Re: [bbshop] I am involved

  • John Witmer
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2012
      Hey Gary,
      You, or your chapter, may have confused "attending" HOD meetings and "voting" at HOD meetings. Each chapter has one vote, but that doesn't mean that lots of people from your chapter can't attend.
      I've attended many HOD meetings and noticed several non-delegates in attendence. The doors are closed because some foursome is usually woodshedding in the hall. (You wouldn't want official barbershop business disrupted by singing. <grin>)

      I too have belonged to 1st place choruses as well as last place choruses. The primary difference is not which songs they are working on, but how they work on them. The 1st place choruses tend to spend just a much time and effort on non-competition songs as they do on the songs they plan to sing in contest. The effort, for them, is to produce top-notch singing. In other words the better choruses tend to work a lot harder than the others on all their music. But just as in most facets of life, it isn't how hard you work that produces results but how effectively you work.

      Chordially, John Witmer
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
        Understand the need to focus on "competition" but never forget each member cuts a check annually to belong to a barbershop chapter.

        If we're not "the Greatest Show On Earth" on the chapter meeting night, we lose. They find something more interesting.

        Beating two songs to death for that long a period of time would force me to re-evaluate "my night out". Not saying I'm not interested in personally becoming a better singer = allowing the chorus to become a higher quality singing force…but stop and think for a minute.

        Is there a better way to be more effective, offer a little bit for everyone to enjoy and still get the job done. Answer is yes.

        President's leadership of the chapter is key.

        Director (Associate Directors) and Music Team need to realize not everyone is wired the same so variety in planning is key.

        About 10 years ago, we beat two songs to death over 2 1/2 months during the summer. We came in 7th in the fall.

        Our Director asked us at our next Board meeting what WE thought.

        I told him: "The next time we beat two songs again over the course of the summer, I will find something else to do."

        He got the message.

        Since then, we've recruited, hired a high quality 30 year old HS Vocal Music Director, collegiate quartet experience at International, strong, effective Music Team who are all in sync,

        Driven by chapter Admin leadership - who all agree on the following:

        - Making sure our chapter meetings / rehearsals a not predicative.

        - Inject many things the late Chuck Greene taught us in his CACM workshop. (VARIETY!) Something for everyone.

        - Prepare a quality "script" letting chapter members know ahead of time what to expect, what songs to prepare for so some poor guy isn't hammering out notes on a piano for an ill-equipped section of the chapter. (That drives me nuts anyway). J

        Must be working.

        As a 24 year member of this Iowa chapter, we've had north of 65% ~ 70% consistent summer attendance for the first time since I joined.

        First 23 years, barely enough to form a VLQ and wasted 50 mile R/T drive for myself.

        Chapter needs to sit down and determine what kind a chapter they want to be.

        Social or Competitive. Most line up somewhere between those goal posts.

        Important to allow everyone to provide their input.

        Makes for a healthy chapter and they feel ownership.

        If we fail to offer a quality night out for the boys, their TV remote control will be our biggest competitor.

        Starts with strong, effective leadership at the top.

        + common sense.

        Regards,

        Mike Scott
        CSD Membership Development VP
        Algona, IA. Chapter Prez

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
          Hey all!

          I am wondering if any of you know if there is a female arrangement of “Rockin’ With the Rythm of the Rain” ala the Judds?

          Thanks!

          Andren Moyer

          andren@...

        • David
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2012
            Treating all the songs as if they were contest songs -- what a great idea!

            Some years back, I attended a chapter show out of my usual stomping grounds. The songs were good enough, and the audience was enjoying the show and getting their money's worth.

            But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well -- dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.

            And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

            Afterwards, talking to the director, I named the two songs and asked if those were their contest package. He proudly confirmed my guess. I didn't share with him that I was, in fact, disappointed. Knowing what his chorus was capable of, I felt cheated that they only gave me that excitement and energy for two of their songs.

            Please note: I love "pretty good" choruses, and think that we under-rate how enjoyable and entertaining "average" barbershop really is. But if you're going to put in the effort to improve the chorus's performance on two songs, why not do it for *all* of your songs? It's really not that much more difficult.

