:
            ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpeg or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3

            - Keith Mc.
            <sung> "JPEG of my heart, I love you (but I can't see your part in your 'do)... "
          • GSBMedalMusic@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2012
              At 01:59 PM 10/3/2012, Keith Mc wrote:

              >On Oct 3, 2012, Marty Israel
              ><<mailto:firmbari%40hotmail.com>firmbari@...> wrote:
              > > Sorry for the intrusion.
              > > Can anyone give me a layman's terms definition of a jpeg file?
              >
              >Succinctly: JPEG is the "Joint Photographic Experts Group" image
              >storing protocol, It features a "lossy compression" algorithm,
              >which takes advantage of the eye's physics and the brain's image
              >processing and throws away a lot of the things you wouldn't "see" anyway.

              SNIP
              So glad that our Harmonet has geeks covering all kinds of topics as
              contributors!
              Been like that since Day 1, and it always makes for interesting
              educational reading! :-)

              - Helen Giallombardo

            • Marty Israel
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                Hi Netters!

                Thank you to everyone who responded!! It all helped!!

                Canto ergo sum

                Marty Israel
                Long live the 7th

                To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                  Group

                  I know Marty got his answer but whenever you find an abbreviation or acronym
                  you don't understand, Google it! 99.99 times out of 100, you'll get the
                  definition or translation of it. For example, when I Googled JPEG, I got
                  "Joint Photographic Experts Group". And Wikipedia had the following:

                  The term "JPEG" is an acronym for the Joint Photographic Experts Group,
                  which created the standard.

                  along with a definition of the format. For those of you (probably not many)
                  who don't know Wikipedia, this is a cooperative encyclopedia. It is mostly
                  right on nearly any subject. Since it is cooperative, it relies on the
                  knowledge and honesty of all of us who might contribute to it. But also, if
                  you find an inaccuracy, YOU are allowed to correct it. Wiki is a Hawaiian
                  word meaning "quick" or "fast". If you have special knowledge about a
                  subject and cannot find it in Wikipedia, you can add it. Heck, you could
                  even add an article about yourself, though I wouldn't recommend it. Your
                  enemies might alter it to your detriment. (^o^)

                  Jeremy Reynolds
                  Tenor, HarmoniX quartet

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                    >What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
                    > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
                    > the Perseus Galaxy.
                    > http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesounds/
                    > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
                    > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
                    > for at least 2.5 Billion years...

                    Can a chime for the famous barbershop wind chimes be cut for this tone?
                    How long would the chime be?

                    Inquiring minds want to know!!

                    Bert
                  • Tom Meier
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                      According to the web site, http://home.fuse.net/engineering/Chimes.htm

                      and using their "Cord Calculator" [sic],

                      the length of a tube for that 10 million year B-flat would be:

                      269,028 miles 3114 feet and 8 inches long, with a hang point 60,372 miles
                      and 2944 feet (exactly!) from the end.

                      That is assuming that you use standard aluminum tubing with an outer
                      diameter of 2.00 inches and an inner diameter of 1.750 inches (i.e., wall
                      thickness of 0.125 inches) open on both ends. Now you might want to use
                      somewhat thicker tubing or make it out of a different material (do we have
                      enough aluminum on this planet?), but that would change the calculation of
                      length and hang point (doh!).

                      And I would be very careful where you hang it. For instance, if you hung it
                      from the moon, it would bump into the earth occasionally. Plus, it would be
                      hard to hear in space. I suppose you could wrap it around the earth eleven
                      times or so to keep it in the atmosphere, but wouldn't you have to grow
                      really big ears?

                      -Tom Meier

                      Fairfax, VA, etc.

                      9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEwOTYxNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU0BG1zZ0lkAzEwNTMyOQ
                      RzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMzQ5MzgyMjQx> Re: Lowest known Bb pitch
                      pipe in the universe & other music trivia

                      Thu Oct 4, 2012 11:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                      <mailto:b.laurence@...?subject=Re%3A%20Lowest%20known%20Bb%20pitch%20pip
                      e%20in%20the%20universe%20%26%20other%20music%20trivia> "Bert Laurence"
                      bass2444

                    • nlstarks@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                        You guys are hilarious...and I love it! :)

                        Sent from my iPad
                      • Tim Fagan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                          A few light years, at least.

                          From: Bert Laurence <b.laurence@...>
                          Date: Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:35 PM
                          To: bbshop list BS harmonet <bbshop@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: [bbshop] Re: Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe & other
                          music trivia

                          >What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
                          > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
                          > the Perseus Galaxy.

                          http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackholesounds/
                          > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
                          > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
                          > for at least 2.5 Billion years...

                          Can a chime for the famous barbershop wind chimes be cut for this tone?
                          How long would the chime be?

                          Inquiring minds want to know!!

                          Bert

                        • MICHAEL MORAN
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                            My question is can we then get other that vibrate to make a four part chord?

                            <mailto:b.laurence@... <mailto:b.laurence%40gte.net>

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                              How did the galaxy tank-up before starting that note?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                                Tom Meier <harmonytom@...> wrote:
                                > According to the web site, http://home.fuse.net/engineering/Chimes.htm
                                > and using their "Cord Calculator" [sic],
                                > the length of a tube for that 10 million year B-flat would be:
                                > 269,028 miles 3114 feet and 8 inches long, with a hang
                                > point 60,372 miles and 2944 feet (exactly!) from the end.
                                > [assuming 2"dia aluminum tubing, with ID=1.750, etc...]
                                > [be careful how you hang it...]

                                LOL! That's funny...

                                But unfortunately, there are also other unspoken assumptions in
                                that calculator, like air composition and density being equal
                                throughout the tube. At THOSE lengths, even if you COULD
                                "hang it" vertically on some theoretically large gas giant planet,
                                the difference in atmosphere, and density variations from top
                                to bottom all need to be taken into account. It'd take a
                                new calculator, and knowing about the gas giant's atmosphere,
                                to even try to take a guess at it. (and I for one never studied
                                THAT "physics and air acoustics" math.)

                                Bottom line - I think Tom has shown that it would be a "darn
                                hard thing" to make an acoustical chime at that pitch "locally". <grin>

                                HOWEVER, you COULD easily make an electronic waveform generator
                                or microprocessor perform the waveform function, and have
                                it slowly wave a surface with a transducer.

                                But WHY? No one could "hear" it anyway...

                                BTW - In the real world, acoustical sensors for ultra low frequency
                                sounds DO exist. Very useful devices. Their uses include seismic
                                measurements such as listening for (and triangulating the location
                                of) exploding big ordinance anywhere on the planet, to "hear"
                                plate tectonic and mountain movements, and locating undersea objects.

                                They also "listen in" on the "singing" of bridges, ships, and other
                                large scale man made objects. Large objects DO oscillate, flex,
                                and "sing" a LOT at very low pitches. The change in the "tune"
                                over time tells you a lot about failures in the object's structure, etc.
                                It is like ringing a bell. When the bell clunks or chimes differently
                                than it did before, you know something has structurally changed in it.
                                (IOW, their biggest uses include detecting earthquakes, tsunamis,
                                bomb test ban violations, and structure failures.)

                                But all of THOSE uses are still orders of magnitude higher "pitches"
                                than the Super Low Note cited above.

                                - Keith Mc.
                                <sung> "Bells Are Ringing, for me and my Galleon..."
                              • AnastasioRossi
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                                  Some interesting thoughts on the Lowest Known Bb in The Universe:

                                  Middle C (261.63 Hz) has a wave length of 1.3 meters, or 4.3 feet.

                                  That means one cycle of Middle C measures 4.3 feet - peak to peak.

                                  It also means 261 cycles enter your ear each second, which your brain
                                  interprets as the sound of midlle C.

                                  The article says the Perseus "Sound Wave" is 57 octaves below middle C
                                  (a million billion times below the limit of human hearing).

                                  This is so ridiculously low, it is impossible to even imagine!

                                  Some facts: Each octave down halves the frequency, and doubles the wave
                                  length.

                                  If you double Middle C's wavelength 57 times, the resultant wavelength
                                  is
                                  30,000 light years wide, or 176,358,766,237,440,000 (176+ quadrillion)
                                  miles.