            Dave Garstang

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Robert Farnham <robertfarnham@...> wrote:

            > Why are you spending 90% of your time preparing for competition?  Our director gave us 6 new songs to learn before summer began, we are competing on Oct 28th in NE District.  He may know which ones we are doing in competition, but no one else does.  We are doing our best to learn all 6 songs as our Annual Show is one week after competition.  Too much emphasis placed on winning, not enough on singing well and having fun in most choruses, I would guess.  Just my humble opinion,  Much prefer our directors approach!
            > Bob Farnham
            > Bass - REWIND!
            > Bass - Concord Coachmen Chorus
            > Bass - Lakes Region Chorus
            > Bass - Kytchyn Sync!

            <SNIP>
          • Jordan Truesdell
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
              Imagine if we required a 12 song repertoire, from which the director is
              notified 72 hours before contest by the district of the 2 contest songs, so
              that proper costume/props are brought to the competition.

              The dichotomy happens in my chorus, too. We have two songs we sing in the
              high 60s, a handful in the low 60s, and the rest in the 50s (imho, I'm not
              a judge). But many members feel we are an "almost 70" chorus and that
              number somehow magically applies to all of our songs. I get some menacing
              looks when I (as Music VP) claim we've got show songs that barely make the
              50s. We skipped District this fall, in part because I didn't have time to
              prep the show given the rigor with which we rehearse contest music.

              On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM, David <garsinger@...> wrote:

              > But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men
              > were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp
              > and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well --
              > dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.
              >
              > And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

            • tpblead
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                A few years ago in MAD district, one of our choruses brought six songs to contest. After the men were on stage and set on the risers, the director approached the judges and asked them to pick two of six cards that had been prepared. That was how they picked the two songs that the chorus would sing for the contest. They just couldn't decide which songs they preferred, so they came prepared to sing any of them. After the cards were drawn, he turned to the chorus, told them which song they were singing and had the pitch blown. They did not win the contest by any means, but they scored pretty well, as I recall.

                Tim Buell
                Alexandria Harmonizers

                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Truesdell <jordan@...> wrote:

                > Imagine if we required a 12 song repertoire, from which the director is
                > notified 72 hours before contest by the district of the 2 contest songs, so
                > that proper costume/props are brought to the competition.
                >
                > The dichotomy happens in my chorus, too. We have two songs we sing in the
                > high 60s, a handful in the low 60s, and the rest in the 50s (imho, I'm not
                > a judge). But many members feel we are an "almost 70" chorus and that
                > number somehow magically applies to all of our songs. I get some menacing
                > looks when I (as Music VP) claim we've got show songs that barely make the
                > 50s. We skipped District this fall, in part because I didn't have time to
                > prep the show given the rigor with which we rehearse contest music.
                >
                > On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM, David <garsinger@...> wrote:
                >

                > > But then, suddenly, the chorus's attitude shifted. For two songs, the men
                > > were focused and radiated excitement. For two songs, the moves were crisp
                > > and energetic, the singing was clean, and the dynamics were -- well --
                > > dynamic. For two songs, they brought me to the edge of my seat.
                > >
                > > And then it was over. Back to being a "pretty good" chorus.

              • John Elving
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 4, 2012
                  Having been in three different districts and several different chapters, and
                  having visited many chapters, I think that this may be the norm. We always
                  think that we are better than we are. And if someone tells us different,
                  they don't really know what they are talking about.

                  I think that most choruses have moments of brilliance. The real difference
                  between most choruses and the really great choruses is consistency. The
                  great choruses, and I'm not rally talking about top competition choruses,
                  work hard at being consistently great. The rest of us (my chapter included)
                  are satisfied with "good enough" most of the time and expect great to come
                  about without putting in the effort needed to be consistently great.

                  It's the consistency that makes choruses great, not that they are any better
                  to start with than the "good enough" choruses who don't strive for great
                  consistency.

                  --
                  Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

                  John Elving