                                  Prof Steve Allen, of the Institute of Astronomy and a co-investigator in
                                  the research, says The speed of sound in the X-ray emitting gas, which
                                  depends on its temperature, will be in the of order 1000 km/s (2,236,936
                                  mph).

                                  At that rate, even if there were an "ear" sensitive to a frequency that
                                  low, it would take about 9 million years just to receive ONE CYCLE!

                                  How can a vibration that is a million billion times below the limit of
                                  human hearing be called a "sound wave"?

                                  We don't call electromagnetic vibrations "light waves" when they are far
                                  below the visible spectrum.

                                  They are called radio waves, microwaves, etc., not "light" or "light
                                  waves".

                                  So, does it make sense to call the Perseus ripples "sound waves"?

                                  ************************************************************************\
                                  *****

                                  --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "MICHAEL MORAN" <michael754@...> wrote:

                                  > How did the galaxy tank-up before starting that note?

                                  Of
                                  > Tim Fagan
                                  > Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 05:31 PM
                                  > To: Bert Laurence; bbshop list BS harmonet
                                  > Subject: Re: [bbshop] Re: Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe &
                                  other
                                  > music trivia
                                  >

                                  > A few light years, at least.
                                  >
                                  > From: Bert Laurence b.laurence@... <mailto:b.laurence%40gte.net> >
                                  > Date: Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:35 PM
                                  > To: bbshop list BS harmonet bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:bbshop%40yahoogroups.com> >
                                  > Subject: [bbshop] Re: Lowest known Bb pitch pipe in the universe &
                                  other
                                  > music trivia
                                  >
                                  > >What is believed to be the lowest known sustained musical note
                                  > > in the universe is caused by the rumbling of a black hole in
                                  > > the Perseus Galaxy.

                                  http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/09sep_blackhol\
                                  esou
                                  > nds/
                                  > > What I find cool is that it is a *** B FLAT ***, 57 octaves
                                  > > below middle C, and has been rumbling constantly at that pitch
                                  > > for at least 2.5 Billion years...
                                  >
                                  > Can a chime for the famous barbershop wind chimes be cut for this
                                  tone?
                                  > How long would the chime be?
                                  >
                                  > Inquiring minds want to know!!
                                  >
                                  > Bert

                                • Keith Mc
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                                    MICHAEL MORAN <michael754@...> wrote:
                                    > How did the galaxy tank-up before starting that note?

                                    Uh, as I said, it's a black hole, out in space... It "tanked up"
                                    by eating a bunch of stars in its "neighborhood". (As Hawking
                                    showed, black holes aren't really "black". They emit energy all the time.)

                                    > My question is can we then get other that vibrate to make a four part chord?

                                    Make three other black holes, and "tune" them to match that octave???
                                    Gee, if you can figure out how to do THAT ("safely" of course ;-)
                                    I'd be REALLY impressed... <grin>

                                    But if you're honestly asking about making a set of real wind
                                    chimes for your backyard, DUCK... That has been talked to death
                                    many times over the years. It's one of the few "touchy subjects"
                                    to bring up here on the list again.
                                    My honest advice: Google "barbershop wind chimes", or check
                                    out the group's archives, for complete instructions.
                                    Google gives you this hit at the top, a compendium of instructions:
                                    ... http://arneberg.com/harmonet/threads/windchimes.html

                                    My $0.02... Be aware you REALLY don't want to make a BBS 7th
                                    windchime, as it NEVER RESOLVES. Trust me on this... Even for
                                    BBS nuts like me, it can drive you MORE nuts. IMHO it's MUCH
                                    nicer to hear your favorite 4 note major "tuneup" chord [for
                                    instance Bb or F for the men], so you can take a pitch & sing.

                                    Good luck! (...making a chime, or making the black holes... Either one... ;-)

                                    - Keith Mc.
                                    <sung> "It's a barbershop note in our neighborhood, ..."
                                  • Michael Moran
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                                      The vibration would probably damage your internal organs.

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                    • Jeff Buckles
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                                        On 10/5/2012 5:20 AM, Michael Moran wrote:
                                        > The vibration would probably damage your internal organs.

                                        This is proven by the fact that you would die
                                        while the wave is passing through you. :)

                                        -- Jeff Buckles
                                        -- Aloha, OR, USA